rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bristol's Young Guns Ready to Fire!
Since 1888 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 23:02
Another excellent piece by Steve Cotton on the young talent that WILL shine next season. It's going to be an exciting year I feel!

Has anyone seem Matt Welsh play? Looks a handful at 6foot3.

Post Article

Re: Bristol's Young Guns Ready to Fire!
Platwell House (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 08:08
'Gloucester supporters were up in arms when Protheroe’s move to Bristol was announced – after all, the full-back has a reputation as one of the best young backs in the land'

Quotes like that make me feel that Bristol is on the right path for progression. Exciting times next season!

Big Dave (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 08:33
I know we will hail Lam's influence and this does bode well for Bristol in 2019/20 especially but I do wonder whether the abolition of play offs have been the key to this approach. The ageing Welsh players strategy actually made sense (if risky) made a lot of sense once we had not gone straight back up and we were in the play offs.

airdog (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 09:19
really looking forward to see how these lads get on next season . The law of averages says some will fail to live up to our hopes / expectations but hopefully they include some that will turn out to be real stars and fans favourites .
Roll on September .

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 09:30
My main concern is that we over-hype Lam and young players (especially in the pack) will be targeted by gnarlly old pros. On the other hand from what I've seen Lam seems to favour a high paced, high continuity game and younger players ought to be more up for that. We shall see.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 09:38
Quote:
Platwell House
'Gloucester supporters were up in arms when Protheroe’s move to Bristol was announced – after all, the full-back has a reputation as one of the best young backs in the land'
Quotes like that make me feel that Bristol is on the right path for progression. Exciting times next season!

A couple of Glos fans at my office said they woukd genuinely have rather kept Protheroe and not signed Woodward. They rate him very highly and a good number of them view letting him leave as a mistake.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 09:45
The only time I have seen Protheroe I am pretty sure he was at 10. Is he a 10/15 in the Matthew Morgan mould?

flatpat (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 09:57
He (Protheroe) played 10 for England U20s against Wales at Ashton Gate a couple of years back.

He looked very good, assured and a couple of steps ahead of everyone else, in an otherwise poor England performance.

There was a load of fuss about him playing for England despite being Welsh. a bit like Sheedy.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 11:06
Quote:
flatpat
He (Protheroe) played 10 for England U20s against Wales at Ashton Gate a couple of years back.
He looked very good, assured and a couple of steps ahead of everyone else, in an otherwise poor England performance.

There was a load of fuss about him playing for England despite being Welsh. a bit like Sheedy.

Yes, he was the clear stand-out player that night. Although I understand he has recently been at full-back.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 11:21
It must have been that game then although all I could recall was the name and the idea he was 10.

Pub Singer (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 15:30
Quote:
Since 1888
Another excellent piece by Steve Cotton on the young talent that WILL shine next season. It's going to be an exciting year I feel!
Has anyone seem Matt Welsh play? Looks a handful at 6foot3.

Post Article

I posted this in a thread a few weeks' ago so apologies for those that have seen it already:

He's a good player. Unlucky not to be involved in the England U18s this season, although Bristol has been well represented. You can see some of his tries here: Bristol U18 highlights. He's wearing 13 and does the final pass in the first try.

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 18:29
Thanks for the link Pub Singer, certainly some talented youngsters around and I hope we see some of them in the blue and white at Ashton Gate in the future.

Bristol Cornish (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 12:18
Steve Cotton has written another good article about how diverse the squad and the different teams we could pick

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 12:33
Can I say (as a Sarries fan) that I'm rather jealous of you having a local paper journalist who writes detailed articles without being either an idiot (as Munster's local one is) or ridiculously fawning, as a fair few others are.

Great to see your management properly committing - I suspect (and hope to) I will be seeing you in a years time.

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Portisteve (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 12:39
Squawker - don't remind us - Bristol post in their infinite wisdom are stopping reporting on rugby and steve Cotton is out of a job sad smiley

Bris nut (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 16:14
Squaker
I think part of that is because the team represents the city (like Leicester, Gloucester, Northampton etc) whereas Sarries, Wasps are seen by many of us as nothing but franchises

delthedoor (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 21:37
Where did that come from? Question, is it better to represent a city as a championship club like us, or be the current English and European champions like the franchise that is Sarries?.....Hmmm., tough call.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 22:02
Quote:
whereas Sarries, Wasps are seen by many of us as nothing but franchises
Many of us don't see it that way at all and recognise these teams to be proud and historic clubs with every right to be where they are.

Bris nut (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 22:56
Don't think you will find any of the REAL Coventry fans agreeing with that

delthedoor (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 08:39
And how many of them do you think there are, time to join the 21st century I think.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net