rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Attracting tomorrow's fan base
Furriner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 15:41
Just seen a really good idea on the Prem Rugby website: Newcastle will allow 2 under 11s to go free for every adult season ticket purchase. And ditto for under 15s if they're members of a locally- registered rugby club. They have the capacity to do that of course because their average gate this season was c7,000. But we're hardly likely to be filling Ashton Gate anytime soon are we?

Are our marketing boys and girls beavering away on any equally bright ideas?

Re: Attracting tomorrow's fan base
Chris holi (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 16:18
When I was a young un I used to get a "Scholars Pass" because I played for a combination club and also the school. Basically you could get free entry to any Bristol or Bristol utd game apart from cup matches.

Olly (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 18:11
If you want to attract youngsters you got to make it a place they want to be. It needs to be up front and in their faces. It needs to be marketed on everything from bus stops to social media. The shop needs to sell trendy stuff the teenagers want to wear. Ashton Gate needs to be easier to get to. No good giving a free ticket to a kid if he/she has nobody to take him or go with. Give him two or a family ticket. Kids love heroes well market the team as such.
Now I've said this before So at risk of being shot down again give a discount to deserving people in our community be it veterans nurses etc you got to make people feel part of this club and this club part of the community. You have to make Bristol rugby an important part of people's lives. Have a singles night there's so many Lonely people in this word are we not a friendly club? Swingers well perhaps a step too far.
It's The whole Friendly, no police no dogs or horses just a welcoming,trouble free sport with friendly caring fans that needs to be promoted.
Oh and before we get the why should I pay full price brigade stamping their feet I also pay for my season ticket and I want to see Ashton gate full and Bristol a successful club.
As most tickets are bought online by setting up an account offer everyone a buy so many get one free it encourages them and gives them either a ticket for them or a friend?

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2017 18:28 by Olly.

robtheh (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 19:20
Quote:
Olly
If you want to attract youngsters you got to make it a place they want to be. It needs to be up front and in their faces. It needs to be marketed on everything from bus stops to social media. The shop needs to sell trendy stuff the teenagers want to wear. Ashton Gate needs to be easier to get to. No good giving a free ticket to a kid if he/she has nobody to take him or go with. Give him two or a family ticket. Kids love heroes well market the team as such.
Now I've said this before So at risk of being shot down again give a discount to deserving people in our community be it veterans nurses etc you got to make people feel part of this club and this club part of the community. You have to make Bristol rugby an important part of people's lives. Have a singles night there's so many Lonely people in this word are we not a friendly club? Swingers well perhaps a step too far.
It's The whole Friendly, no police no dogs or horses just a welcoming,trouble free sport with friendly caring fans that needs to be promoted.
Oh and before we get the why should I pay full price brigade stamping their feet I also pay for my season ticket and I want to see Ashton gate full and Bristol a successful club.
As most tickets are bought online by setting up an account offer everyone a buy so many get one free it encourages them and gives them either a ticket for them or a friend?

Fair play sir!

Wasn't done at the right time, but that cartoon-style billboard advertising we did a few years back...? Something akin?
I also think we need to, from the marketing point of view, try and (at the risk of sounding trite) unify the city behind us: we represent the City of Bristol, as one.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 20:13
Every adult ticket has an under 11 element attached for free in any game next season. The capacity is there and money will be spent.

Next season is a building season on the pitch, off it and in the stands.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 21:18
make it dirt cheap for anyone under 21 to attend. i bought my first ST in 2005 (I think), when it was £20 for a student ST (and it was only £2 or £3 per game anyway). Needless to say I am no longer a stude and have held a ST pretty much ever since

bs11 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 21:40
Quote:
Olly

Let's not be to hasty in ruling out a swingers night.In all seriousness though some good points.

happyH (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 08:20
Still needs to be somewhere people can go and sit and chat. Make the top of the sports bar available to Joe public!!

C'MON BRISSSSSSSS

Rich. (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 09:03
I wrote to the club in September to let them know that my nephew (who had just started at Bristol Uni and had joined their rugby team) had no awareness of Bristol Rugby being in the Prem ticket costs etc,(no posts, nothing at fresher's etc,) etc and he and some mates were planning on going to watch Bath before I reminded him we had gone up and how far better priced the tickets were etc etc. So he and his mates went to the Leicester game, enjoyed it a lot and have been back.

