rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Aviva Premiership criteria - Ealing
thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 21:03
Almostatyke, I think you are spot on. A few years ago I congratulated the then Chairman of London Welsh for winning promotion and having the balls to stand up to the prl and rfu at the time. But I did say that I thought he was misguided and that LW would be better off being at the top of the championship, winning and not spending quite so much on their team. He didn't agree.
This occured a couple of weeks after a lunch with someone from the Bedford Board who explained their rational for pretty much the same. Anyone with any sense said they were nuts and betting the club with debt on a fantasy.
And so it proved.

Ealing is slightly different in that they have a rich backer who wants to see them play at the top table. Who knows why and who really cares. But despite their rich backer they don't have a groundswell of support that would generate revenue. Their rich backer will have to chuck in 6 figure sums on a regular basis until they either grow support from 500 to 9ish k. Or, until Mr trailfinder gets bored of chucking that money in.
If they got promotion he would either have to accept immediate relegation or upping support to eye watering levels.

So where is this going? Ealing could well pass the criteria if they do a deal with a football club. Would it be sensible? No, it would be the inevitable ruin of the club.

So only Bristol, and perhaps Leeds, have the wherewithal to compete in the premium in the foreseeable future. I'm afraid I'm moving towards scrapping relegation even though it will turn the lower half of the prem into an interest free zone.

Ealing should fail wonderfully and milk a near David and Goliath performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2017 21:04 by thorpebayexile.

Steelman (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 20:47
I think with the Reading days coming to an end Ealing Irish or Trailfinders could easily come about for a 1 and it could be an ideal fit.Prime potential development properties involved.Not much money in rugby... Watch this space!

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 08:29
Ealing would be better off going somewhere like Wycombe. It's just up the road from Ealing (whereas Reading isn't), obviously used to hosting rugby and is a more suitable size for an emerging club with, let's face it, one of the smallest fan bases in the top two divisions.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 08:36
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Ealing would be better off going somewhere like Wycombe. It's just up the road from Ealing (whereas Reading isn't), obviously used to hosting rugby and is a more suitable size for an emerging club with, let's face it, one of the smallest fan bases in the top two divisions.

Didn't Wasps leave there because they found it unable to be sustainable there? And that's despite the massive advantage they have over Ealing of history, brand recognition, etc.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 09:56
I don't think the speculation is that Ealing move to Reading. I think it is that Ealing look at ground-sharing in Brentford which is where Lirish are already supposed to be moving. And the temptation is to think that Ealing and Irish would therefore be candidates fro a merger.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 10:26
I would have thought the only possible reason for a merger would be if ring-fencing came in,
else given the size of the two it would be more like an O'rish take over. Despite the Trailfinders investment, Ealing are an order of magnitude short of what is required for a Prem squad or fan base.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 10:30
I suspect they have more money though. And money talks.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 10:52
I'm sure their owner does Gray, but do they have enough to spend on this dream when they only get less a thousand through the gate, and what must currently a tiny revenue stream. They'd need 10 times that crowd for anywhere near sustainable, and they don't even have LWelsh history to build on, and look how well that went. I would imagine they would need to be willing to spend/lose 10M+ a season just to attempt to compete in the prem from where they are now.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Bris Bob (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 22:22
Just a note re the debate here as someone who used to live in Ealing and still has connections there. The new stadium has not started construction and has had local issues it may well happen ,but as is well known in particular for some in Bristol ,plans for and getting a stadium are very different things .Lirish or Ealing @ Brentford?

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 09:57
They have already started ground clearance on the site with construction scheduled to start in February. There is a planning meeting tonight to vary the existing permissions to make the stadium slightly smaller in capacity and dimensions and also to allow the playing of Rugby by a club called London Irish. These changes are recommended for approval.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 10:54
Out of curiosity does it mention London Irish by name on the plans or just "rugby" or similar?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 10:30
Quote:
Rinkadink
Out of curiosity does it mention London Irish by name on the plans or just "rugby" or similar?

London Irish by name.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net