rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Pat Lam interview - Rugby Paper today
Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 09:55
Just to let you know, I caught up with Pat just before he left Connacht and the piece, mainly about the task at Bristol, is towards the back end of today's Rugby Paper.

Hope it's of interest.

Cheers, Harvs

Re: Pat Lam interview - Rugby Paper today
Brisman (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 10:26
Excellent, I'm off to the shop to get my copy in a bit.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 11:03
Anyone who can summarise the article on here would be much appreciated.

Brisman (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 12:48
Quote:
Platwell House
Anyone who can summarise the article on here would be much appreciated.
He's going to set three goals, being in the Champions Cup, he's not aiming to get into the Premiership and survive, his goals are much higher than that. The second is making sure we have players playing for England, making sure Bristol provide a clear pathway to make that possible. The third is he wants there to be a good core of Bristol born players with links to local schools and clubs. The passion of Steve Lansdown and Chris Booy was a big factor in him coming here, if it wasn't for their vision he wouldn't of come here, even with his substantial pay rise. The approach will be the same for all games, be that against Exeter or Ealing. Finished by saying there's only one way to go! Reading the article just reinforced my belief that he's the right man to get us where we want to be! Roll on September!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2017 12:49 by Brisman.

Portisteve (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 14:12
That sounds amazing! Come on the 70-odd days! Can't wIt now

18 June, 2017 15:33
Thanks Brisman, I am getting super excited now, having seen him on Youtube give interviews he is a man who you would follow to hell and back for.

robtheh (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 18:28
Pretty good interview, well summarised by Brisman.
Other mildly interesting thing of note in TRP is that Tom Arscott is off to Rouen in Federale 1 in France...to link up with Richard Hill, who's in charge there.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 18:45
Really pleased for Tom A. Hope he has a great life in France.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 16:56
Here's my full interview with Pat. The one in the paper was a slightly shortened version.

NEALE HARVEY talks exclusively to new Bristol supremo PAT LAM about his vision to establish the West Country club amongst European rugby’s elite

Inbound Bristol head coach Pat Lam has laid out his manifesto for bringing success to his new club – a future that includes Champions Cup rugby, greater England representation and a core of Bristolians at the heart of his Ashton Gate revolution.
Those lofty ambitions may seem fanciful for a club that has consistently punched below its weight and faces another stint in the Championship following relegation.
However, having taken Irish province Connacht from near extinction to the Pro 12 title in 2016, the legendary Samoan back rower is confident of repeating the trick at Bristol, a club with significantly greater financial muscle to land some serious blows.
Lam, 48, explained to The Rugby Paper: “There were three goals I set for Connacht that are exactly the same for Bristol – and number one is being in the Champions Cup. We’re not interested in just survival, we have to be aiming much higher than that.
“The second goal is to make sure there are players playing for England. I know a couple of blokes who are leaving (Jason Woodward and Jamal Ford-Robinson) were called up at the back end of the season but all players want to play at the highest level and we need a genuine pathway to ensure more Bristol players come through.
“The third one is it’s vital for us to have a good representation of Bristolian players who are connected to local schools and clubs.
“I set those goals at Connacht and we achieved the Champions Cup, beating teams like Toulouse, Wasps and Bath; we had six players involved in the last Six Nations; and a high percentage of our squad was locally produced from the west of Ireland.”
Lam added: “I see exactly the same plan for Bristol and for me it’s about ensuring that everything we do is of international standard, which is what I’ll tell the players.
“I want them to know that when they get called up by England it won’t be a shock because they’ll have prepared to those standards. The quality of our training and preparation will be that high and I want our management to be of that standard too.
“I want everybody at Bristol – players, coaches and backroom staff – to be aiming for national teams and if we do that the games will take care of themselves, whether we’re in the Championship, the Premiership or Europe, or playing Exeter or Rotherham.”
While Bristol have long talked a good game, Lam provides substance to the theory that he might finally be the man to deliver on their potential by outlining how, over four glorious seasons, he established lowly Connacht as a force in European rugby.
He explained: “When I arrived at Connacht in 2013 they were clearly the fourth Irish province with regards to perception and resources compared to the big three of Leinster, Ulster and Munster and the number of Test players in their squads.
“The biggest change we needed to make was to their mindset. We knew the history but it was all about the vision and we had to make sure all our work was at the cutting edge to be successful, so there were three things that stood out.
“One, you’ve got to have a really good game that can challenge other teams regardless of what individuals you have.
“Two, you’ve got to have a really good culture because if you don’t enjoy being there and don’t want to work hard for each other and know what sort of a game you’re going to play, it isn’t going to work and you may as well move on.
“And the third one is about building and growing the leadership so the players are driving everything hard on and off the field.
“We developed all those things at Connacht and the really pleasing thing is that while the club is still under-resourced compared to the big three, in the last three years we’re the only team in Ireland to have won a trophy.
“These are the things I hope to bring to Bristol so that, eventually, we can compete with the Saracens and Exeters.”
Lam has faced accusations in Ireland that he is only leaving for the money – a fact he neither denies nor makes any apology for.
However, he also reveals sound rugby reasons why he turned down offers from elsewhere to pin his colours to Bristol’s mast.
Lam said: “Put the money to one side, the biggest thing for me was when I spoke to (chairman) Chris Booy and (owner) Steve Lansdown.
“You have to have clarity over your vision and both are Bristolians who are passionate about their sport and who had looked at my work at Connacht and wanted me to bring that here, so they understand the process.
“There are no surprises, I know where they want to head and they know all the different things I’ll do to achieve that vision. A couple of other clubs talked to me but I just knew my vision and that of Bristol were aligned.
“We’re in a fickle business and people know the salary at Bristol is different and there’s more money, but money is only about what you can do with it and it’s also about my family and funding my kids’ education.
“I still wouldn’t have taken the job if the vision wasn’t right, though. I spent a lot of time with Chris and Steve and was impressed by their vision.”
Lam’s career has seen him win a Premiership title with Newcastle, a Heineken Cup with Northampton and appear at three World Cups for Samoa, before guiding Connacht to their unexpected Pro 12 triumph last year.
So how does a stint in the Championship grab him?
He adds: “The game is a celebration of what we do in the week and I can’t control whether we’re in the Championship. But whether we’re playing Saracens or Ealing, what won't change is what we do day-to-day off the field.
“There’s no doubt teams will be gunning for Bristol and I’ve been on that underdog side as well. But we’ll have total respect for all our opposition and it’s up to my players to be on the job and prove they are top-flight players.
“It’s really important that we stamp our own mark and rather than just follow, we want to be pushing boundaries. Bristol are hungry for change and there’s only one way to go.”
END

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 18:29
Thanks Neale. Great interview.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 19:14
Thanks Neale, really good interview!

19 June, 2017 21:56
Thanks Neale, I hope I am not wrong but I believe that the messiah may have arrived at Ashton Gate

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net