rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
End of Season Review Summary
Platwell House (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 08:26
Ok end of year review, I shall keep it simple.

Best Player: Will Hurrell
Best Match: Bristol beating B#?h at home
Best Academy Player: Sam Jefferies
Defining Moment: Sacking Robbo / Worcester appointing Gary Gold.
Worst Luck: Ian Evans (shame about the injuries)
Worst Match: Worcester away
Best Individual Performance: Gavin Henson for his performance in the B#?h game
Best Team Performance: beating Worcester with 14 players on Boxing Day.

Re: End of Season Review Summary
thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 09:33
False dawn moment: Woodward arring.

Bris nut (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 10:12
I thought worst match was Sale at home
I really did wonder if I should bother any more after that
Looking forward to next season now though

Portisteve (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 11:30
season for me goes:
start -cautious optimism, then terrible
oct nov
dec - optimism - amazing victory over Worcester
jan - optimism - survival might be on
feb, march, april - disappointment, great win v bath,
May - relegation - gutted, optimism - putting things in place for the future and recruitment lessons seemingly learnt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 15:17 by Portisteve.

BoA_Bris (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 11:38
Quins at home was pretty woeful too.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 11:52
Wasps away be far the worst performance, and to me the real indication that we were going down without major changes. The Quins(H)/Wuss(A)/Glaws(H) were close as the most disappointing.

Think Woody was best player with Gav probably the most influential and Gaston the most consistence. Jefferies the best youngster and Mitch probably the most improved over the season, with JFR putting in a late bid.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 12:11
I would have the Boxing Day Worcester game as my highlight, over even the Bath game.

12 May, 2017 12:45
100% agreed about Mitch being the most improved, I just hope for his sake he gets game time at Northampton.

BigO (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 13:08
Jeffries has been great, but my vote would go to Searle for young player of the year. Given where he's come from the lad has really stepped up to the plate. Bit more bulk and he could go far.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 13:32
cortes player of the year for me. He is comfortable scrummaging at the highest level.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 15:47
I only want to remember the B**h game, the moment the team came out at Twickenham was pretty enjoyable too, but other than the B**h game I am mostly focused on 2018/19 now!

Furriner (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 15:51
[quote Graham_U]Wasps away be far the worst performance, and to me the real indication that we were going down without major changes. The Quins(H)/Wuss(A)/Glaws(H) were close as the most disappointing.

Strange how there can be different opinions on the same game. Wasps away made me very angry because we should've had a hatful of tries had we not butchered so many chances; for example Tongahuia heading the ball when he was on their try line; Pisi(?) passing to Wade when in a similar position. We'd have lost for sure but could have gleaned one if not two points from that game.

Foolish me came away from the Ricoh thinking we were going to improve.

12 May, 2017 17:29
Quote:
BigO
Jeffries has been great, but my vote would go to Searle for young player of the year. Given where he's come from the lad has really stepped up to the plate. Bit more bulk and he could go far.

Searle has been amazing this year, definitely stepped up to the plate and with more game time in a more forgiving environment to learn his trade he will go very far!

EC Boy (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 19:27
Can I say how much I admire you lot in staying positive and optimistic, in contrast to the despair (yes, really) I feel about this clusterxxxx of a season and the one to come?

Best time...beating Wuss at the Gate. No contest. We had hope.

Worst...Wuss beating us at theirs, which confirmed my fears about our complacency when we didn't sign Gold on a massively remunerative STC.

Things haven't changed up top. An uninformed owner letting his mates take the decisions. I think it will be the same old, same old. Next season, I shall schlok up to AG as ever, but I've no confidence that things will change.

Please keep being positive, gents. "I WANT TO BELIEVE."

Olly (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 22:26
Quote:
EC Boy
Can I say how much I admire you lot in staying positive and optimistic, in contrast to the despair (yes, really) I feel about this clusterxxxx of a season and the one to come?
Best time...beating Wuss at the Gate. No contest. We had hope.

Worst...Wuss beating us at theirs, which confirmed my fears about our complacency when we didn't sign Gold on a massively remunerative STC.

Things haven't changed up top. An uninformed owner letting his mates take the decisions. I think it will be the same old, same old. Next season, I shall schlok up to AG as ever, but I've no confidence that things will change.

Please keep being positive, gents. "I WANT TO BELIEVE."

Well EC boy look at it this way Steve Lansdown admitted thes seasons failures will cost him a lot of money. He's a money man, a very successful man you can rest assured he didn't get to where he is today by letting other people walk all over him and waste millions of pounds of his money. He's admitted mistakes have been made I believe he will put it right. He won't want his money wasted again.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

T J (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 21:44
Quote:
EC Boy

Officially, no, but behind the scenes, yes.

I think SL unfortunately put too much trust in Chris Booy, and was hoping (and had probably been told) that his involvement in the club would be purely financial. Putting myself in SL's shoes, I think SL has been taken for a fool by CB, who was probably (until it was too late) trying to convince SL and himself that it'll all be ok. Let's not forget that SL is not a rugby man, so was probably hoodwinked by Booy into believing they were the perfect match.

I would imagine it was probably around Xmas time that the alarm bells will have been sounding for SL, hence the sacking of AR. Unfortunately by this time it was too little too late, and the players that SL had funded, having been assured by CB / AR that they were of the requisite standard, were in fact for the most part utterly useless, leaving a squad well short of the necessary standard.

SL starts digging and starts to realise that the problem runs deeper than he thought, and indeed the main cause of the problem is CB who has been playing SL for a mug. (Hence the comment last week about sticking his oar in earlier)

Couple with having been taken for a ride by CB, our esteemed chairman continues to act like a bull in a china shop, telling anyone who will listen how fantastic we are, how fantastic he is, how it is all,AR's fault but that the Championship season will be over by Xmas. This is not how SL acts, and is the polar opposite of the man himself; quiet, unassuming, respectful, basically the total opposite of Chris Booy.

While on the surface things may not have changed as far as the hierarchy goes, I can assure you that SL has marked CB's card. Don't be surprised if we hear less from him in the press from now on, and don't be surprised if SL has him on a very tight leash.

BigO (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:01
Quote:
T J
While on the surface things may not have changed as far as the hierarchy goes, I can assure you that SL has marked CB's card. Don't be surprised if we hear less from him in the press from now on, and don't be surprised if SL has him on a very tight leash.

I really hope you're right TJ. The untouchable & unaccountable Mr Booy seems to have taken a much lower profile over the past month or so.

You'd have thought he would have come out and said a few words to put the season into some perspective, but other than a few words in the Newcastle programme, there's been nothing. If that is due to SL calling the shots, then great.

Let's hope the SL and Tainton press conference marks the start of an new era for the leadership of the club. Although I still have a nagging doubt that we need more experience and nous on board to help steer the ship.

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:49
Wuss at home Saints away were the only weeks when I felt we deserved to stay up. I know we lost to Saints, but we played fantastic attacking rugby and lost because of unfortunate individual errors (and the same old problems in the pack). That was the week where I thought that our team belonged in the league.

Bristol Cornish (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:49
Does Mark Tainton's review of the year on the offy, rather than CB, suggest there has been a change at the club?

[www.bristolrugby.co.uk]

Peter D (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 11:46
Quote:
Bristol Cornish
Does Mark Tainton's review of the year on the offy, rather than CB, suggest there has been a change at the club?
[www.bristolrugby.co.uk]

I don't think it signifies anything. And it's looking forward to next season and not a review of this.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net