rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Bristol's Young Guns Ready to Fire!
Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 09:48
Oh yes, we've always got to move on haven't we?

And let's ignore the fact that one of the traditional top clubs (who, don't forget, were in the top division when leagues were created) has been allowed to suffer far worse than we have from the play-offs and then let down by the game's administrators who permitted a club that, instead of living within its means, felt so entitled to remain at the top table that it was allowed to purchase an income stream and park itself next door to another club and stymie any ambitions it had to return to the top flight.

Join that 21st century you mean? Guess what? It's that attitude that lets those at the top continue to get away with whatever they want because those who object at 'living in the past' or 'standing in the way of progress'.

Furriner (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 11:38
Not your usual considered opinion, Gray. I agree it's a shame about Cov. I used to watch them occasionally whilst one of my sons was up there at Warwick Bus School. But as a professional outfit they were a dying club even in those days and rarely got more than a few hundred spectators. Compare that with the crowds Wasps attract then ask yourself which club the rugby-following locals would prefer to have nearby .

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 12:06
We'll never know now will we? How would we have liked it if, when we were narrowly missing out on the relegation playoffs to the third tier, B**h had pitched up at Ashton Gate?

Big Dave (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 12:32
Alternate history time.

Ok, it's 2011. Cov have won the stupid relegation playoff and have kept their championship place. They finish fourth the year after.

Wasps are fighting against relegation but see a chance to move to the Ricoh Arena.

Not only are Worcester up in arms but top half of the championship Coventry kick off as well.

What would have happened in that situation? I would have hoped that Wasps could have been blocked.

But they weren't, because of the stupid, stupid play offs which allowed a failing Buckinghamshire club a lifeline and condemned one of the truly great clubs to endless medicority.

A crying shame for Cov, whatever happened to Wasps.

delthedoor (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 12:39
Well of course we wouldn't have liked it, but that's not the point. In sport there have to be winners and losers. Not every club is well run and successful[ourselves are a prime example] All clubs were able to make a reasonable fist of professionalism, some did some didn't. You seem to be advocating protection of some clubs based on a rose tinted view of some romantic golden age which never existed.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 13:34
Protection in the sense of the game's governing body doing its job and applying the rules impartially? I'm not sure I should actually have to advocate that!

A club seeking to relocate is supposed to gain permission from the relevant constituent bodies. I don't think I ever heard that happen in the case of Wasps and a move to Coventry where there was already a club is exactly the reason permission was supposed to be needed. Change is not the same as progress.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 14:07
Quote:
Don't think you will find any of the REAL Coventry fans agreeing with that
Pretty stupid. Wasps have averaged 16k this year. Have Cov ever got a crowd like that at home? Clearly not the same set of fans. Plenty of national 1 sides have prem clubs in their area, this is no different.
Regardless of Cov. wasps ARE entitled to try to survive. Rugby would not be better had they gone to the wall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2017 14:09 by Field marshall.

Bris nut (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 17:32
Hmmm
How would you have responded if they had turned up at Ashton gate a couple of years ago ??

Field marshall (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 19:06
It's free country. Rugby clubs are not franchises, and can spring up wherever they want to. Our own combinations newest club is very close to at least two others.
I'd have worried for their mental health if **** had turned up in Bristol, it would have been suicide. Other than that, nothing to stop it.
Another point is that Coventry hasn't had prem rugby since the 80's. Regardless of parochial arguments, it's clear that the arrival of wasps has rejuvenated interest in rugby in the area.

O and CONGRATS SARRIES! Eurpoean champions twice on the bounce!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2017 19:47 by Field marshall.

Furriner (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 08:37
Quote:
Bris nut
Hmmm
How would you have responded if they had turned up at Ashton gate a couple of years ago ??

In fairness, Bris Nut, Wasps didn't do to Cov what almost happened to us nearly 10 years ago when we were threatened with a Bath takeover. They still have their own ground, having relocated from the toilet that was Coundon Rd to a small but purpose built stadium; they finished 4th in Nat 1 this season; and they've clearly got cash to spend, having signed Luke Narraway and others for what they anticipate will be a push for Champ rugby next season.

I think it entirely feasible that a Champ club could survive alongside a successful Prem one in that part of the Midlands, especially with Rugby Lions having taken such a tumble in recent years.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 13:12
Quote:
Pub Singer
Quote:
Since 1888
Another excellent piece by Steve Cotton on the young talent that WILL shine next season. It's going to be an exciting year I feel!
Has anyone seem Matt Welsh play? Looks a handful at 6foot3.

Post Article

I posted this in a thread a few weeks' ago so apologies for those that have seen it already:

He's a good player. Unlucky not to be involved in the England U18s this season, although Bristol has been well represented. You can see some of his tries here: Bristol U18 highlights. He's wearing 13 and does the final pass in the first try.

I advise anyone who hasn't watched the U18 highlights to do so, the kids look brilliant! super exciting stuff!

Chet Ripley (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 16:04
Really excited about the youngsters we have signed, both from the academy and elsewhere. Let's hope the coaches can instill belief and progress their talent whilst supporting their development without too much pressure. C'mon Bris!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net