rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nick Fenton Wells Hooker
Tiny George (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 12:56
According to the A league team sheet NFW is playing hooker . Is this correct?

Re: Nick Fenton Wells Hooker
SparkyBris (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 13:07
Looks like it. Its mentioned in the write up too!

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

BigO (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 13:14
Varndell in the team too. Ouuchhh.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 13:49
Well the Pat Lam system calls for a hooker who can run and pass like a back row....

My first reaction is that its quite late in his career for such a position change, but Ashley Johnson was even older when he did it.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 13:52
Quote:
BigO

When the ball is coming his way, he is an incredible talent - but with his lack of defence, he really needs to make sure he gets his hand on the ball.

I didn't feel he got himself into the game last weekend.

Portisteve (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:10
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Quote:
BigO

When the ball is coming his way, he is an incredible talent - but with his lack of defence, he really needs to make sure he gets his hand on the ball.

Listening to it on the radio, he it sounded like he struggled with Hurrell inside him and didnít get the quick ball he needed

Jimeno (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 16:38
Quote:
Portisteve
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Quote:
BigO

Listening to it on the radio, he it sounded like he struggled with Hurrell inside him and didnít get the quick ball he needed

He never had any room to play with - every time he got the ball he had to check and turn inside - not his game at all. I think his defence has improved a lot this season.

Old Bristolian (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:09
He wouldn't be allowed to play at hooker unless he was experienced. That's the whole point of the front row/uncontested scrums rule.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:27
Anyone know when he last played hooker and at what level? I had no idea and thought he was a straight backrower.

As for Varndell; he had absolutely no room to work with last match yet did well with what little he had IMO. Not seeing any of these alleged defensive frailties that others claim he has either but maybe that's just me.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 17:30
Clearly NFW must have been training there to qualify. If he can throw well and do a job in the scrum he could be fast tracked into the first team, as the rest of his game suits Lam's style.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

hooter (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 19:13
The only reason the hooker throws in at the lineout is hrs normally the shortest guy in the scrum, the two props normally do the lifting. Anybody can throw in at the lineout

01 December, 2017 22:31
Used to be the winger when I started playing!

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:52
Me too OB, when did that change?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 23:02 by Hercules Spoons.

02 December, 2017 00:13
1972 ish???

youngone (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 10:10
would love it if NFW could convert to hooker. I think hes a great player to have in your matchday squad and he may well be an unfortunate casualty to our highly competitive backrow choice at present.

hooker 72 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 11:42
Hooter, spoken like someone who knows nothing about front row play

elegia (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 08:33
Quote:
Rinkadink
Anyone know when he last played hooker and at what level? I had no idea and thought he was a straight backrower.
As for Varndell; he had absolutely no room to work with last match yet did well with what little he had IMO. Not seeing any of these alleged defensive frailties that others claim he has either but maybe that's just me.

people on here often like a scapegoat or someone that they can pick on for perceived weaknesses, they don't have to exist to be seen as one either
TV has copped a ridiculous amount of flak given the level of the performances he has put in

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

MarkJ (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:41
Have to say I have never understood the Varndell bashing on this forum. The way I see things is Tom Varndell is a great go forward winger with an average defence, this is not exactly unusual. Take Rokodoguni at Bath who is a better go forward winger than Nowell but is nowhere near as good in defence hence not a regular for England, I would understand it if Bristol were blessed with other great defensive wingers to replace Tom but I am yet to see any. Why don't we all get behind his great attacking play and enjoy one of the great try scorers in English Rugby whilst we have him.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:29
Hear hear re. TV.

He's a joy to watch most of the time (especially according to Mrs. Jimenata(Sm93)) and his defence is nowhere near as bad as is sometimes made out.

airdog (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:38
this has got me thinking back to my childhood hero Mike Ellery a winger whos 44 tries in the 1961/2 season is a club record that will never be beaten , however when it came to defence he was awful and most games there were groans from the crowd as someone went passed him with little or no attempt to tackle .
I know the game is totally different now but for me the main job of a winger is to score tries and agree Tom gets too much stick on here .
Incidentally anyone know how Mike Ellery is these days , he was a regular in the West Enclosure but have not seen him at the Gate .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net