rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Olly Robinson & Palamo
JamboBris (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 09:50
Different positions too. Competing with lam and Thomas for 7 and NFW/Luatua for 6 is a lot more competitive than crane and haining. Would personally like to see Robinson at 6 with Thomas 7 and Luatua at 8 but hey ho.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 10:42
We have 3 7 in Lam, Thomas and Olly, plus NFW who is 7+ so game time with us is limited. Thomas is new and looks good so would be stupid to go on loan, Lam can be world class at his best and probably need managing back from injury. So I would imaging the choice was between Olly and NFW as to who to go to the Blues, in my book it would do both the world of good to see a new and possibly higher challenge for a few weeks.

Don't see this as the out door for Olly but I certainly think there is a challenge for him, Lam and NFW to be in the long term plans. Same true for any of the experience members of the squad who does not get game time or makes the most of it. Pat seems to want proven and performing front line squad with a young and potential as back up rather than journeymen experience players.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Bris nut (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 12:18
"Pat seems to want proven and performing front line squad with a young and potential as back up rather than journeymen experience players.

Graham
Amen to that !

Big Dave (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 16:29
Quote:
EverOptimistic
They'll be playing in a tough league that's a step up from the Championship

If they play. Plenty of examples of loan players pitching up and doing nothing.

Thomas Bristow, anyone?

happyH (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 20:49
To me Dan Thomas for has looked better than OR on what limited games I have seen so far

CMON BRISS

Graham_U (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 10:00
Don't remember that one DB? Not some relation of yours by any chance?

HH, do you not think they play a different type of game? Olly is more of a hardworking forward support 7, where as Dan seems to be more of a speedy auxiliary back. So its difficult to draw a direct comparison, if its a tight game Olly I'd go with Olly.

But I am really impressed with what Dan offers in the loose, although it is more of a high risk game that I don't think we are currently playing the type of game plan to make the most of. I've also noticed its has included a large number of errors (knock-on, isolated pen, forward pass) as a result. But as a new young player I think Dan can develop with the team to become a more integrated part of the team.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

Big Dave (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 15:41
"Don't remember that one DB? Not some relation of yours by any chance?"

Here for about five minutes last season, prop from Wasps. Never played as far as I remember.

No relation. At least not that one.

henlil (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 17:52
Palamo starts in the centre, against Ulster.

bs11 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 21:20
I do wonder wether the changes in regard to the tackle area have changed what coaches will want from the 7 and if ball carrying is more crucial as your traditional 7 may not be as effective at turning the ball over as previously under the new laws.

graham t (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 15:02
Olly R on the bench for Cardiff v Connacht. As is Matthew Morgan; presumably Cardiff haven't solved the problem of how to make the most of his abilities whilst hiding his shortcomings either.

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 20:22
I see Thretton endeared himself to the Dragons fans with a farsical cock up grounding the ball in his in-goal area - Ulster stuffed Dragons btw....
Poor old Palamo....

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 07:13
Quote:
bs11
I do wonder wether the changes in regard to the tackle area have changed what coaches will want from the 7 and if ball carrying is more crucial as your traditional 7 may not be as effective at turning the ball over as previously under the new laws.

Interesting. With this in mind, I've always thought Hurrell could be deployed at 7.

Rich. (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 09:26
Olly was magnificent when he came in for Cardiff. The number of tackles and turnovers he achieved in his 15 mins or so was amazing.

graham t (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:11
Olly came on after 50 mins, so he was on the pitch for 30 mins or so. Certainly stood out. I'm sure Cardiff will be very happy to have him

cardiff_steve (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 11:20
Quote:
Rich.
Olly was magnificent when he came in for Cardiff. The number of tackles and turnovers he achieved in his 15 mins or so was amazing.

That's overegging it slightly but yes, I thought he played very well. There was one very important turnover in there.

Rich. (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 12:05
Ah right!- was watching it later, forwarding as appropriate, so it seemed 15mins to me!

Graham_U (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 09:54
I'd agree with Cardiff on Olly, played well, worked hard, the odd mistake, but he did seem a little lost with the game plan at time which is not surprising.

It was a typically Palamo game, some great breaks, but some outstanding howlers when not looking switched on, particularly not grounding the ball before that try. whilst keen, at times he did seem to be a little lost while watching the game go on around him. As most of us know if he ever gets his head right he could be a devastating player with such speed and strength.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 10:48
Quote:
Singapore Sam
Never understood why Palamo was retained, if you're not doing the basics right at 28 then you never will. He's flattered to deceived especially on the 7s circuit where there is more time and space and his speed and atheleticism were able to compensate. He will be caught out in the Championship never mind the Premiership.

I agree...he looks a competent player when running in a straight line with the ball in his hand....but incredibly poor in defence, making poor decisions, and with the turning circle of a tank.

Given Sarries don't often miss in identifying diamonds in the rough, the fact he played so infrequently for them says a lot.

youngone (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 13:10
so after 2 rounds of fixtures with each squad (maybe 3...) I see that robinson is starting and palamo is out of the 22 in this weekends welsh pro12 derby. Starting to get the feeling we may not get robinson back; either through Cardiff signing him up or someone else swooping for him. Its a shame really because I personally was excited by the prospect of him and Thomas continually improving to compete for the 7 jersey and us ending up with a top top 7... we'll see

AGS (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 13:31
Many of us were tipping Robinson to be captain. Sadly I think he's off though

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net