Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
London Irish
Big Dave (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 12:43

Re: London Irish
Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 13:00
Perhaps they should have declined to accept promotion and stayed down there?

RJC (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 13:44
I don't think that would have helped them Cidered Abroad.

If they maintained a Premiership squad, on Premiership wages with the Parachute payment, then that would have meant even bigger losses if they had stayed in the Championship and their funding dropped to circa 500,000

That may had led to pay cuts across the playing and back room staff as well as contract terminations similar to what happened to us 7 years ago.

I'm glad they have been promoted, and I hope that they can find a balance somehow.

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 13:53
No reaction to the Chairman's comments on challenging Sarries for honours?

Ernie Ball (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 14:00
Irish are prime candidates for the drop next season. If this did happen, what then?

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 15:53
I fear they go the way of London Welsh, however I don't think that will happen because they will find funding in the meantime. They have a unique appeal and I wouldn't be surprised if they find backing from across the Atlantic. The Yanks love all things Irish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2017 15:56 by Standardprocedure.

RJC (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:18
The owner doesn't sell it well tbh.

"Come and be a part of London Irish, come share the debt so I don't end up divorced before the club bleeds me dry....."

Excluding this season, they are probably at the lower end of the "debt" scale within the top 14 clubs, however they need to build their support again, and being a potential yo-yo club (as some have suggested) will not do that for them.

No point in commenting on the challenging Sarries for honours because we've been guilty as a club of making bold statements and falling short.

chuckynut (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:22
They look to have a better squad than we did at the same time last year so hopefully they will be more competitive than we were. However, they must be odds on to go down. Given this, it is going to be hard for them to attract investment short term so he's going to dipping his hand in his pocket heavily next season I suspect.

RJC (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:27
Of course they look to have a better squad, most of them have recent Premiership experience...

Wuss, Newcastle and Sale are all recruiting well so LI face a big task in survival.

And who ever is promoted next season will face the exact same uphill battle.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:45
2nd tier rugby needs to properly funded sooner rather than later. The RFU makes more money than all the other unions combined and for the future of the game they need to look at this now because soon enough the Premiership will become a default closed shop on the account no one can afford to get promoted.

Bris Bob (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:54
Yes might be a bit premature in deciding who are next seasons failures,and as RJC has hinted at in the last line of His/hers post ,Lam might not yet be Lazurus in terms of the Premeirship for us if and when

Graham_U (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 11:26
Sounds a lot like the same as we heard from Booys and MP at Bris in the past at the end of their periods of ownership, or even Holmes. Sugar daddies have to be supper rich to afford to fund clubs for some length of time, even richer now that the PRL have let the Salary cap go out of sight by comparisons with those days. I'd still rather see the RFU keep their money in the grass routes than trying to keep afloat an unsustainable second pro tier. The PRL has to take ownership of all pro rugby if there is any chance of closing the gap. But this also indicates the need for pro clubs to have the ability to generate significant funds and develop revenue streams, you can not run a club on RFU handouts.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 20:52
You might want to take a look at our signings just announced with more to come, relegation foder I think not.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 20:55
I hope you won't be for your sake, but we thought the same at the start of the season and come the end we were miles behind our nearest rivals in terms of ability. That gulf is, IMHO, only ever likely to grow.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 20:56
Quote:
Exile_Dave
You might want to take a look at our signings just announced with more to come, relegation foder I think not.

We'll see. Which team would you say your squad is currently better than?

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 21:57
Quote:
JamboBris
Quote:
Exile_Dave

We'll see. Which team would you say your squad is currently better than?

We're not in my opinion. We understandably go into the new season as relegation favourites and anything higher than 12th will be seen as an extremely successful season. Gonna be a long tough season, go well in the championship guys, I'm sure you'll be celebrating come February!

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 22:02
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Jambo, some decent squad signings by Irish but they don't better any other Prem squads in my eyes. They will need to wring every last drop of potential out of each individual plus keep them injury free which we and most squads struggled with last season.

They will need possibly 7 wins to keep them up so will mean beating Wuss & Sale twice and pick up wins against Falcons, Glos and someone else. Tall order. A few on their site I feel have lost the reality of the gulf in class between divisions. I kind of hope they get a dose of reality early on but hope they and Wuss stay up with a new member of the relegation club emerging like Sale or Glos (that would be a shocker for the cosy club in the Prem).

Rich. (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 22:05
Best of luck to them but those 3 signings today don't make me think they have much more chance at this stage. But very hard to tell till they start playing in September

JamboBris (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 07:22
Looking at the recruitment of the other teams I think newcastle look very strong. Sale have added a few very good players as well as potentially O'Connor to come in as well. Worcester look most likely to be fighting it out with Irish. I hope Irish do well as it would give me more optimism for when we're promoted next but think it will be very hard for them.

robtheh (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 07:32
Reckon it's going to be a battle between Irish & Sale next season. Sale have given long contracts to their academy players who've broken through recently...but those same players only got them to 10th this season, and in my view they've not recruited all that well. All power to them if they can push on but I think they've got one hell of a hard task ahead of them.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net