rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Not enough time to sign top players.
Cotman (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 21:43
Well with London Irish winning promotion back into the aviva premiership they have already signed a decent amount of top players in my view.

Re: Not enough time to sign top players.
Big Dave (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 22:00
i think we were hampered in our recruitment but also after 7 years out we didn't really get how far off the pace we were. It would also seem that we did try and make a lot of signings during the season, none of which came off.

LI have had a look at us and also have very recent experience of the prem.

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 10:58
Quote:
Cotman
Well with London Irish winning promotion back into the aviva premiership they have already signed a decent amount of top players in my view.

We'll see!

Rich. (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 21:37
Not sure they are better signings than we had at all

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 02:50
Quote:
Big Dave
LI have had a look at us and also have very recent experience of the prem.

There was a fairly recent article (can't remember which outlet offhand) regarding LI; what they've been doing, future plans,etc... in which it was revealed they'd been in close contact with us and some other clubs who've had championship experience to gather knowledge and plan accordingly to ensure success.

Hopefully we've done similar and reached out to LI to aid us in this coming season.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 09:14
Frankly, with just a season out we know far too much about the Championship!

Bris nut (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 15:46
All the prem clubs seem to be getting stronger
The gap is definitely widening. Irish will be favourites to go down next year as we will the year after if we get the expected promotion. Doesn't appear to be any weak clubs any more. The likes of Wuss, Sale, Newcastle all improved.
Seems you have to spend more and more just to stand still

Fanski (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 12:09
Li have signed journeymen rather than class acts

Ecksile (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 11:07
Quote:
Fanski
Li have signed journeymen rather than class acts

That would be such as Gordon Reid, the Scottish loosehead?

Big Dave (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 12:27
I don't know if LI are going to come up in a stronger position than we did, but I expect so as they only spent one year in the championship, and that makes a massive difference as we have just seen.

Are they going to be strong enough to finish at least 11th? I think for that to happen one of the current premiership clubs has to go backwards on this season quite significantly. Newcastle and Worcester seem to be on an upward trajectory so I think LI must be favourites for bottom spot, unless one of them has a poor season or the decline (over a number of seasons) of someone like Gloucester or Sale (?) continues and accelerates, but I doubt that it will accelerate that much. It's still LI for the drop for me, but it's not a wholly firm prediction.

Can Bristol come up next year stronger than LI did this year? I still think we need to strengthen and invest in the latter half of 2017/18 and have a squad able to compete with everyone in the bottom four by the start of pre-season 2018. A huge amount depends on PL getting an early promotion and people signing for us early, I think. I think we need 4-6 quality players arriving at this point. Second row, front row, scrum half and back three. Maybe a 10/12 as well depending on what happens to our youngsters and Madigan.

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 12:40
Oh yeah I think if we come up with what we have now we'll be going straight back down and no wotsit. We always need to work on the basis that at least half our top players will be injured for the big games​ - and that's usually the case! Even if we had no injuries though I think we need a fair bit of work done to the squad. Now some of that might come from Pat making those we have even better players but some will need to be new blood (and that's not me using Samoan brother talk)

16 June, 2017 13:55
It's been said before on this forum: time was tight for Bristol to recruit but Andy Robinson also failed to attract good players because of his record as a coach. You should listen to Andy Goode & Jim Hamilton's assessment of Robbo's coaching ability in their podcast this week. they even have a pop at Richard Hill.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Get a better fan forum experience at muut.com/bristolrugbyforum

No ads, legible fonts and reduced levels of pedantry and harking back to the amateur days of BRFC.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 14:54
That'll be the Andy Robinson who failed to attract Ross Rennie who was at the time the finest northern hemisphere player in his position? Or Jason Woodward who is now touted as a potential England fullback? Those sort of good players he failed to attract?

Channel2 (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 15:09
On whole I think Robinsons recruitment record stank.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 15:18
Quote:
Channel2
On whole I think Robinsons recruitment record stank.
Aside from the odd player such as Henson (when fit) and Woodward it was poor. I also thought Robinson Jnr was a good signing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net