rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Thretton palamo
Bristol_Fan (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 11:21
Does anyone have an update on whether he's staying next season because I want him to stay next season

Re: Thretton palamo
Peter_B (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 11:29
[www.bristolrugby.co.uk]

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Bristol_Fan (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 11:33
Ahh ok thanks I'm guessing he is

Portisteve (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 11:54
A year in championship with us properly gelling could do wonders for his handling and decision making.

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 12:03
He is not and never will be Premiership standard, and will also struggle against any of the decent Championship sides - quite a surprising decision to retain him if that is the case.

Bristol_Fan (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 12:14
I think he can do well under Pat Lam and his coaching team

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 12:22
Quote:
Singapore Sam
He is not and never will be Premiership standard, and will also struggle against any of the decent Championship sides - quite a surprising decision to retain him if that is the case.

I would never say never, but I do agree that he was some way short of Prem standard this year.

We all saw why he was a good player on a Sevens pitch with ball in hand, but on a pitch where the average opponent is much bigger, and playing a position where his defence and lack of lateral movement could be targeted, he fell short.

I will be delighted if he is around to prove a point the season after next, but i have my doubts.

Jonny thomas (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 12:23
He's massive in attack but needs help in positioning and defence i would think a good coach could get him playing well

expectingrain (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 12:28
I assume his contract doesn't expire at the end of this season, which sort of explains it, sort of.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:02
Yes - he is still under contract according to Steve Cotton at the end of March:

In Contract

A host of members of the existing squad remain in contract for next season without relegation release clauses. These, as was pointed out earlier this week, include centre Will Hurrell, who signed a two-year deal when he joined last summer.

Also still in contract are players such as utility backs Jack Tovey, Jordan Williams, Jack Wallace and Thretton Palamo, winger David Lemi, centre Tusi Pisi, fly-half Billy Searle, scrum-halves Rhodri Williams and Andy Uren, props Ryan Bevington, Gaston Cortes, Soane Tonga’uiha and Jack O’Connell, hookers Max Crumpton and Ross McMillan, locks Dan Tuohy and Giorgi Nemsadze, back-five forwards Jon Fisher, Joe Joyce, James Phillips and Sam Jeffries, flanker Nick Fenton-Wells and No 8 Jordan Crane.

New contracts

Bristol have been busy on the new contracts front in recent weeks, with winger Tom Varndell, flankers Olly Robinson and Jack Lam, centre Siale Piutau, fly-half Callum Sheedy and promising prop Ollie Dawe – an Under-20 Six Nations Grand Slam winner with England – all agreeing extended deals. (and now Ryan Edwards)

New signings

Bristol have confirmed eight new arrivals for next season, including some eye-catching names.

Steven Luatua, a 15-cap All Black back-rower who is only 25, is joining from the Auckland-based Super Rugby franchise the Blues, while 31-cap Ireland fly-half Ian Madigan, 28, is joining from French club Bordeaux Begles on a three-year deal.

Versatile Australia back Luke Morahan is also signing, with the 26-year-old joining Bristol from Western Force, while further reinforcements have been made in the form of Samoa wing/centre Alapati Leuia from Wasps, Tonga prop Sione Faletau from Yorkshire Carnegie, and England-qualified Scotland prop Jack Cosgrove from Edinburgh.

Winger George Perkins, 21, will join the club from Saracens, while 19-year-old lock Ehize Ehizode is joining from Wasps.

Definitely leaving

Nine players have confirmed they are moving on to pastures new this summer.

Winger Charlie Amesbury is off to Cambridge University to captain the Varsity team, while hooker Marc Jones and scrum-half Will Cliff are returning to Sale Sharks after two years with Bristol. Bristol-born forwards Jamal Ford-Robinson and Mitch Eadie are moving to Northampton Saints, while fly-half Gavin Henson is returning to Wales with Newport Gwent Dragons.

Three players – hooker Rob Hawkins, lock Mark Sorenson and fly-half Adrian Jarvis – have announced their respective retirements from professional rugby.

A host of members of Bristol’s existing squad are out of contract this summer – but that will not necessarily remain the case, with the club known to be continuing contract discussions with a number of players.

We know that scrum-half Martin Roberts, who recently joined Exeter Chiefs on loan, is out of contract and will be moving on, while hooker Chris Brooker – now on loan at Bath – is also out of contract this summer.

Other Bristol players whose deals are expiring include: versatile back Luke Arscott, wing Ryan Edwards(now renewed), centres Nick Carpenter and Ben Mosses, fly-half Shane Geraghty, scrum-half Alby Mathewson, props James Hall, Kyle Traynor and Anthony Perenise, locks Ian Evans, Ben Glynn and BJ Edwards, and flanker Nick Koster.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:27
In my humble opinion right now we may as well pay off Jack Wallace (just about Championship Full back play Wing in the Prem), Tusi Pisi (tellingly he is referred to as a Centre not the Fly Half he was sold to us as. but we all know what happened there),Soane Tonga’uiha (what a buy he has been!), Giorgi Nemsadze (if were're not going to play him why keep him). If it wasn't for his past history with BRFC I would also include Lemi in this list.

RJC (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:27
So there is a call to pay off players on this thread, and yet in another thread everyone is complaining that we released certain players that were retiring/moving to another club/or had been informed their contracts weren't being renewed.

You're dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't.

Wallace and Pisi might shine under Lam's style of play? We don't know that until they arrive.
As for Tonga & Nemsadze, it's a price that the club have to pay for Robinson's previous transfer dealings.
They may adapt to Lam's game plan, however I would have thought they would have featured more this season if that were the case.
Poor business by the club so far.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 15:54
Quote:
RJC
So there is a call to pay off players on this thread, and yet in another thread everyone is complaining that we released certain players that were retiring/moving to another club/or had been informed their contracts weren't being renewed.

I don't think the issue, for the majority of people, is that players have been released (its the reality of pro sport), or even that they have been paid off to leave early (they are not financially penalised, and there are merits to a smaller squad)

The issue has been the manner in which those players were informed (or not informed, as the case my be) about the decision to pay them off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net