rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Promotion by January
Big Dave (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 12:53
There has been a lot of chatter about how the end of the play offs will help Bristol. The theory being that promotion could be clinched very early which makes Bris an attractive destination over at least 4 clubs in the premiership who might not be able to guarantee premiership rugby for the following season until at least April. Guaranteed premierships rugby, the fact that we are such an amazing club blah blah, Steve Lansdown's cash, and Pat Lam in January might get signatures where the competition are clubs who might be in the championship.

It's a nice theory, but I note that the last time there was no play off barrier, Quins came up on 3 April having lost one, and Northampton on 22 March not losing once.

A lot of it will depend on the oppo in the league, but is promotion by Jan fanciful?

Worth noting, though, 13 league games in 2017, and 9 in 2018.

Re: Promotion by January
Rich. (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 13:46
Yes but any prospective signing would have been able to make a safe signing for them in the January of the particular year. If we are 12 points clear by end of January then we'll be seen as a very safe bet.

I think Irish will struggle big time and therefore Worcester etc will look fairly OK by March, so I don't think we'll have the advantage over as many as 4 Prem club's by then or even the end of January.

BUT if we seem to have a squad which looks like it will comfortably survive then and a belief we will develop and challenge in 2 or 3 years then I think we Will be a good destination for many players

Re: Promotion by January
Jimeno (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 14:45
The lowest number of points for the team coming second in the championship is 74 which happened on 3 occasions. So the earliest promotion would have been certain in those years would have been after the 15th bonus point win which would be in the middle of February.

In reality certainty would come later than that but probability could possibly come sooner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net