rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Stuart Barnes - What Bris Supporters have been saying for years!
Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 09:27
At last the rest of the world has woken up to what an idiot Stuart Barnes is at commentating!

Stuart Barnes Can't Get Anything Right!!!

Re: Stuart Barnes - What Bris Supporters have been saying for years!
Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 10:09

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 12:03
Be careful what you wish for, they might replace him with Dewi 'god I'm awful' Morris [:wor kid:]

Brisman (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 16:22
He's been mocked by Will Carling, Matt Dawson and Danny Care on Twitter in recent days. Shows that people within the game hold him with the same amount of contempt as we do.

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 22:05
I think he's good. But I'd rather they gave us the New Zealand commentary with Grant Nisbett and Justin Marshall as his side kick. Nisbett to me is the best

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 02:32
Quote:
Rich.
I think he's good. But I'd rather they gave us the New Zealand commentary with Grant Nisbett and Justin Marshall as his side kick. Nisbett to me is the best

Rich not sure if that's sarcasm??? Nisbett and Marshall are more 'one eyed' than Nelson.

bs11 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 10:38
Got to say I think he is one of the more knowledgeable pundits òn tv and his articles in print.

Rich. (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 11:14
No Sam not being sarcastic on either point. I don't mind a bit of one-eyedness for a start if it goes along with passion for the game (but actually I don't see either as being one-eyed) - but Nisbett has a great voice, is clearly very knowledgeable and (very importantly) actually commentates on the game as opposed to the Sky commentators who spend most of the time regurgitating clichés and telling us little stories related to the game rather than telling us who has the ball and engendering any excitement. Marshall is also very knowledgeable and gets over his love for the game.

If they are commentating primarily for New Zealand TV on a Super Rugby match between a Kiwi team and an Aussie or South African one then I see no issue with it coming over who they want to win.

Brisman (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 12:00
Would happily see all Rugby on BT Sport now, as they've surpassed Sky in terms of pundits and presentation.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 12:38
Quote:
Brisman
Would happily see all Rugby on BT Sport now, as they've surpassed Sky in terms of pundits and presentation.

100% agreed! BT Sport's coverage is fantastic, the only thing I would change is scrap the mid way through the match they will interview the HC / DOR. I should imagine they find it irritating as do I because there are lots of sound bites so not to give anything away. Other than that plus they don't have Stuart Barnes it is great coverage.

Jay Jay (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 13:30
Agreed Brisman, BT Rugby coverage is far better than Sky with Barnes, Dewi, Hammond etc.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 13:35
If you think that irritating then try S4C when they interrupt the English commentary option with the same Head Coach interview in Welsh! Although the think I find the most irrating is when they talk over the ref when he is giving warnings or discussing with Touch Judge/TMO, then act surprised when something happens.

As for one eyed then any Welsh commentary is pretty much up there, although I quite like Andy Moore, and Shane Williams along with Mossey are about the best expert summariser/pundit there are. I know they are not to everyone's taste but I always enjoy the Butler/Brian Moore partnership for entertainment value.

All this just shows how good and rare the absolute great that was Bill McLaren, knowledge, informative, entertaining, passion, even handed and incredibly lyrical. Don't think there any that are close now days, and most are more generalists and don't seem to have the real feel or understanding for rugby and just spot the cliches mentioned above.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Rich. (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 14:39
To complain about a welsh interview on S4C!! It's there for the Welsh speaking population and those learning, so if you don't speak it then I think you should accept any English commentary as a bonus.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 12:01
As I said Rich I was listing to the English audio option (ironically you have to choose Welsh because S4C can not be bothered to set it up correctly) so there is a completely different audio stream. I agree its a bonus, often wondered how it fits with their remit, but it is well used and not offered on some matches since Sky got involved in the Pro12, but there no reason to play the Welsh interview directly on it when the balls is in play.

Actually I forgot if you want really one-eyed commentary/comments they try BBC NI, I'll choose BBC Wales/Alba, or SC4 over that if their a choice of coverage.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 12:26
Actually, given that as a BBC licence fee payer I contribute to the funding of S4C I don't think it is entirely unreasonable to have an option for English commentary.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 23:01
Ar ddiwedd y dydd Stuart Barnes yn y bôn Cymraeg beth bynnag, felly mae cymesuredd hyfryd i edau. Nid yw y dylai teimlad gwrth-Gymraeg perturb ein dyfroedd tawel i lawr yma ym Mryste. Mae pob dylem ofalu amdano yw y byddwn yn chwarae unrhyw glybiau Cymru o ganlyniad y flwyddyn nesaf. Dim gemau Eingl-Gymreig ystyrlon, wrth i ni ddioddef flwyddyn wastraffu un arall yn y bencampwriaeth. Mae gobaith uffernol. Stil, gallai fod yn waeth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net