Shocked at how low these are:

Newcastle v Worcester 5,800

Sale v Newcastle 4,500

Chiefs v Irish 8,500

Worcs v Wasps 7,700

Just an observation . . .

Re: Premiership Attendances
11 September, 2017 09:30
The obsession with the attendances of other teams makes this message board a laughing stock at times. Surely you must have something else to think about.

gran (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:54
Interesting observations Koh. Goodness knows how some of this is financially viable in the long term, despite some of the clubs being reasonably successful from the point of view of playing performance.

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:58
Quote:
For Crying Out Loud!
The obsession with the attendances of other teams makes this message board a laughing stock at times. Surely you must have something else to think about.

Who rattled your cage? It was a simple observation . . With replies like that its no surprise this forum has been reduced to a dozen contributors. I think this may be my last post . . its been fun over the years

bennystoon (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:05
agree Kingofthehill too many clicky proprietorial people on here who have their heads up their backsides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 10:09 by bennystoon.

delthedoor (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:11
KOH don't let an ill mannered k**b stop you from raising a valid discussion. I too am mildly shocked at particularly Exes' attendance. Was it a one off, maybe because of the perceived weak opposition I wonder?

Peter D (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:28
Quote:
delthedoor
I too am mildly shocked at particularly Exes' attendance. Was it a one off, maybe because of the perceived weak opposition I wonder?

Perhaps it's boring watching a team who wins all time. I wouldn't know (Sm100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 10:29 by Peter D.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:39
Poor early season support looking at those.

Makes you realise how massive we are by comparison, even during our Championship tour.

C'mon Bris....

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:08
I think I am write in saying that attendances for the first couple of weeks are never that great due to many people being on holiday (& is cricket still being played?) and it taking a bit of time for the less regular attendees to get their head around to the season starting.

I suspect the Exeter and Worcester attendances are similar to recent Seasons.

I think and hope things are starting to change slowly but surely in Newcastle but Sale's attendances are a big concern for them I'm sure.

I have a passing interest in attendances as it gives some reflection on the game's health in the country. what I find a problem is when a few people seem to imply that poor crowds mean teams are not worthy of being in the premiership or at least not as worthy as us but this particular thread has in no way suggested that.

Toby12 (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:14
KOH, take no notice I've had same thing before and thought about not bothering again.

Think your bit on attendances is very interesting and underlines how well we are supported compared to others. Should be a Prem. side based on attendance but need a team who can get us up and keep us there.

Hoopsy (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:20
It costs a lot if money to watch Rugby these days ...most people aren't that well off in these times of austerity ... Im not surprised ... If we average about 7K this year we will have done well.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:20
If promotion does happen I hope that the board look into reducing the prices for some key games so that the stadium could get close to its full capacity. Watching Wasps beat Leicester in front of a near full house on the TV the crowd were electric!

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 12:21
With attendances like this, I don't see how Premiership rugby is sustainable for some of these clubs. Yes, I understand that owners are putting up the difference but in the long run, how can a club run a first team of sufficient quality and depth and also develop new talent through an Academy. And maintain stadia and pitches to a good standard.

Clubs have to start being more innovative in their ways of bringing many more new supporters to matches to stop being totally reliant on TV money and owners.

Our attendances should see us at the top of the heap instead of bouncing between Championship and Prem. Very frustrating.

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 14:31
Attendances not necessarily key to profitability of course I'm pretty sure Exeter have been in profit last few years and, while a good size, their average has been below 10k 11k. So Sale would be ok with their size crowd if they were making good money outside/alongside rugby like Exe and Wasps do.big IF of course

gran (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 14:58
There are two issues here.

First is the pertinent comment from King of the hill which has elicited much response given the contributions from several in a few hours and that is what this forum should be all about

Secondly is the response to KOTH by Crying out Loud and to which there has been no subsequent rejoinder and which is an all too familiar attempt to thwart well intentioned debate.

Perhaps Col might enlighten us with his further observations on this subject lest we conclude as, in the words of Shakespeare 'A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool'

Furriner (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 17:30
Good response Gran; I'm impressed you remember your Shakey, which, apart from a few lines from the witches in Macbeth I couldn't have done.

But back on topic: this is a valid post imo and I've always been interested in attendance figures and what they might mean.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 15:14
Only 3 or 4 premiership clubs break even or get close to breaking even each year. The rest have to be funded by their shareholders/owner.

Clearly, Worcester have big problems at the moment but Newcastle, Gloucester and Sale are also finding things very difficult.

I think it's quite valid to highlight the low attendances. This is a problem across rugby and not just for individual clubs. Many of the Championship clubs who have been brave or foolhardy enough to try to fund a competitive team for an extended period have come a cropper as well.

Part of the problem is the fact that rugby support is localised in England - whilst the RFU wants to turn the sport into a UK wide game.

The other part of the problem is that owners are prepared to fund a revenue gap to 'buy' success and that puts player wages up across the whole of the professional game.

At the moment the level of support for rugby in England is probably only just enough for one professional division. The Championship can't really fund a professional game on the attendance levels there are.

gran (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 16:38
Very good post thorpebay

Bris Bob (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:15
Question? Its well known the round ball game gets massive revenue from TV rights.How does rugby fare in revenue ,my guess this must be a significant contributor to the poorer attended Prem clubs

Olly (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:04
I agree with those above and For what it's worth I too keep an eye on attendance figures. To me it's a valid issue. One that highlights how well a club is doing as a whole rather than just on the pitch it also in a roundabout sort of way allows certain comparisons with our own club.
Secondly as I've said many times before before by shouting down people who post items that are for what ever reason, valid to them, we discourage people from contributing to this forum. That is not good.
I don't care what people post (within obvious boundaries)whether they can spell or if their grammar and punctuation is wrong, mine always is, because I like you have the choice whether or not to add to a topic or move to the next. It's not exactly difficult is it? The point is everybody's opinions count whether we agree or disagree makes for a good debate and enriches all.
Encourage new posters and play nice.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net