rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Ian Madigan
Platwell House (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 23:43
Super impressed with Madigan tonight, his vision was amazing and his kicking was inch perfect

Re: Ian Madigan
inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 23:54
He was class tonight. The midfield and backs are really coming together; presumably the result of Reihana's skills coaching.

robtheh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 00:17
Madigan was very very good.
But I have to say that I would not have given him MoM.
Sam Jeffries was absolutely superb.
Did everything spot on.
Hit rucks, smashed people in the tackle, fiercely contested lineout ball, got into their mauls to spoil...he was MoM by a long chalk tonight for my money.

T J (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 01:30
Will admit that tonight was the first game Iíve seen live for a couple of months so apologies if this is overly negative, but we remain a long long way from being a Prem team.

We turned a lot of ball over and lost a lot of ball at rucks / mauls. As a collective unit our defence also still looks weak.

To my mind if we were playing a Prem team tonight we would have had 50+ points put on us.

We seem to be walking the division, but hope we donít make the same mistakes if we go up in thinking the current squad is good enough to keep us up, as quite simply, they arenít.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 01:59
Defence was only weak on mauls and around rucks.

Pirates scoring from 3rd phase ball after two in about a minute was awful as it was disrupted and slow so no idea how they managed it. Does this area fall under Bakes' remit?

Platwell House (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 07:55
It does fall under Bakes remit. I think his contract is up for renewal at the end of the season. I personally think he will go but until then he has to coach out the mistakes.

Back to the premise of the post, Ian can only get better I believe now he is settled into life in Bristol and the coaching systems.

St Just Man 1 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 08:15
We beat you in Hard end your backs are the best in the league and it told. You need to get better st the hard end though but your home and dry in all honesty!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 08:39
His contribution to the morahan try was unbelievable.....dealing with a ball around his ankles, took about 0.5 seconds to identify the best option that few others would have seen, and executed perfectly.

bris_rob (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 09:21
Our defence continues to improve and I thought it went really well tonight. There were very few line breaks by Pirates. They only looks dangerous from attacking line-outs Ė and these are notoriously difficult to defend for any team if the maul is set up correctly.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the performance but I agree that the Premiership will be another level completely but I am confident that we'll continue to improve. Recruitment in the new year will be a key factor as (if we win promotion) we need to be ready this time!

C'mon Bris!

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 13:53
Ian Madigan was obviously enjoying himself last night and his kick for Morahan's try was, as Alex stated above, unbelievably good considering the pass he picked up. However, he lost us the ball at least three times in the second half by trying to beat an advancing defence by chipping over the top. He was treating like a Baa Baa's game by then - he'll need to tighten up next season.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:18
Imagine how much better he'll be when we get a decent scrum half

Rich. (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 12:31
Quote:
Standardprocedure

?? Rhodri (his usual partner) is great

robtheh (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:00
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
Standardprocedure

?? Rhodri (his usual partner) is great

Maybe so (not that great in my opinion) but heís off at seasonís end in any case.
We need an absolutely top drawer 9.
Someone has mentioned Joe Simpson; would fit the bill in my view.

Purpendicular (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 17:32
I can't believe there are 37 posts about (our 3rd team) losing to Leinster but less than a third of the number of posts after a scintillating display against a good side on Friday.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 19:00
Rhodrinis distinctly average. He got barged down twice in quick succession on Friday and his service will hardly set speed records.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:13
To be far SP, most of the players has spells when they made mistakes, there was a ten minute spell when Madigan made a number of consecutive mistakes as well, but he got MoM. I think I'd have gone for Dan Thomas or AL myself, but there were plenty like Madigan that looked good going forward, especially the way he plays so flat to the gain line makes the most of PL's game plan.

In general Rhodri plays to his strength, and he is a top notch running SH, and while he plays with urgency his service can be a little slower than I'd like at time, especially a box kick that I think is his main weakness. But his service is not as slow as some of the so call top level experienced SH we have had recently that play with no urgency and put the FH under too much pressure. Even Rhys Webb gets charged down quite a lot, and I'm not sure Simpson's (who many have touted as a top replacement) service it that much better, but another great runner.

It will be interesting to see who we bring in. From a historical note I'd I have thought Martin Robert's skills would have fitted the PL passing game plan, and with Madigan playing so flat the extra time provided by such speed and accuracy of passing would be a real asset.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net