LANSDOWN BUYS BRISTOL RUGBY
Eli (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 06:32
The Mrs S.L. rumours were true then!?

Steve Lansdown buys Bris

Re: LANSDOWN BUYS BRISTOL RUGBY
bristolblue (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 06:38
Good to see that he is aiming for sustainable growth. Interesting times!

nick chard (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 07:03
well,there is the money man we all wanted,,,got loads!!,,so the next step is playing at ashton gate then,,,when the rovers move to the UWEs new stadium,dont care really about that,,,it means BRISTOL RUGBY ARE SAFE,and that is what matters.ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.

C"MON BRISTOL

Chris holi (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 07:20
I heard another rumour about him that he would be interested in outbidding sainsburys for the Mem (heard at the same time I'd heard the rumour he was behind us) That for me would be the perfect solution. Stay in OUR true home & just upgrade parts of it. Exciting times indeed

bris4life (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 07:25
Great News! So now we know, and all the whispers about secret backers etc were more than just rumour.

So stability at last, and for the long term I hope, not just a short raising of expectations.

With his track record at Bristol City, his obvious wealth and the squad playing "Bristol Fashion" and hopefully on the verge of promotion things are looking healthier than they have done in years.

Let the good times roll - without getting carried away!!!

C'mon Bris!!(Sm134)

nick chard (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 07:28
all we want now is the other rumour to be true as well,,,davi lemi returning!!!

Slaphead (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 07:35
Great news!!! Made my day.(Sm13)

T J (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 07:37
For those that don't know (and Big Dave will back me up on this) SL has effectively been bank-rolling us for a long time already.

Definitely the best news this club has had for a long, long time & exciting times ahead for us.

bristolblue (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 08:06
Probably best not to get carried away with stadium rumours whether they have any foundation or not. Like all good businessmen I am sure that the chairman and CEO have agreed a 5 and 10 year plan with the major shareholder. Let's just enjoy the ride.

C'mon Bris!!

gran (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 08:14
Excellent news, despite my negative previous postings about the influence of sugar daddies on other clubs. Lets hope that SL accepts one or two fundamentals

1 That there should be no ring fencing to protect investment, as promoted by other sugar daddies.
2 That the new investment is used to quietly promote local players, and a local club spirit, and is not simply ego driven.

It seems that SL is certainly moving in the right direction on point 2, unlike some other clubs where they buy in any old saffer.

Bristol rugby and football has needed someone like this for over 50 years of under achievement.

SBOB.RFC (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 08:18
This is fantastic news!!

I like the way that even with SL's backing this season and perhaps other seasons, we have not been wasting money on overpaid has beens and have been bringing in players that want to play for the Club.

Let's hope the rumour about the Mem is also true as I'm not too keen on us playing at Ashton Gate or the propsed new stadiums in Long Ashton or UWE.

Onwards and Upwards.....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/MIKEBATES/TWEETY.gif

Mikey Boy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 08:20
Excellent news. Let's hope this backing will now allow us to keep our homegrown talent instead of watching other clubs benefit.

alcoholic (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 08:24
Heard the rumour about the Mem as well, but it probably stems from the same source.

Great news for sustainable rugby in Bristol. A great positive step forward for the club.

Edb (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 08:36
Great news, nice to know a bit more about the business plan everyone has been talking about.

Mem rumours if true would be icing on the cake.

I wonder what Rovers think of it all.

venik (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 08:38
Fantastic news!(Sm128)

elegia (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 08:44
sounds like he has a good plan & like the perfect role model for any backer targetting a sustainable premiership team within 3 years

thanks for helping in the past mr white knight & welcome aboard!

http://www.neworderonline.com/Photos/Cache/9731.2111.avatar.JPG
the ace of bass

BigO (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 09:01
FANTASTIC news!

The sleeping giant awakes again.

Thanks Steve, and well done to CB & SC for the great way this has all been managed. Respect!

shaunp (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 09:13
I cant see Mr Lansdown out bidding sainsburys for the Mem, the last thing he wants to do is upset them, remember who is buying Ashton Gate if City get the go ahead for their new stadium.....

WilliamBlessing (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 09:16
Sugar daddies are never a good idea......unless you've got one! I think Mr Lansdown neither wants to be, nor seen to be, a sugar daddy. What is more sensible is that he combines his undoubted acumen as a successful businessman with the other essential component of any business and that is exceptional knowledge, judgement and skill in the field of rugby.

One without the other just wouldn't work. And we owe a huge debt of thanks to a long line of men of Bristol who have wrestled with the intractable challenges of making a rugby club, let alone a football club, pay, or at least survive.

Most have had either fatal heart attacks (2 in Bristol's case), near nervous breakdowns (1), no names!, or simple retirement with exhaustion in seeming disgrace and dishonour, alas.

Messrs Chris Booy as previous majority shareholder and his Chief Executive, Mr Steve Gorvett, along with the Board that emerged from the Consortium, including the evergreen Mr Malcolm Pearce, bless him, are therefore to be thanked and congratulated for their fortitude and valour on the Road to Damascus (substitute for Damascus either Ashton Vale or the University of the West of England, (UWE) Sports Complex, Stoke Gifford three miles north of the Memorial Ground, Bristol or our present home.

These are gentlemen of both distinction and honour and deserve our thanks, applause and continued support, each as best we can. Myself I couldn't run a sweet shop.

Perhaps instead I might be able to express as eloquently as I can on behalf of everyone at Bristol Rugby Club our heartfelt thanks to all who have served and continue to serve our great club and a great big welcome to Mr Steve Lansdown our new owner.

Proud Men of Bristol and Bristol Rugby Club.

further debate in the Evening Post...

[www.thisisbristol.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 09:51 by WilliamBlessing.

shaunp (IP Logged)
07 February, 2012 09:20
Well said Bill

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net