rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rugby Pod with James Haskel
crashbang12 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 14:36
So Big Jim and Goodie had James Haskel on the Pod this week (if you don't listen you should) and they were discussing they heard he's joining Bristol next season, he didn't say no and just said he's out of contract. Would he be a good signing, we do have quite alot of backrow at the mo.

Re: Rugby Pod with James Haskel
Earlsbris (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 15:59
Back row is one of the places where we are well stocked and would not be my first priority, but Haskell could be a good addition - a back row of Haskell, Thomas & Luatua would be pretty formidable.

70 odd caps, experience of playing in NZ, France & Japan, premiership and HC winning experience surely a bonus to go with the youngsters we are looking to develop

youngone (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:09
Seems a pretty big personality from the Lions DVDs I have seen, I guess he would be a good person to have in your squad/replacement for crane maybe? I personally worry that Haskell fits the bill of someone who may not be offered a very lucrative offer by a prem club at this point in his career but may well see us as a good opportunity for a good pay out.

Do love a bit of transfer speculation though, regardless of who it is if I'm honest,

Rich. (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:48
Oh no! Can't believe that. Due to his red cap (& the fact I think he's not as good as some/he thinks) I keep an eye out for him when watching Wasps play and he really these days adds next to nothing. He meanders from set piece to set piece, leans into rucks, misses tackles and passes forwards: he got away with a needless forward pass at the weekend in the lead up to their winning try (i.e. it was just poor skill). He had a good season for England 18 months ago but since then diddly squat.

PL wants skillful, quick back row players and that certainly counts Haskell out

AGS (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 18:31
I agree. Haskell seems to look increasingly laboured these days, and more of a gym bunny. I cannot see him fitting into the PL mould or being able to pass the necessary fitness tests for our style of play. Would rather retain Olly Robinson and save a few quid.

JimboFB (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 20:04
I’m not really sure what he is as a player as not mobile enough for the back row. Not big enough for 8 or 6, not quick enough for 7. Think his best days are a few years behind him ala Ryan Jones.

We’d do little to encourage academy leavers to join us if we parachute ‘past their best’ types in instead. Certainly no longevity in that.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:21
Not big enough for 6 or 8?!? seriously? Haskell has the physical ability to play anywhere in the back row (he's not slow either). The bit of him that's lacking is the top two inches.
He'll be off to france without England knocking. He's not going to deny being linked with us as it's part of his bargaining tool.
I like him, he strikes me as a thoroughly likeable bloke and people take him the wrong way. I don't think he has too much to offer us considering what we already have though.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 23:24
He's a smart guy who seems likeable, not sure he's been the same since injury unfortunately.

Can't see what he would add to our squad. Pass.

Rich. (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 07:02
When I say not quick what I mean is he's rarely first to a break down in real open play and can be seen just above jogging to most, so it's more about the stamina to be quick as much as is required. But yes FM the top two inches problem is something I forgot to add to my list.

Now Gaskell on the other hand (Waps 2nd row) looks exactly the type of player we need

happyH (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 07:51
I would rather have a Thomas Waldron style no8
Can’t remember when we last had a yard breaking no8 since DWS
I’m assuming Lautua is down as a 6!!
Cmon Brisss

BigO (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 07:52
Not sure he's got the personality, fitness or skills to fit Pat's vision. Stranger things have happened though.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 08:38
As much as I am a fan of James Haskell, I don't see this as anymore than rumourmongering.

Why would we sign him? He doesn't fit the recruitment model really and we already have a wealth of talent and future talent in the back row.

Other positions are more critical methinks.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 10:17
At his best he Haskel was a very good player, but those games were some time ago and he has never been consistent or had the consistency I would expect. As Rich said he had a purple patch under Jones but over his career he had done so many dumb things I really hope he is no where near Bris. Also I really hope our days of signing "names" who are well past their best is well behind us.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 21:27
I heard this pod too (very good listen) and it did sound like he’s already signed- at best he was keeping options open. Initially I was disappointed as I agree he’s not a great ball player and is past his very best. After some thought though, I think he’d be very good- clearly a top bloke and fun guy in the squad but also has so much experience and would be around all year - I’m sure he won’t get back in the England squad.
He may not be a starter every week (although he was a lion this year) but for all-round big-game experience and someone who can bring the youth on and add his big “mayor of Chatmandu” (actual quote) banter, I reckon he’d be a top addition!

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 22:14
I do hope not

BigO (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 08:36
Worth a listen, just for the comedy of it. He's on from about 20 mins in.

[www.therugbypod.com]

To me it doesn't sound like Haskell's even close to coming here. Bristol just thrown in by Hamilton to create some chatter - he seems totally obsessed by money - and the fact that our owner has some makes us a bit of an easy target for him to talk about.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 11:03
I think SteveL, JordanC, and JackL have more than enough experience in the back row, please no more of this as a reason to sign players past there best! Its time SL money is payed for performance, which to be far so far the big names Pat has signed are doing.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Field marshall (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 10:33
It seems that Haskell hasn't signed anything yet. Cunning stunts makes a good point, Haskell seems like a good clubman, and with all of his experience (NZ, Japan, france, Eng, Lions) certainly has something to offer. Teams need "glue" players as much as anything else.

Rich. (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 11:15
It's funny 'cos I see him as a self-publicising, false, biggin' himself up pain who has a manager (presumably) who ensures his face appears on as many photos in the media as possible and he is quoted as much as possible (far in excess of how important he has ever been to England or Wasps). But certainly Gats spoke abut him as if he'd be good for the tour - maybe he believed the hype or maybe it's true.

One thing though, I remember my school coach advising me to wear brightly coloured socks to a county trial to ensure I stood out and Haskell wears his red scrum cap to stand out (he says it's so his Gran can see him on telly but .....) - thing is that works if you are playing well but if you are doing very little or making errors then that is also more noticeable. I'd advise him to stop wearing it now.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 14:06
I think he’d Be better at B4rf , ‘cause I’m with Rich’s view of Mr H

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net