rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The face don't fit with the Bristol System?
APPLES (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 18:15
Anyone else think that PL has quite quickly established in his own mind who his favourites are? I'm guessing this is all to do with who he thinks will be able to play in the new, much vaunted Bristol system going forward?

However, its becoming increasingly clear through his selections, who his non-favourites are also! (through lack of 1st team opportunities and ? sent on loan)...Guess this is the cut throat nature of modern day professional sport....but you do wonder how this must impact on morale in the squad over the course of the season?

You have to wonder if there are some players who's "face doesn't fit" with PL...They must feel frustrated...some with more reason to than others to be fair

Some I am thinking of:

Ryan Edwards (one of our best players going forward in prem last year...not really seen him at all last year...? a move back to wales on the cards?)
Will Hurrell (never looks for the offload or the pass, don't think PL will mind him leaving, doesn't fit with the plan going forward)
Nemsadze (never had a chance ? related to overseas players rule...i know lots of injuries but he always seems to be able to play for Georgia)
Palamo (not surprised....never excelled in a Bristol shirt)
Tovey (? a top level player? defence got found out time and again in the prem)

?Tuhoy (seems odd this one)
? Olly Robinson (also odd, could go either way)

Re: The face don't fit with the Bristol System?
Big Dave (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 18:31
"Favourites" is probably not the best way to describe what PL is doing.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 18:47
Not sure your assessment is correct. For example Tuvs has been selected twice and had to withdraw late due to injury plus had periods out with injury. Hurrell has had loads of first team appearances this season both starting and bench so how can he be out of favour at all?

JamboBris (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 19:06
Looking at the group morale seems very high and so it should be. Wallace obviously needs to be looking to play some rugby. Latta seems to have dropped out of contention entirely, possibly injury related though?

Peter_B (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 19:23
He seems to have rotated quite effectively. Sheedy has played a bit. Others have played in Utd matches. We have some more B & I games coming up. Don’t forget we are aiming for top six so players that don’t come with us are not bad players by any means.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 08:26
Ryan Edwards is the only one I am surprised by.

However, based on PL’s aim to have the four in every position (1 x international class, 1 x Prem starter, 2 x promising EQ youngsters), I think the majority of our ‘over 26’ players from last seasons squad will be gone within a year

elegia (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 08:29
protheroe said only this week that this is the tightest group of players he's played with

we have at least 4 changes to starting xv a week

the system is clearly working as lose a few "first choice" players & we sill play the same

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:43
hardly 'favourites', more like 'better players'

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:33
APPLES,

Do you watch the squad training every day like the coaching staff do?

Would you prefer that we select players who are nice chaps but not up to standard initially this season to gain promotion and next season to ensure that we are not immediately relegated?

The year is 2017 and the days when a rugby team was a collection of mates who just wanted to enjoy themselves every Saturday is long gone. Too much money is invested to leave it to chance.

If Pat Lam doesn't produce the results to meet the aforesaid promotion and subsequent consolidation, do you honestly believe that Steve Lansdown will not be looking to replace him?

I haven't the faintest idea why certain players are not chosen by Lam. They may be carrying injuries, not working hard enough in training, or under contract from previous regimes and considered by Lam to be not suitable for the tactics he wants to use. It may not mean that they aren't good enough, just unlucky that they don't suit the Head Coach.

So we either stagnate down in the Championship or even lower, playing local sides like we used to when I was a lad in front of paltry attendances. Or give it everything that we can to be up there chasing for honours with a full stadium to provide encouragement and support.

Bristol Cornish (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:52
Blimey, if you were only allowed to make a comment on this chatroom if you watch the squad training every day there wouldn't be many posts on here!

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:12
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
I think the majority of our ‘over 26’ players from last seasons squad will be gone within a year

I hope not!

