rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Gav leaving us
Tiny George (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 16:37
Moving to Newport Gwent Dragons at the end of the season.

Understandable given the recent signing of Ian Madigan.

Always made a difference, and when fit still oozes class.

Good luck Gavin, thanks for all your efforts in the blue and white hoops.

TG

Re: Gav leaving us
Big Dave (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 16:42
Seconded. He has been plagued by injuries here so we never saw the best of him. Things would have been different in 2015, I am sure, had he not had that awful break. He proved a lot of people wrong and I wish him well for the future.

Bris nut (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 16:48
It's not just what he does on the pitch
Speaking to Will Hurrell at Sale match and he was absolutely enthused by his professionalism and how much extra time he spent passing on his knowledge to Will and others
A sad loss

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 16:50
Wish he could have stayed but suppose it was inevitable. Wish him all the luck with injuries from now on in.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 16:56
Been a top professional and has put in some great performances for us. Wish him all the best. With Madigan signing, Searle and sheedy will both be needing minutes to progress next season so can see why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2017 16:56 by JamboBris.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 16:59
Top player and with Madigan coming in it was always on the cards. So long Gav, thanks for the memories

Rich. (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 17:11
Sad for Bris and us but all the very best Gav!! - one of Rugby's biggest names, who proved a lot of people right by delivering for us on the pitch. Will be greatly missed in so many ways

BS21 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 19:25
A great player. Will miss his class. He has been a delight to watch in a Bristol shirt.

Good luck Gavin.

Peter_B (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 19:43
He can still win a game on his own. Good luck Gav.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2017 19:44 by Peter_B.

Fatkatz (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 20:26
Gav leaving was kind of inevitable given FH situation, but I would like to think every Bris supporter will leave him in no doubt that he is one of us at every opportunity - legend!

airdog (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 06:23
he was quoted in the Post recently saying he would like a new contract with us for another year , assume this news means he was not offered one .

Olly (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 07:20
Shame he's going in reality it's probably an easy business choice given he's had such rotten luck with injuries of late but in my opinion he has a huge amount of knowledge, skills and experience I'd of liked to have seen him passing onto our players as a coach, any game time he did manage would've been an added bonus.
So from me to Gav, Thanks for everything you've done for us and the memories you have given. Hope this next move proves to be a huge success for you. All the very best mate.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

keynsham1 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 07:36
I actually think he added a lot behind the scenes and if he had stayed fit for vital games we may have struggled on. However I think he should go, squad to reduce to 40 players with average age of 28. We need to come back up with a very fit and hungry team sprinkled with some star dust. I expect pisi, Shane, piatau, lemi to follow. Woodward and hurrell as well but not up to the club. I think crane may stay to dog it out next year.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 10:09
Never liked him in his "big time" days, but has been an absolute star and professional since the day he joined us. I've even defended him when oppo fans have been slagging him off saying the sorts of things that I felt about him in his earlier career. He filled that big whole we had at 12 and probably our best/most important player. I think we did see the best of him in some fantastic performances, just not often enough due to some unlucky injuries, I don't buy the fragile or targeted theories of some. Also his recover has generally been in record time.

Ironically even at 35 he is still the best FH and most creative 12 in the club. If we go down, I actually think he would be better for us next year than the mega buck being spent on Madigan, as it would have allowed more time for Searle and Sheedy to develop, which appears to be the role Dragons have lined up for him. He would have been an ideal skills coach and probably a far better backs coach than Peel.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 11:41
Bit disappointed with this. As others have alluded to, he's been busy behind the scenes as well as quality on the pitch.

Will be missed and have to say he's a good guy whom has picked up an undeserved rep with some aspects of the wider rugby world.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 15:34

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 16:22
Quote:

Agree fully with Steve Cotton. Plenty of good times with Gav, but Madigan (with Sheedy as understudy) is clearly the future.

I also agree it will always be a shame that we'll never know how 16/17 would have turned out if Gav hadn't been hit late in that opening Harlequins match. One of the pivotal moments of our season in my opinion.

dpw (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 16:32
Stuart Davies to meet Newport rugby supporters over proposed WRU takeover

"The alternative is financial disaster and receivership."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Peter D (IP Logged)
27 March, 2017 16:40
Yes, more uncertainty going to Newport than staying here. Presumably the Newport RFC shareholders will vote this through. The Welsh regional sides are starting to look a bit like a bad joke. Newport Gwent Dragons are not, apparently, the only region struggling. (Newport County could be stuffed as the Football do not permit clubs to play on a 4G pitch. There might be compensation to be paid there.) The WRU are going to need deep pockets.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
28 March, 2017 11:22
Given the state of the pitch at Rodney parade for a good few years now. there is never much grass left by this time of the season, its a bit ironic that they won't be allowed to football on what would be a much better surface, whereas they are allowed to play football at the top level (international) on artificial pitches. When I read this and that there is something a 10 year contract in place, I did wonder what was the sense in the plan to put in a artificial pitch rather than a 3G/Desso like that at AG. I assume Newport County currently play a decent rent and would be looking for massive compensation, certainly enough to upgrade their old ground, unless there is some contractual get out.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net