rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: London Irish
Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 09:29
Wouldn't be surprised to see Glaws down in the mix this year, with Falcons taking their place as mid-table makers-up-of-the-numbers

Portisteve (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 10:26
I agreed Glaws will be down in there I think, it depends on how well Ackermann starts with them.
Worcester look stronger than this season especially with how they finished.
I'm worried already at how far behind we may be in 2018-19 season if/when we go up. The gulf is just widening all the time and Irish will have their work cut out to avoid relegation (which unfortunately I think that they are easily favourites for)

robtheh (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 10:46
Irish just announced Napolioni Nalaga from Clermont...

Rich. (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 12:07
Quote:
robtheh
Irish just announced Napolioni Nalaga from Clermont...

Yeah just seen that! If he stays fit he could make a big difference! I wonder if he was going to join us if we stayed up

Big Dave (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 19:00
Worcester and Newcastle clearly progressed. I always thought our best chance of staying up was in 2015 with Irish to aim at. Unless one of them falls back or unless Sale or Glaws fall back significantly you'd have to say Irish for the drop next year - and I would imagine 4-5 absolute top quality new players required for us at least in 2018.

To help with that we need to get it all sewn up ASAP. How early would be realistic?

AGS (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 19:03
A key thing will be the fixture list. Certain teams will have some very tired and injured bodies after a tough premiership season, followed by Lions and other international commitments. If Irish get a lucky draw, they could build some early momentum and put pressure on some others, but they are clear favourites for relegation. Maybe Glaws or Quin's could get drawn into the battle for a change though

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 12:01
Quote:
JamboBris
Quote:
Exile_Dave
You might want to take a look at our signings just announced with more to come, relegation foder I think not.

We'll see. Which team would you say your squad is currently better than?

Doesn't seem to have an answer to that

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 12:43
Quote:
KingoftheHill
Quote:
JamboBris
Quote:
Exile_Dave
You might want to take a look at our signings just announced with more to come, relegation foder I think not.

We'll see. Which team would you say your squad is currently better than?

Doesn't seem to have an answer to that

London Irish fan in peace.

Squad wise, if we're just talking about names on a piece of paper I'd say we are in a group with Worcester, Falcons, Sale and Gloucester.

Last season Falcons showed that you can however be more than the sum of your parts, while Gloucester showed the opposite.

My opinion of next season is that Saracens, Wasps, Chiefs, Bath and Tigers will continue to be the top five, and the other 7 teams will scrap it out for places 6 to 12. Going solely on squads you'd have probably Saints and Quins top of that group, but both will have issues going into next season. Both will have a lot of players coming off of pretty much 12 months straight rugby after international tours, and if they don't start well they could get dragged into the relegation scrap early on. On top of that neither teams game plan has evolved in the past 5 years, and Quins also have the issue that there is a very large drop off in quality from their first choice players to their back ups.

From our point of view, we need the fixture list to be kind. When we got relegated we faced Tigers, Bath, Saracens, Exeter and Wasps in our opening 5 fixtures and were always playing catch up from that point, which as you found yourself this year is really tough to do.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 16:57
If I were a betting person then I think I would be tempted to put money on Sale for the drop. Worcester look like they were playing some really good mid table rugby at the end of the season and London Irish look to have made some good additions. Plus they sauntered back in a way that we failed to do so.

Newcastle are going through a great patch but maybe Glos will drop a bit.

My thinking goes on it being a close shoot out between Sale and LI with glos just above the mix and LI scrapping through.

If Sale went down - and we went up, then the RFU would get seriously concerned as their desire to make the game a national game at the top level would be dealt a blow. The league would look a south west and south east roadshow with Newcastle the only northern participant.

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 20:30
Your logic makes sense TBE but surely to protect the national feel of top flight pro rugby wouldn't the RFU be pushing PRL to expand to 14 teams giving Sale, Falcons and Leeds breathing space for a few years? Correct me if I'm wrong but they have been pretty silent on the topic haven't they?

Rich. (IP Logged)
05 June, 2017 13:47
Sale? Can't see them going down. A good few young players who are getting better. Unfortunately I can only see Irish going down. 3 more signings today and they seem more of the same (i.e. mainly players they'd not have tried to get had they effectively been assured of promotion in January if there​ had been no play offs). So Filo Paulo for example looks good on paper but he struggled to achieve for Cardiff and had to move to Italy.

The reality is that all the other Prem teams are of good level international quality (at least) so to compete Irish will need that just up Exeter attitude at least

dpw (IP Logged)
05 June, 2017 23:20
LI sign 3 more............

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 11:47
The advantage Lirish have over us is that they have much more recent direct experience of the Premiership and consequently have a much better idea of the ability of their squad in that environment. Now I don't recall Andy Robinson saying that our squad was completely Premiership ready, I do remember him saying something along the lines that the squad had got us out of the Championship, deserved a chance in the Premiership and that some would step up and that some would not. Which was always the problem: we had players like Mosses who I always thought would struggle in the top tier because I thought he had struggled against better sides in the Championship but I had no real way of knowing and neither did the coaches (or him). On the other hand there was Eadie who I thought would make the step up, clearly has, but neither I nor the coaches actually knew he would.

I think it was a very difficult transition into the Premiership after so long out. It's different if it is just one season where a side gets the chance to ditch those who didn't perform in the Premiership and bring in players they either know to be better or have a really good idea exactly what standard they need to recruit to. We weren't in that position and it showed.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 22:57
It all comes down to that Exeter loss....

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:33
And yet everyone now forgets that Exeter had a struggle to get out of their play-off pool and only laud their ability to out-think us. These things turn on small margins.

Peter_B (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 09:42
Exeter are an RFU Academy club and were an academy while they were in the Championship.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

dpw (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 11:07
26th May 2010....!

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Fanski (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 13:07
They had had tiny crowds for a long time and I cannot see that changing

and who would want to buy into a club where the owner has in effect said it is a financial millstone

the worrying thing is that the training and conference part is a separate entity so he could sell the club and keep that part

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net