rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

What's the odds
Spiderweb (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 07:22
With the odds so short on Bristol to win promotion. How about some bald statements of intent from Mr Lam for the coming season. How about -" We intend to win every home league game with a bonus point" . Or even be more adventurous. Bristol need to make some headlines next season. The fans and the press will need stimulating in what is surely going to be nothing more than a walk in the park.

Re: What's the odds
Platwell House (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 07:52
I think next season shows the mismanagement of the championship as a whole. A league with 1.5 teams fully funded when in reality the league needs more.

It is a crying shame that the regular season matches are not shown on television to give it some sort of publicity. Its almost like the RFU are engineering a situation. Its bad for the fans and it is bad for the game.

Furriner (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 08:11
Getting Sky to broadcast more matches would help raise awareness/interest. With no play offs how many will they show live? I'd sign up for Sky Sports again were they to get their finger out.

If they don't intend to, the franchise should be taken away from them. Surely one of the terrestrial channels would be interested?

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 08:33
Quote:
Spiderweb
With the odds so short on Bristol to win promotion. How about some bald statements of intent from Mr Lam for the coming season. How about -" We intend to win every home league game with a bonus point" . Or even be more adventurous. Bristol need to make some headlines next season. The fans and the press will need stimulating in what is surely going to be nothing more than a walk in the park.

I think the reason that Pat Lam is the coach he is, is precisely because he doesn't indulge in silly public proclamations like that.

I have no doubt that that, privately, his aspiration is to win comprehensively and ruthlessly. However, more important to him seems a club culture built on humility and hard work. If i had to guess, he is more likely to hang his hat on number of rucks hit, number of tackles tackles made, etc.

Besides, if we want cringe-worthy media snippets, Chris Booy is the best in the business.

bris4life (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 09:46
I am just hoping that the style of rugby we play and the results that we achieve will do all the talking for us next season................

T J (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 10:03
Steve Lansdown is not Chris Booy.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 11:20
...simple, because no neutrals want to watch one team (however "star-studded") running 40 or 50 points past another. It's boring. The only reason WE are interested is because it's Bris.

Did anyone harbour a burning desire to watch LI matches on Sky this season? No, thought not. Even the play-offs were boring, as evidenced by the one man and his dog watching at Yorkshire and Ealing.

Rich. (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 14:57
IMO neither rugby nor the Championship benefits from Sky showing 1k people watching a Champ game with the worst droning commentary alive (can't remember name - Andy someone is it?) and the worst pundit around (Dewi Morris - who you could be forgiven thinking had never played the game as all he states is the bleedin' obvious that he states each time). A highlights programme perhaps

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 17:07
I say Bring back Rugby Special - used to give some light to other leagues as well as to our Celtic brethren.....
Also, Sky's 'The Rugby Club' used to offer a snippet pre adverts of the Chump so perhaps BT's Rugby Tonight could take more of an interest?

tbr (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 17:38
Quote:
Motherrucker1982
I say Bring back Rugby Special - used to give some light to other leagues as well as to our Celtic brethren.....
Also, Sky's 'The Rugby Club' used to offer a snippet pre adverts of the Chump so perhaps BT's Rugby Tonight could take more of an interest?

Ahhh.... rugby special! What memories!
[youtu.be]

Furriner (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 18:27
Hide it away because it's@#$%&isn't really much of a strategy. There was a time when women's sport was considered unwatchable by some, but (in the case of rugby, soccer and cricket at least) their leaders plugged away. Result? They not only raised standards, they also beat the apathy and now draw decent crowds.

Rich. (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 20:16
Ah yes Jonny Hammond is the commentator I was talking about. Says absolutely everything with a crescendo as if something crucial is happening, even though it normally isn't. I've just turned the sound down and it's better now.

I don't see it the same as women's football etc Furriner. The key difference is there is are far better non-international 'products' available on TV called the Premiership and European Champions Cup, Super Rugby, Pro 12 and even the Top 14 (a few Top 14 games anyway) - I'd prefer young people and any people with a slight or zero interest in rugby to catch one of those games (and the chance of being inspired) rather than a Championship match with Hammond and Morris.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 10:50
I'd settle for Pat Lam stating that he will set Prem level performance standards and will be honest in the after match assessment, not the excuses of the past. We failed to both of these in our last 7 years in the Champ. If we do that the results should take care of themselves.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 20:43
The problem Graham, as I see it, is how do you play Prem std rugby in the Championship.

There isn't a team that doesn't give of it's best, particularly when facing the relegated club but it just doesn't have the same intensity.

Last year if we hadn't won by half time we (generally) turned it on at the end - remember Mose at home - I try not to because it's so depressing, but we rarely had 80 mins of good rugby.

My fear is that we'll go up with a team of good, young, aspirants but meet the same problems as we have this season.

I think I've caught your pessimism.

Olly (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 08:00
It's not hard to be pessimistic but the way I see it Pat Lam hasn't exactly got a huge act to follow. There's been big chsnges in the squad coupled with new coaches. The players have to get to know the coach and the coaches the players the players have to get to know other players. They all have to learn the new Tactics, game play, calls as well as abilities and skills of everyone else around them. All this and it all has to be well underway long before the first game of the season when we will be at our weakest. Should be a walk in the park Eh??
We've had more than our share of disappoint this time we have a completely different approach and different staff. We will succeed of that I have no doubt.

If my glass is ever half empty please feel free to top it up.

Furriner (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 08:27
You're right, Olly, but bear in mind most other squads in the Champ will be in the same position. Because I bought tickets online from Bedford, Scottish etc when we were there last time, I get emails from those clubs and can see they're having their share of churn as well, losing good players to Prem clubs and signing allsorts.

Actually not the same position, because I've not seen current internationals going there.

Peter D (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 10:41
One significant difference this time round is that we no longer have a squad of players who have never played at Premiership level. Even those who eventually stepped up took a long time to get to the level of intensity required and some never managed it (mostly those who have moved on). This time all of the players we have retained know what the Premiership requires. Many of the players we have signed have played Premiership rugby or equivalent immediately before signing for us. The young players we have signed will be in an environment very different to the one that we had during our last season in the Championship but when we return to the Prem will be in a better quality squad and not required to do what Billy Searle, for instance, was required to do this season.
The intensity required this season will come not from the opposition (although I expect every team to challenge us) but from peer pressure, coaching pressure and expectation throughout the club. Nobody should be satisfied with a less than convincing win in every game - and that's not about arrogance but about setting high standards and expectations throughout the club.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 16:11
"Never" Peter? Most of the players in our squad this year had some link with Pro-12/Prem/Super, most ere signed from that level before they joined us, many internationals as well. Some of those without this level of were amongst our better performers. I think we had spent too long with the environment accepting non-prem standards on and off the pitch.

HS: its not pessimism its realism. Pat Lam must insist on 80 min performances, set discipline , defensive, reload, chase-back and fitness standards then ensure they are kept from start to finish of each game and to the end of the season. Something we hardly ever did last season in the Champ. Unfortunately he not managed that with Connacht this season after the wonders of last year, so lets hope that is just the distraction.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net