rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

C. Piatau Kiwi or Tongan ?
Albertfromla (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 11:26
Just wondering, having played for the Allblacks, when Charles Piatau joins us next season, will he be classed as a New Zeelander or a Tongan ? (His country of birth) If he is a Kiwi he will be classified as "Foreign" Steven Luatua would also fall into this category. If they have dual citizenship, would that class them as Pacific Islander ? Or not.We also have Luke Morahan (Aussie) classed as "foreign " So if they are "foreign " we would only be able to play any two at any one time. This would also make the signing of more Anzacs questionable.There also seems to be a campaign by some international players, to revert to playing for their country of birth, in time for the next World Cup in 2019.

Re: C. Piatau Kiwi or Tongan ?
Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 11:42
Wasn't Toby Flood talking about playing for Germany on the basis of a German grandparent?

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 12:02
Charles Piutua was born in Auckland New Zealand.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 12:09
Tongan same as his brother. In terms of citizenship i think.

05 December, 2017 12:17
Quote:
JamboBris

Charles is a New Zealand citizen by birth as he was born before the laws regarding citizenship changed in 2006

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 13:13
Quote:
JamboBris

He's a Kiwi AFAIK.

Brisman (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 14:41
I couldnít care less if heís a Kiwi, a Tongan, or a Martian! As long as he does the business for us next season, then Iíll be happy!

JamboBris (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 15:57
Quote:
Singapore Sam
Quote:
JamboBris

Charles is a New Zealand citizen by birth as he was born before the laws regarding citizenship changed in 2006

Ahhhh good point!

Albertfromla (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 17:58
Rinks what is a AFAIK? Heard of an ass ache!!! Not AFAIK

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 18:14
As Far As I Know.

Albertfromla (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 09:04
Understand all the posts, but no one has answered my question. Can we field more than 2 Anzacs at any one time? So is there any point in signing more from NZ or Auss

Tiny George (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 09:46
Some of you may recall that during Hillyís time we had several Kiwis and could only play 2 at a time.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 09:57
[www.premiershiprugby.com]

No more than 2 'foreigners' on the pitch at any one time

As we know, Bosman or Kolpak captured players do not count as foreigners.

As for qualifying as Bosman or Kolpak, if i recall, Andrew Merhtens (born in Durban) was able to play on a South African passport for Quins, and therefore, despite being an All Black, was playing here as a Saffer.

I suspect that Piuatu is able to qualify for dual-citizenship, and could therefore play for Bristol as a Tongan national, regardless of where he was born.

07 December, 2017 01:13
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/faqs/
No more than 2 'foreigners' on the pitch at any one time

As we know, Bosman or Kolpak captured players do not count as foreigners.

As for qualifying as Bosman or Kolpak, if i recall, Andrew Merhtens (born in Durban) was able to play on a South African passport for Quins, and therefore, despite being an All Black, was playing here as a Saffer.

I suspect that Piuatu is able to qualify for dual-citizenship, and could therefore play for Bristol as a Tongan national, regardless of where he was born.

Which could all mean nothing after Brexit!

Platwell House (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 07:36
Regarding Brexit and foreign sportsman I should imagine anyone in the UK pre March 29th 2019 will have right to remain, it will be the same with football.

Peter D (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 09:28
Quote:
Platwell House
Regarding Brexit and foreign sportsman I should imagine anyone in the UK pre March 29th 2019 will have right to remain, it will be the same with football.

Indeed, but at the moment we have to imagine it as nothing at all is actually agreed yet.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 09:48
If the government has given any actual thought as to the status of professional sportspeople in post-Brexit utopia it will be the only area they have given thought to.

Peter D (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 10:27
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
If the government has given any actual thought as to the status of professional sportspeople in post-Brexit utopia it will be the only area they have given thought to.

+1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net