rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Referee on Friday is...
Pasty Exile (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:50
Marius Mitrea, who issued 2 yellow cards for high tackles in the recent Scarlets vs Ulster game;

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Re: Referee on Friday is...
Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 13:37
These are harsh calls.

I appreciate what the authorities are attempting to achieve but when, as in the first one, the ball carrier is crouched what are you supposed to do?
The second one was nothing imo and I cannot see that the ball carriers safety was compromised, in fact the tackler puts him down safely

Did anyone else note that Barritt has been banned for 3 weeks and Barrington got no further sanction - the panel said ref was incorrect - perhaps we should have challened the decision on Pisi and cited the flying Shillock?

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 15:48
Didn't think the first one that led to a penalty try was particularly harsh. Might not have been a yellow under the old laws, but I don't think anyone would have complained if it was a penalty try for a high tackle.

the Jake Ball one was harsh.

I see that last night the citing panel gave Barritt a 3 week ban and took no further action against the Sarries second row who actually got sent off for the Parling challenge at the weekend, suggesting/implying that really he ought not to have been sent off at all.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:20
Didn't think the 8 in that Ulster game was a card either, the winger under current laws with the swinging arm maybe but there wasn't much force (ie; pulled out of it as best he could)... Remember the tackle on I think Edwards earlier in the season which set off Hawkins as the try was being scored and Hawkins ended up being carded?Definitely at least a yellow now (I said it was such at the time due to the situation and manner of the tackle) - would it be a red now?

Graham_U (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:32
I like Matrea, think he is a good ref, even if the Welsh media don't.

I thought both were decision were close but given the directives probably right. Bowe should have been carded for the swinging arm, the No.8 was not dangerous and probably only got carded as it was in the 5M and stopped the try. His tackle was clearly one arm above the shoulder on the neck so illegal.

The new laws want player to think about where they tackle so if you can not tackle legal I guess then don't. There are some good interviews with Maurice Field and Gwyn Jones on the BBC that make this point, the the players need to change their behaviour and stop blaming the ref. The worrying thing from the Field interview is that it appears that the IRFU or Allan Rolland their Ref cordingator have not issued any warnings. Also looked like John Lacy had not got the message as he let no end of high shots go in the Ospreys Connacht match.

The Jack Ball card was correct as having made the tackle he then pulled on the neck which is dangerous, this was after he had hit high so can not claim accident.

I'm surprised Barrington got off, as whilst it starts off as an accident he definitely turned his shoulder into Parling which made bad contact with his head. The fact that he may already have been knocked out to me makes it worst not an excuse. Had he been in position to make a legal tackle or get out the way then it would be an excuse. Similarly I think Pisi would probably been treated better had he not ducked and turned his back on Shillcock in the air.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net