Ryan Bevington
Gaston Cortes
Jordan Crane
Nick Fenton Wells
Jason Harris Wright
Jack Lam
David Lemi
Alapati Leiua
Ian Madigan
Ross McMillan
Giorgi Nemsadze
Tusi Pisi
Siale Piutau
Soane Tonga'uiha
Dan Touhy
Tom Varndell

JamboBris (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:40
Ryan Bevington - probably going to wales
Gaston Cortes - class act
Jordan Crane - one year left
Nick Fenton Wells - not got much gametime
Jason Harris Wright - this year
Jack Lam - new contract last year
David Lemi - one more year pre world cup?!
Alapati Leiua - this season
Ian Madigan - this season
Ross McMillan - like him but being linked to lots of hookers
Giorgi Nemsadze - surely off
Tusi Pisi - out of contract
Siale Piutau - new contract start of season
Soane Tonga'uiha - out of contract
Dan Touhy - out of contract and looks to be off
Tom Varndell - out of contract

Rich. (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:55
Hasn't Bevington definitely signed for Dragons?

04 December, 2017 13:10
Quote:
Rich.
Hasn't Bevington definitely signed for Dragons?

From memory, it was only Rhodri that had been confirmed. In fact, i think Pat Lam specifically said that the other's were not yet a done deal.

Furriner (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:06
Sadly some good players will come unstuck because they’ll struggle to play to the new system. Hurrell is a case in point. Not for the first time he just couldn’t get it right on Saturday. Gone are the bullocking runs, to be replaced by a certain indecisiveness as he appears torn between his old style and the need to offload at the appropriate time - which as yet he’s been unable to do. My son said to me: “He’ll be taken off at half time.” And he was. It’s a real shame. I hope he’ll be able to grasp it soon because I’d like to see him stay and perhaps transform himself into a Brad Barrett type of centre.

We’re now approaching Round 12 so the time for experimentation won’t last much longer.

RJC (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 07:10
However on the flip side Pisi is thriving with the new system, where as last season he was not a fan favourite, and didn't adapt to the old system.

You could quantify that by saying the difference in intensity between the two leagues, however that also highlights Hurrell's struggles in adapting.

I don't think the majority of the over 26's will be gone, as I think PL and his team will look at all players, and if they can't adapt to the system then they will need to move on at the end of their contract.

This second half of the season will hopefully be building that core group of players that know the system, and build that team work ethic (like Exeter had come the Championship final all those years ago), so any player changes won't fragment the club, and the work ethic.

05 December, 2017 07:57
Quote:
RJC
However on the flip side Pisi is thriving with the new system, where as last season he was not a fan favourite, and didn't adapt to the old system.

I think Pisi was a victim of the playoff system, and the corresponding scattergun approach to recruitment.

My guess (and its just a guess) is that straight after promotion, Robinson focused on finding "an international fly half", rather than instead targeting a fly half whose skill set aligned with the game plan he intended to play. The result was Pisi being forced into a game that really didn't suit his strengths.

What we are seeing this year is the 'real' Pisi, i think....a well-rounded player, who has no single standout attribute, but is a really useful man at 12 as a secondary kicking option and distributor.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 09:36
Quote:
AlexInSouthville

My guess (and its just a guess) is that straight after promotion, Robinson focused on finding "an international fly half", rather than instead targeting a fly half whose skill set aligned with the game plan he intended to play. The result was Pisi being forced into a game that really didn't suit his strengths.

Think you might have hit the nail on the head there.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

05 December, 2017 14:49
Quote:
SparkyBris
Quote:
AlexInSouthville

Think you might have hit the nail on the head there.

On the flipside, this is also why I have such high hopes for guys like Bedlow, Batley, Ehidoze etc, who were plucked from relative obscurity.

They certainly weren't picked for their profile, but presumably, because they were cherry-picked as absolutely perfect fits for what Pat Lam is trying to do, much more so than other players we could have signed with much more extensive CVs.

Bristapo (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 15:00
What exactly is the NEW system ?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net