His Bristol Uni team HAD had Rhys Priestland over from Bath to run a kicking training session however ......

Got no reply from club and unfortunately I suspect a similar lack of marketing this year. Loads of Uni students remain in our area and so crucial we get them hooked asap.

Lots that can be done and lots that is so simple.

All that said, prior to Newcastle match our average was almost 14k and considering how bad we often were (even causing some regular fans to stop going!) Just think how packed the Gate will regularly be when we eventually are in the Prem playing great, winning rugby - hopefully that will be from September 2018. BUT however good the side will be then and however good and successful the rugby is, the Club still need to market and engage and encourage and entice. Under MP we learned (should have!) that simply having a good team with star players does not mean you don't need to try to get people in. I remember being one of around only 5k at the Mem to watch us play in the Heineken Cup with Pich, Felipe etc!!!

Olly (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 09:07
We all know There's nothing better than success on the field at boosting crowds Come on peeps hasn't anyone else got any ideas that might help boost our crowds? It's in all our interests to promote everything Bristol.
Would free bus travel to ticket holders help? Its been used at football in Germany and works l believe.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 09:22 by Olly.

Bris nut (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 10:16
Rich
Totally agree with you
Over the years B?"? Have been so much ahead of us in marketing the club
They even have a huge billboard on the entrance to BRISTOL airport

Rich. (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 11:28
Quote:
Olly
We all know There's nothing better than success on the field at boosting crowds Come on peeps hasn't anyone else got any ideas that might help boost our crowds? It's in all our interests to promote everything Bristol.
Would free bus travel to ticket holders help? Its been used at football in Germany and works l believe.

I've suggested the Club being at Freshers and getting posters up at the Unis. It's interesting to discuss here but the fact the cubs marketing team does nothing when I contact them directly with what I think is a good and very logical point, doesn't encourage me to spend too long thinking of things on here- sorry sad smiley

Portisteve (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 11:33
Yep, def get freshers / uni involved on a level - greatly reduced season ticket etc
players to visit local schools etc, but not just Bristol - North somerset too - massive catchment area - Portishead where I am has great bus link to Ashton gate - 40mins and lots of young families there

Rich. (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 11:48
I THINK they do work with local non-Bris clubs to be fair. I know a couple of the players were coaching at Naiksea & Backwell (in North Somerset) at least a couple big seasons ago

BigO (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 13:05
As others have said, there's no doubt that progress on the pitch will drive higher crowds and 'fan engagement'. That has to be the holy grail.

Having said that, a high priority for the club has to be better interaction with the combination clubs. Especially the kids sections, where there's a captive audience of 8,000+ young Bristolian players (plus parents and siblings....).

I've coached a junior team at a North Somerset combo club for 6 years, and I've only ever seen the club pitch up once. To counter that, we've had players from B&*$ over to help coach, we regularly get free tickets to Exeter games etc.

A better, more structured and long term plan for combination clubs doesn't have to cost a fortune.... it should be bread & butter stuff for us, given the strength of some of the other community programmes the club runs.

Jim H (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 19:40
Quote:
Portisteve
Yep, def get freshers / uni involved on a level - greatly reduced season ticket etc

The Bristrust used to do this for the club in the Richard Hill period. Not sure why it was stopped though....

AGS (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 14:40
Attracting young fans was something Steve Lansdown referred to in his interview, saying more needed to be done, and there are lots of good ideas on here worth trying. One thing to watch out for when handing out free tickets to combination clubs is that certain people get given them time after time, and they don't necessarily go to the people they should. I like the idea of tickets or discounts for those kids with combination club membership though which might get around this. The club could also do more with their academy players visiting and running sessions at local schools.

Bris nut (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 17:39
Couldn't agree more about getting involved in schools in the greater Bristol area
There are 27000 seats to fill next season
Give the kids free tickets costs next to nothing
Encourages mums and dads to attend and the take at the food outlets shop and bars rockets

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net