too old

Re: John Afoa
thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:07
Only just at his peak for a prop at 34.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:12
I disagree a modern prop should be more than a Scrummager who leans on rucks and jogs to the next scrum. How many modern props over 33 haven't seen better days

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:16
Unfortunately we have some props who don't manage the scrummaging bit all that well.

Olly (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:22
Iím open minded but agree the modern game is quicker and requires all players to do much more than just amble around the pitch and provide a bit of bulk and muscle here and there. That said we desperately need experience at the front.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 17:37
Very concerned about age plus I haven't been overly impressed from what I've seen of him this season (one moment aside). Val Ruskin at Glaws (previously Wuss) would be a far better choice IMHO.

We have Tiny who is only a shade older and fills that experienced role. Also wondering how much Afoa is asking for as well after previously being the highest paid premiership player. If he comes here I'm sure he'll do the job at the very least but can't help but think the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 17:45
Yes but Tiny is a loose head. Afoa is tight so can rotate with Cortes. If it's s choice between Afoa or no one it makes sense we get him on board!

EC Boy (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 17:47
Doesn't it depend how much he costs, S1888? Surely he wouldn't be a marquee signing at his age?

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 17:49
He will come at a price, quality Tight heads will but we can't be undone next year by a creaking scrum. No matter what anyone says, survival is the aim and then build. Anything more and I will be a very happy man.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 18:01
Quote:
Rinkadink
Val Ruskin at Glaws (previously Wuss) would be a far better choice IMHO.

Ruskin is only just into a contract so wasnít a choice to be made.

This is the issue, we are selecting from among those people who;
- are coming out of contract
- are willing to forgo any hope of winning anything in next 3 years
- are willing to move to Bristol over London or Sout of France

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 18:07
Exactly Alex nail on head. Unless someone in the know turns around and says we could have signed x but chose Afoa instead, I will stand by the clubs choices.

Paulie (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 18:28
If he can come in and do a job for a couple of years and mentor the young props like Dawe and Giltrow then I don't have a problem with the age. I would imagine that the latter would play some part in PLs thinking given he's so big on the culture of the club.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
26 December, 2017 12:26
How about Moray Low at Exeter, his contract expires this coming March.
Experienced, born 1986, doesn't seem to get much game time at Exe, would suit for a couple of years.

Furnessman (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 13:33
I hear that Ellis Genge is a goodish prop?

Platwell House (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:35
Quote:
Furnessman
Unfortunately if he did come back you would not get the Ellis Genge Leicester have.
Genge on the Rugby Tonight programme in the review of year was amazing. A force of nature!

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 18:36
Quote:
Platwell House
Quote:
Furnessman
Unfortunately if he did come back you would not get the Ellis Genge Leicester have.

Why not?

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 18:49
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
Platwell House
Quote:
Furnessman

Why not?

Presumably the off-field reasons, specific to living in Bristol, that were alluded to when he left.....and the startling uplift in his form once those off-field reasons were no longer a factor

Brizzlonian (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 01:44
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
Platwell House
Quote:
Furnessman

Why not?

Presumably the off-field reasons, specific to living in Bristol, that were alluded to when he left.....and the startling uplift in his form once those off-field reasons were no longer a factor

Well, if the rumours are to be believed, those specific problems are no longer in Bristol!

Paulie (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 12:18
Why would he come back? He's playing Champions Cup rugby, broken into the England squad, keeps popping up on TV. Yes he's from Bristol but until we establish our self in the EP I don't know what the appeal would be at this moment in time. In a few years in PLs plan is taking fruition then fine, but then another local guy may have come through and we won't need him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net