Current Page: 1 of 2
London Irish
Platwell House (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 18:20
I will be hoping they get a result.

Re: London Irish
inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 20:08
Barely a whimper about it in the press, very little interest. Take a bow, RFU, with your dull Championship product.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 07:37
Quote:
Platwell House
I will be hoping they get a result.

Me too.

Firstly, with next season in mind, Yorkshire look significantly less threatening than Irish.

And secondly, Yorkshire got just 2,200 for the home leg of their semi final against Ealing. They don't deserve Premiership rugby.

BigO (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 08:23
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
[And secondly, Yorkshire got just 2,200 for the home leg of their semi final against Ealing. They don't deserve Premiership rugby.

Agree. They seem to be a shadow of the club they were 5 or 6 years ago, in all regards. If you go onto their message board, there's a frightening level of apathy, and a consensus that the club has a very challenging future ahead of it. That might just be a Yorkshire thing though... but sad, none-the-less.

Peter D (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 09:23
If Yorkshire Carnegie win the play off (unjust system though it is) they deserve Premiership Rugby. It's based on winning the Championship - not on the size of the crowd.

I do hope, though, that London Irish are promoted because they have already demonstrated beyond argument that they are the best team in the Championship this season.

17 May, 2017 10:16
Quote:
Peter D
If Yorkshire Carnegie win the play off (unjust system though it is) they deserve Premiership Rugby. It's based on winning the Championship - not on the size of the crowd.

...and this is exactly why the Championship in its current form (play-offs or not) simply isn't fit for purpose. The RFU continue to cling to the romantic notion that a club should be able to squeeze through on playing merit.

Noble though that is, in the real world a club without a strong enough infrastructure, financial backing and "bums on seats" will simply get slaughtered in the Prem and then be rendered rudderless once they come back down (a la London Welsh)

Ring-fence, by removing the TWO Championship clubs who can even compete in the Prem, and you then get a competitive Championship, with some sort of election system to allow for the very rare likelihood of "an Exeter" emerging from the crop.

Peter D (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 11:17
There's a logic to that. However, unless admission to the Premiership is based entirely on merit nobody will ever get promoted. Admission to the Football League has only relatively recently been on the basis of merit. Previously it was well nigh impossible for a club which finished top of the non-league structure to be promoted regardless of how much superior they were than the club at the bottom of the FL. Newport County were perpetually the worst league club for a number of years with plenty of better candidates who could have replaced them but election worked in favour of the resident club rather than the one applying for promotion.

Ring fencing 14 clubs may be better than that option. But a fair way of considering, on a regular basis, who those 14 clubs should be is needed.

17 May, 2017 12:02
@PeterD yes I agree the election system wasn't fit for purpose for football.

Advocates of rugby promotion/relegation solely on merit often use the football comparison; but there is much more strength in depth to professional football as opposed to professional rugby, so for me it's not a valid comparison.

Football-wise, moving from Conference National to League 2 there is very little difference in support and infrastructure. In fact, several clubs recently have gone up and been promoted again rather than struggle.

Peter D (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 12:28
Agreed. That's why I am less opposed to ring-fencing than I used to be. However, if you are to allow promotion t must surely be based on merit, even if you do also have some sort of viability rules.

Rich. (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 12:48
Sale have very low attendances (I suspect Yorks would get as many) yet they survive ok

17 May, 2017 13:06
Sale have a quite wealthy backer though.

Rich. (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 13:46
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
Sale have a quite wealthy backer though.

I know but I was commenting on your comment that 'in the real world a club without a strong enough infrastructure, financial backing and "bums on seats" will simply get slaughtered in the Prem' - Sale are an example where you don't necessarily need the bums on seats bit. Sarries when in Watford a perhaps more significant example.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 16:27
They are also in the premiership. It brings you a lot more than being in the championship.

If they fell into the championship and for whatever reason didn't go straight back up then they might be in a pickle.

As we were.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 18:50
Quote:
Peter D
If Yorkshire Carnegie win the play off (unjust system though it is) they deserve Premiership Rugby.
To be brutally honest they wouldn't deserve premiership rugby, just as any club who hasn't finished top of the league has not. LI deserve it on merit, but that said I hope Leedshire give them a good game as I'm about to start watching.

I don't see how anyone can continue to argue the pray offs are a fair and reflective way to determine who gains entry to the promised land. They were always ludicrous and I'm glad they're going.

Rich. (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 19:22
Fantastic second try by Yorkshire! Good crowd there as well

Morley Knibbs (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 20:38
isn't the reason why there seem to be fewer premiership ready clubs in the championship is in large part because of the limited and arbitrary promotion and relegation system? Ie if you improved that -two up two down to a 14 team prem - the championship standard would improve. For the last 7 years or so you would have to be a lunatic or a very generous billionaire to invest significantly in a championship club.

Rich. (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 20:56
Yes the play off lottery would not have encouraged investment. I only watched a tiny bit and then switched over at end of match and they were discussing what sounded like a red card for an Irish player that was never given but did have been. Anyone see?

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:15
Wanted Irish to win really but damn I'd be livid if I were a Leeds fan. Our "friend" Doyle gave an outrageous performance, two easy yellows against Irish just weren't given (high tackle and rediculous professional foul/block in try scoring situation) and continuously berated Leeds and said nothing to LI. Things like Irish tip tackling and dripping players were ignored. First time he said anything to them was almost 54 minutes into the match! Completely one-eyed. Would have undoubtedly had an effect on the match but doesn't mean Leeds would have won of course, their replacements didn't seem up to it.

Should be interesting next week, different ref too?

* just as I typed this Redpath said he thought it was harsh on them not having any cards given for both the aforementioned incidents. That is putting it politely IMHO.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:19
Update two; Sky commentators saying same thing as the first part of their match analysis.

As said, Leeds will be feeling really badly done to and I agree they should.

Heaf (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:40
Shouldn't even be playing this game anyway - finished 17 points clear and already beaten all play-off rivals home & away this season - playoffs are just plain nonsense - good riddance to them ...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net