rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Yann Thomas
Tiny George (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 17:27
It was mentioned on another thread that we had signed him for next season. I remember him being a useful prop at Glaws, playing both loose and tight head. Embarrassed to say I don’t recall him at Bris. Anyone else have a view as to his quality as a prop?

Re: Yann Thomas
Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 18:00
Good solid performer. Not sure that he ever played for us though.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 18:20
Went from our academy to Glos as far as I'm aware?

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 18:45
So so, 2nd or 3rd choice prop IMO. He was in our academy but not sure if he ever played senior rugby for us. If I remember correctly he jumped ship pretty quick in the dark days pre SL.

BigO (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:14
With the greatest of respect to him, surely any new prop we bring in has to be better than what we already have? Not sure we need anymore 'squad' players, especially props, no matter how versatile they are?

Whilst on the subject, I'd like to see Ollie Dawe a bit more please Pat! (although granted, he's been injured...).

JamboBris (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:14
Quote:
BigO
With the greatest of respect to him, surely any new prop we bring in has to be better than what we already have? Not sure we need anymore 'squad' players, especially props, no matter how versatile they are?
Whilst on the subject, I'd like to see Ollie Dawe a bit more please Pat! (although granted, he's been injured...).

Faletau - been injured
Cortes - class
Gendall - not seen a great deal of him
Thomas - not our player
Giltrow - not seen a great deal of him

Soane - out of contract at season end, expect to leave
O'connell - hasn't started much
Cosgrove- not seen much of
Dawe - not seen
Bevington - likely return to Wales at seasons end

Could definitely do with more props even as squad players of premiership standard.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 17:44
JOC had plenty of games since he been here, mainstay of our promotion pack, looked up to the prem when he finally a chance last year, and will improve if he's given the chance. Cosgrove did OK in his break through into the Pro12 last year, another youngster who will get better. So with Dawe we have plenty of potential on LH, just need a stand out starter who is better than the old boys who I'd expect to leave at the end of the seasons and maybe an experienced mentor.

I'm much more worried about TH as only Gaston is ready for the Prem. Would like to see a proven prem/international as back up. Gendall and Faletau look prospects nut definitely need one or two more that can hold up the scrum in that most important position.

So I think we've seen in many games this season how our pack has struggled so we definitively need some attention in the front row. Would also like to see a top class hooker with reliable throwing ability. Ross McM is the most reliable thrower and scrumager by some distance and key to our current squad, but he's probably a little static for Lam's game plan. We may have a couple of mobile hookers but they are not Barry Williams class, and even he had to go due to line out problems. Some of our line out work has been awful, yet with the exception of Evans we now have some of the tallest jumpers we've have for a few years. Many times its clear the throwing and the organisation has been very poor, which does also question the coaching.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:15
I don't think the height of the jumpers is anywhere near as significant as you think.

A well-drilled pack, where nobody is taller than 6'4'', can still have an unstoppable lineout, if the timing is right and the throwing is fast and accurate

JamboBris (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 18:53
Comments meant as per this season so far. Obviously JOC has played an awful lot for us but was referring to this season.

Portisteve (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 20:56
Tighthead - Afoa (taps nose...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2017 21:12 by Portisteve.

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 21:04
Quote:
Portisteve
Hooker - Afoa (taps nose...)
He is a prop though

Portisteve (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 21:12
Yep he sure is don’t know how I came up with that - edited!

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 21:23
His Gloucester mate Matu'u has been linked, along with Thacker. Does anyone know what their lineout throwings like, agree this is a weakness of Bristol that would be exposed in prem

JamboBris (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 08:31
Matu'u and Thacker would be good additions.

stufowell69 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 12:56
Well my mate Harry Thacker is certainly a mobile hooker, look at his Prem try of the season a couple of years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net