rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Village green application withdrawn
Old Son (NLI) (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 12:57
I have just seen on Twitter that the Village green application has been removed and that the BCFC new stadium is now likely to go ahead. Interesting times for us I would think. I can't really see our new owner wanting us to play anywhere else than his new baby!

Re: Village green application withdrawn
alcoholic (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 13:52
Nope, it hasn't been removed. London & Cardiff still have cases. Seems to be the work of a lone individual without the backing of the rest of the group.

20 February, 2012 14:17
According to ThisisBristol the application for judicial review into the city council’s decision not to fully ratify town green status for the whole site has been unexpectedly withdrawn.

alcoholic nli (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:39
This is Bristol reported that, but they only tweet the stories that they publish on the website even if it is out of date.

Geoff Twentyman, BBC Bristol, BBC Bristol Sport & 24/7 Bristol at least tweeted about possible confusion & conflict in the reported story, even representatives of the lawyers involved tweeted as well. Can't get onto my twitter account at the moment to find the latest, but it wouldn't suprise me if it hasn't been removed fully.

alcoholic (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 17:11
Actually Bristol City Council have gone public and said the judicial review was in one mans name and that has been withdrawn.

All very confusing

Rich. (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:57
BBC report on this dreaful yesterday (by that football loving Parsmore who seems very keen to avoid mentioning us whenever he can) - headlined that Ashton Vale could now ahead but by the end of the report it seemed that there was a good chance that the only change will be that a new applicant's name will replace the orginal one. It was as if the first half of the report was put together in the morning when they thought it was all done and dusted and then the second half added on but withouth a thought to change the start or the headline!

I suspect they can't put in a new applicant name but who knows? Got to say that the letter withdrawing his name sounded 'fishy'- to go from being (presumably) really opposed to then end up saying I fully support/am in favour of the ground being built now seems odd. Withdrawing your name as you are now less opposed would be one thing but to seemingly change sides is odd and (if this was a film) would make me wonder if either City got 'their man' undercover with the Village Green lot and he put his name forward (knowing he would then retract it) or some money/photos or whatever has changed hands ... As I say only if it was a film (or movie if you must insist) but odd nevertheless.

22 February, 2012 16:40
Too add my pennyworth to this debate.... being a resident of the area, I am in favour of the Stadium and always have been.

The person who withdrew their objections to the proposed Stadium is probably like me, with two young adults (over 18) one of whom cannot get a job even though she has a armful of qualifications and BTECS with excellent grades. This person said in the letter in the Evening Post that it would create jobs in the area and hopefully give job opportunities too the young unemployed. I can totally understand this persons about turn when they have concerns about the massive amount of young people who seem to have no hope for the future and are largely unemployed. This was the reasoning behind the withdrawal.

When I have been on the protesters website they are mainly 1) not from our area, 2) have only just moved into the area, 3) Yummy Mummies, 4) Green party types and not really representative of the community of the areas of Bedminster, Ashton, Ashton Vale. North Street ,which I admit was a bit run down until the Tobacco Factory, is now filled with Pavement Café's and Vegetarian food shops, with the Yummie Mummies and arty types sipping their Columbian Roast Decaff Mocha Choca Skinny Soya lattes (I prefer just skinny lattes myself) and I do feel a bit ...ummmm... intimidated by the lack of Bedminster accents now like I speaks. Thank god Clarks Pies are still there.

I'll now get my coat.

Rich. (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 16:58
Maybe Karen - but why has it taken him so very long to feel the jobs benefit is so great that it turns him from being so opposed that he puts his name down on a legal application for village green status (purely to stop the stadium from being built) to being a supporter of the stadium. Feels odd to me but maybe he had certain personal qualities which led others to ask him to be the chosen name and he was then enough against the stadium that he said OK.

22 February, 2012 19:01
Rich

Maybe he/she felt pressured by the protesters and it got too far, or maybe he/she got fed up with all politics involved. We will never know unless they go public. I can imagine how they felt though... alot of pressure from both camps.. considering most people in Sarf Bristol want this to go ahead and its only a small minority group against it. They have promised there will still be a village green patch for the dog walkers. The group were initially against Tesco's having the Bristol City Stadium for rebuild, as was I. When Sainsbury's bid and it was agreed they could have it for redevelopment, the group became smaller again and renamed themselves Basics, as Sainsburys was already established and just moving down the road they lost more support. The group changed its name to Savers and it then became more of an issue about the dog walkers and green space, the Sainsburys aspect of the argument seems to have died a death. So this person probably got fed up with whole thing as they are loosing support from locals. Either that or a back hander was involved... but I didn't say that.(Sm100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2012 19:13 by karen(wife of nogs).

Rich. (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 10:05
Indeed not Karen!!

dpw (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 12:29
Update..........
Judge Anthony Thornton has allowed the second review to take place outside of this time limit.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Meerkats1970 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 12:51
Thank god Clarks Pies are still there.

Now if only the current or new stadium could do a deal with Clarkes Pies!!!.

Karen, I can assure you that there is bedminster accent training going on in the local nurseries. My three year old asked me "wheres it too??" the other day

23 February, 2012 18:27
Meerkats,

I'm glad your 3yr old is getting the full Bemmie training, as long as they don't teach them to wear shell suits and swig Special Brew from cans outside of the The Barley Mow in their mobility scooters... you know the type...lol

Big Dave (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 19:29
Karen, your analysis is genius, pure genius. Steve Lansdown should get you to run the campaign against the campaign. You'd send them greenies running back to Redlun with them tails between their legs, no problem.

Bristol Welsh (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 14:34
Lots obviously goes on south of the River, bit like a foreign country. Think I'll stay North of the River unless I'm on my way to Weston to see my Mum

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net