rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mark Tainton on the Scrum
Platwell House (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 06:43
Did anyone listen to it? Anything interesting came out of the interview?

Re: Mark Tainton on the Scrum
Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 07:32
He said we should have 2 more players joining before the end of the season- he Then implied that Piatau was 1 of them so just the 1 to go.
He spoke very well about how he'd improved morale in the camp by finishing training earlier in the day allowing players to focus on analysing the opposition and spending more time with their families.
He assumes that England will come knocking for Woodward at some point.
Varndell has completely changed his attitude and is "1st man on the team sheet" (after Woodward you'd assume!)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some good stuff but it was a good interview and if you search for "the scrum" on iPlayer radio it comes straight up!

11 January, 2017 07:37
Ah yes the most interesting thing for me was him talking about foreign players. Apparently we held off signing Matthewson for a bit because he's a foreign player and you're only allowed 2 in the matchday 23.
I assume that means only 1 of Lam, Lemi and Perinese could play with him but I thought they'd all been in the team a few times earlier in the season- I could be wrong though!

RJC (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 07:43
I thought the South Sea Islanders were not classed as foreigners?
Because I am sure we've had Lam, Lemi, Tonga in the same team this season? I Maybe wrong though.

I would imagine it would be Palamo, Piatau & Matthewson now considering Smid & BJ Edwards have moved on for the season.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 08:07
The Varndell comment may suggest a falling out with Robbo at some point.

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 08:26
Quote:
RJC
I thought the South Sea Islanders were not classed as foreigners?
Because I am sure we've had Lam, Lemi, Tonga in the same team this season? I Maybe wrong though.

I would imagine it would be Palamo, Piatau & Matthewson now considering Smid & BJ Edwards have moved on for the season.

But Piatau is a Tongan international player - though if, as I think he was, he was born in New Zealand, then maybe for these purposes he doesn't get caught by the South See islander thing (which I think you are right about). Maybe the is a 'foreigners' quota for all contracted players as well? If so Smit going may be key. Very unlikely he'd be in 23 so ......

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 08:29
I don't think Piatau counts either as he is Tongan thought the only 2 in squad were Matthewson and Palamo. Saffas don't count either or Sarries would have been in trouble a while ago!

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 08:33
It might be more to do with the minimum England qualified thingy with I think 6 allowed if you want the payment which would be first teamers of Matthewson, R Williams, Lemi, Lam, Perenise, Palamo, Tonga, Cortez, Traynor, Evans, Henson, Piatau. Maybe why we haven't seen more of Lemi and Evans recently?

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 08:36
I think Cortes and Nemasde are our current foreign players. (and B J Edwards)

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 08:38
Forgot about Bevington, Nemesadze, JWilliams, Pisi, Tuohy too. Quite a list.

11 January, 2017 09:26
European Players are definitely ok because of the Bosman ruling so Bev and Tuohy are ok. Says so on Prem website.

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:49
Quote:
EverOptimistic
I think Cortes and Nemasde are our current foreign players. (and B J Edwards)

Yep think your right and so BJ going 'helps'. That still leaves a ? though if it is only about match day squad as Edwards never likely to be in it so why would that stop us signing a potential starting 9?

As for money for the number of English qualified players in squad, hopefully that wouldn't stop us signing players to keep us in the Prem.

youngone (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:04
when discussing woodwards head injury tainton said "he'd miss this weeks game but he wasnt due to play anyway". They then discussed the HIA and the new tackle laws, neither seemed overly focussed on jasons layoff other than what tainton said which to me must be a good thing

Earlsbris (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:12
Most encouragingly he suggested that retention and recruitment is on track (although I wouldn't have expected him to say otherwise)

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:02
Thanks for drawing ourattention to that PH. I've just listened to it and have to give Twentyman credit for a good interview.

More impressed with Mark Tainton everytime I hear him speak.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:20
Great interview - I had no idea of the extent of his previous experience.

I really hope he'll be retained in some capacity by Lam but he'll obviously not be without a job for long if he's not - particularly if he's kept us up.

BigO (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:56
Really good interview - top quality bloke and one we need to keep at all costs. Great questions from 20Man.

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:41

EC Boy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:59
Thanks for flagging this. Blimey, what a good bloke Mark sounds.

Regardless of whether we stay up or not, I so hope he sticks with us. The interview implies that right now he might be performing a DoR-type role (meeting agents, etc) whereas I thought Bristol Sport liked the COO/Head Coach set-up, but Pat Lam is coming in so what role would Mark have? I so hope we get this right.

By the way: what an inspired choice Mark was as Acting Head Coach. Gorvett, Booy etc could have picked any one of our coaches - I must confess, I'd have gone for Bakewell - but Taints has done an outstanding job. One decision that Bristol Sport got absolutely right, so hats off in my book.

Olly (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 19:50
A question that could be asked is. Do we really need Pat Lam?? It seems to me that if he had pre planned any replacements, Taints and co with all the improvements they have made so far must've made him think again. Are the board kicking themselves and thinking they should've left Taints to it? It's an interesting problem to have, But one that has to be got right.
It wasn't that long ago that many here had written the season off.
Many had written off a player or two.
One or two had demanded sackings, selling players etc. So from me to Taints Bakes and co as well as the team as a whole, thanks for making so many eat their words and topping up my glass.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net