rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RP Gossip
Earlsbris (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 10:00
Last week was the first week in a while where the Rugby Paper didnít mention Bristol - this week we are mentioned in every article! In short:
- Hurrell signs for Edinburgh
- Pat Lam seriously interested in signing Macken from wasps
- Tovey & Pisi may be leaving (nothing substantive)
- Motu Matuíu signed and possibly Thacker as well
- Quins now favourite for Auterac

Re: RP Gossip
EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 11:34
Will be sad about Tovey and Pisi if that rumour becomes reality. Thought Pisi played well yesterday. Can't keep them all I suppose.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 11:43
Both Pisi and Tuvs have put in MOTM appearances this season, would be big losses. Hurrell hasn't had this same impact this season but we know he's got it at prem level, leading the league turnover stats for a while last season as well.

Do we put much stock in TRP rumours? Has anyone checked their track record as it seems most players to Bristol rumours have been false so logically Bris players to elsewhere would be equally inaccurate.

12 November, 2017 11:48
Have a gut feeling the Hurrell rumour is true. I think maybe he's struggling to fit into the new setup/ethos/processes/systems (no inside knowledge, just speculating)

shhandy (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 11:52
Hurrell made a difference when he came on yesterday, hit the line at real speed and sucked in players that took him down. English quality field, so shame if he goes.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 12:09
Hurrell to Edinburgh would make more sense if he is Scottish-qualified.....no idea if he is though

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 13:16
Not sure on Hurrell this season. He stood out last year, but has fallen back in the face of competition from Alapati Leiua and the reinvigorated and injury-free Tusi Pisi. I've also liked the look of Madigan when he has switched to 12.

When he's had opportunities, Hurrell has looked a little static by comparison and seems constantly drawn to carrying the ball into contact. The other options are far more likely to produce a decent offload.

Furriner (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 14:10
Would we be signing two new hookers? That would indicate we're ready to divest ourselves of one or more from the current squad. So perhaps the rumour that Thacker is headed to Quinn's makes sense.

Still waiting for a couple of big ugly locks to be signed - although after yesterday's performance I've suddenly lost my enthusiasm for Saffers

groovybaz (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 15:26
I wonder if we will add a few reinforcements in the next few Months to help with maintaining 1st place. Got a feeling next seasons squad will look very different indeed.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 16:33
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
Not sure on Hurrell this season. He stood out last year, but has fallen back in the face of competition from Alapati Leiua and the reinvigorated and injury-free Tusi Pisi. I've also liked the look of Madigan when he has switched to 12.
When he's had opportunities, Hurrell has looked a little static by comparison and seems constantly drawn to carrying the ball into contact. The other options are far more likely to produce a decent offload.

Hurrell is not a bad player.....a starter for a Premiership struggler, or squad depth for a team higher up. As the latter is our goal, I don't think he would be a loss.

Also, in a game plan that requires our front-5 forwards to pass like a decent centre, I am not sure there is a place for a centre who can't pass like a decent centre.

T J (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 18:58
Letís not forget Richard Cockerill is the main man at Edinburgh so him and Hurrell will know each other from Tiggers.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
12 November, 2017 20:02
Can see there being a fair few departures and arrivals again this summer. Wallace, Tovey etc haven't been playing and quite rightly should depart to play regular rugby. Pisi would be a shame as he seems to fit the playmaking role at 12 well but if we can get someone in to do the same who's best years are ahead of them I can see why. Hurrell doesn't have the passing ability for the gameplan we are using so can't see him being a regular starter, despite how good he was for us last year.

12 November, 2017 22:40
Wasnt there a strong rumour that Hurrell wanted to move on when we were relegated, but didn't have a release clause in his contract? If so, probably best for him and the club to move on now.

happyH (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 07:47
Think all this rumour is a bit unfair on the bloke
Think he is still a great centre and I for one would want to keep him.
You need someone to comitt defenders and Hurell and leuea are those sort of centres

CMon briss

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 09:48
Committing defenders is only really useful if you can draw them and then offload. Hurrell doesn't pass, which undermines the good work he does in drawing men toward him and creating space for those outside him

dpw (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 16:22
According to the Post the RP states " Bristol Rugby reported to have signed Gloucester hooker Moto Matu'u" as per the RP

Link.....[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2017 16:25 by dpw.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:36
Most interesting thing in the column for me is where it says we don't have to wait til the new year to talk to prem players. Without playoffs that hands us a distinct advantage over Irish, wuss etc when it comes to recruitment.

cuddles (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:03
So the big recruitment question must be when will we actually sign a current England player?

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:08
We won't. Current internationals very rarely move clubs. And why would we want to? It's bad enough losing our Samoan contingent to the infrequent tests they get to play, why recruit someone on a huge wedge who doesn't play for us in a significant part of the season and then gets broken or knackered?

Developing our own who go on to play internationally is a different matter.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:11
Aside from Ford and May I wouldn't say any of the England regulars have moved for a while. Particularly stalwarts like brown, care, cole etc. Would much rather we go down the route of getting the next England players through our academy or signing youngsters, would make me bloody proud to see one of our academy lads playing for Bris and England.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net