rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rugby's injury crisis
dpw (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:40
A very interesting and somewhat disturbing read.....

[www.bbc.co.uk]

dpw

Re: Rugby's injury crisis
Big Dave (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 11:22
Wow, this is extraordinary. Don't know what to say, other than I am not sure I feel I could be critical of a player ever again.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:02
A belting good read indeed. It's no surprise that players are considering strike action over the possibility of the season being restructured and extended....that is of course if they can physically make it to the picket line!

When you look at the stats, the current size of our squad doesn't seem quite so daft, the difficulty comes then in trying to be able to keep players playing meaningful rugby, but equally keeping them 'fit' to play 1st XV games.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Target (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:41
Interesting to reflect on the squad having depth in numbers and quality so that training can have sufficient intensity and to thoroughly test defensive patterns and attacking plays. An injury crisis doesn't just impact on selection for the weekend.

youngone (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:48
Reading that it seems a huge problem that surely can only get worse.

So hard to think of a solution that the clubs, players, fans and sponsors would be happy with.. not sure if one exists.

Furriner (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:30
Several 'solutions ' have been posited in recent weeks. Some of the owners would like to extend the season (can't see that helping); Damian Hopley (players union) wants a longer break; some of the players have argued for larger squads and, in Billy Vunipola's case, said he'd take a pay cut to help resolve the lack of recovery time.

When you read this item it brings it home that there's no point in wringing your hands. Rest and recuperation have to become a greater priority. World Rugby has stepped in to improve things like HIA, and will likely have to take some unpopular decisions about injuries in general.

BigO (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:56
There was an interesting snippet about this on BT Sport the other day - saying that the new laws for this season have increased the number of collisions and ball in play time by around 30% (from memory), which is having a direct correlation on the number of injuries team are seeing. They also said that most of the 'new' injuries are coming from playing in games, rather than training... and that either bodies will have to 'adapt', or the laws will have to be changed... whatever comes first!

chuckynut (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 14:12
It appears that the short term cause of this has been the rule changes?

But more generally a shorter season with fewer games (both club and international) has got to be the way to go. Preferably one with proper international breaks and a lengthy off season to give all players (inc. ones on international tour) a long break.

I'd start with the autumn internationals - I have next to no interest in England's games next month - we've played Australia and Argentina a fair bit recently and the Samoa game is unlikely to be exciting. Top of the table AP clashes or EC cup games with fully fit squads are of more interest.

A shorter season and whatever rule changes were needed to improve player welfare should mean that you have better quality fixtures featuring the better players. Long term that should result in those fixtures having more commercial value and enable so no one should lose out.

gran (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 14:21
13 instead of 15 , and I ain't talking rugby league. It's too attritional and the key areas of injury are in and around the scrum and rucks and mauls. Players are super fit these days and 30 players means a war of attrition. 7's rugby is now an established Olympic sport viewed across the world, its free flowing rugby with one on one hits, not a damn great melee of players one of whom has his body being bent out of shape for life.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:07
Remove padding. Make it more painful to tackle with poor technique. Penalise shoulder charges. Apply the laws correctly at scrum time instead of allowing referees to interpret things and introducing 'variations' to address problems that wouldn't be problems if things were done properly in the first place.

Albertfromla (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:24
Chuckynut. To much money involved in Autumn internationals but I agree with you. If we have to have them Prem should be suspended during that period giving most Prem players rest time
I realise that these games will still need to played but a short break I think would be beneficial to the players long term

Big Dave (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:37
Have an international break like football.

If you must have domestic rugby during that period combine the Anglo Welsh and British and Irish cups into one one competition for premiership development sides on the same basis the pro14 compete, the Championship and the Scots, Welsh and Irish.

Or no competition at all. Have a break.

Peter D (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:39
We all cheer a big hit, sometimes, "Oooh" at huge collision. We all love the physical nature of the sport, alongside the elegance, even beauty, of the skills exhibited by the players.

Rugby has a huge problem. Nobody wants the game to lose the appeal of its physicality but the players need to be protected, sometimes from themselves. The game, it seems to me, would be safer if the laws were enforced rather than interpreted. No pushing until the ball is in the scrum. Every player at a ruck bound (is that even still in laws?) and on their feet. The tackle is surely the hardest to make safer. No shoulder charge or high tackles, of course, but how to protect the tackler from bad technique. Illegaltackles should be more harshly treated by referees (who would need to enforce it consistently througha whole season and not stop when the coaches - and supporters - complain of too many red cards.

Perhaps the number of replacements could be reduced. That would mean that coaches would have to select players who they know can last for eighty minutes. They would need to find ways of playing that would reduce the likelihood of injury.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 16:03
But you would still be bashing highly tuned lumps of muscle into each other at I imagine ever increasing speeds. The collision has to be won.

So fewer collisions, which I think can only be achieved through fewer games.

International break? Global season? Cap on games/minutes played?

What do other sports do?

robtheh (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 16:06
How about the reduction of substitute numbers?

Paulie (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 18:06
I'd be interested to see the stats for head injuries since the change in the tackling laws. Seems to me that there more players going off with head injuries now they have tackle lower than there ever were when they could go higher. Whether that will improve as technique improves over the next few seasons is another matter. Or is it that HIAs are now making it more obvious?

Furriner (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 07:36
HIAs are a good idea, but it does mean we can't draw any reliable conclusions between stats before and now (except we'll be able to in successive seasons of course).

An earlier poster mentioned shoulder charges. I don't know if he had 'clearing out ' in mind, which I think is a really dangerous practice and could probably be stamped out by refs without a law change. I'd also outlaw leaping deer-like for the high ball, which in any event seems to be used more and more cynically to coax cards out of refs.

Perhaps our medical folk could advise on whether certain body-building supplements should be added to the banned list. Huge lumps of muscle careering around the pitch isn't really necessary in rugby.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 11:52
Referee the breakdown properly, would make a massive difference!

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 14:02
Cynical part of me thinks this is because a couple of the "big" clubs are not performing to the standard expected of them and have found a convenient scapegoat. None of this talk was around last year when the likes of ourselves and Wuss were struggling with large injury lists.

The particular reason why? The group who study and record all the injury statistics since the game went pro said in the last week or so that the amount of injuries are within normal parameters aka not too different from previous years. I can't recall the place I read it now which is annoying but a bit of Google-fu may conjure up something.

I also believe Quins and Wasps have been most outspoken regarding the amount of tackles they've had to make being up this season, which is where those quotes are coming from yet other clubs are muted by comparison. Could that have something to do with their style of play rather than new laws?

That said it's still quite early in the season so it is harder to accurately judge. Players still chomp at the bit to play this game at the highest level. Could be that there is actually a problem too of course.

Old Bristolian (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 15:10
A lot of the 'clearing out' seems to involve hitting players who are nowhere near the ball and not part of the 'ruck' at all. How is this even legal?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net