rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Thanks Farewell and Good luck
airdog (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 10:54
To Steve Cotton who in his final contribution in the paper looks back on covering our club and local rugby in general for the last 15 years . He gives no reason why he is leaving or what we can expect from the Post in future , the first I suppose is none of our business the second to people like me certainly is .
I ,like many of my generation grew up reading the Evening Post and indeed like many lads before and after my first paid employment was delivering the paper , in my case for fag ash Lil who many of the older residents of Horfield / Bishopston will recall had a pitch outside the Royal Oak on Gloucester Road for decades .
The Post as a newspaper has declined in recent years , in particular I resent paying 30p extra on a Friday for a magazine I and I suspect few others have any interest in so if coverage of our sport is to be dumbed down I suspect they will lose another customer .

Re: Thanks Farewell and Good luck
Whagwan (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 11:08
Likewise, since the downfall of the post Steve's reporting was one of the few bits of decent journalism left.

I doubt it will be improving now, if the main news is anything to go by they'll just reprint forum and facebook group posts and masquerade it as news...

Jay Jay (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:18
Will miss your rugby reports, best by a long way. Doubt I'll be buying the Post so much now. Good luck for the future.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:51
Article

Really good article. Good luck Steve, hopefully we'll see your name pop up again in the not too distant future.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2017 13:07 by SparkyBris.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 12:51
Good luck Steve and thanks for the fair reporting which has been a great read over the years

BigO (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 14:13
Very, very sad to see you go Steve. I'll miss the insights. The Post's loss is somebody else's gain. SL could do a lot worse than pulling you into Bristol Sport to strengthen up the comms side of things, Here's hoping you stay connected in some way to Bristol Rugby.

Olly (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 14:36
+ 1 to all of the above and thanks for the effort and so so many enjoyable reads not all about enjoyable happy times but always factual and informative. In my case it's simple the rugby coverage was the one and only reason I bought the post of late so double whammy to them I guess. 1 less reporter, one less customer.
All the very best. fair winds and calm seas.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 15:42
Above posts say it all, thank you and good luck.

If the club don't pick you up I hope you move to independent digital media/pod casts or similar.

shhandy (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 10:14
I would love to see Steve pulled into Bristol sports or even a dual role with them and Somerset Cricket. His rugby reporting has always been first class, in the past when the post covered cricket, he was equally as good in this area. Hope to be reading you again soon Steve, and not just on twitter.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 12:34
He'd be doing PR then and not reporting... the loss of the reporting and comment is what we are really going to miss.

As it stands I suspect we will have to work very hard to fund ANY coverage of Bristol next year, and Bristol Rugby will have to work even harder to secure it.

gran (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 21:57
Good point as usual Big Dave. I recall waiting for the Green 'Un and the Pink 'Un arriving around 10 minutes past six at the local newsagents. Sport and nothing else.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 23:07
Sadly, Steve is yet another victim of print journalism's obsession with a) football, and b) giving their content away free online. In what other industry would you hand your product away for nothing?!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net