rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Sky commentary
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 13:38
So I've watched 10 minutes and Dewi has said we didn't deserve to win in Penzance (strangely he didn't say that to Lam), Pat looks at us and doesn't see a premiership squad.

Will be watching back in bits today but can anyone who's seen the TV coverage give any insight as to what else was said?

Re: Sky commentary
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 13:43
Dewi doing his nut over a "forward pass... a yard forward not even flat". Seen loads of those given and IIRC Pirates got away with similar for at least one or theirs so will be interesting to see if they make such a fuss then.

*edit* Equally "forward" pass from Pirates and no comment from him. Ref consistent which is good regardless of pirates bit capitalising properly from it. That's on them not the ref.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 13:48 by Rinkadink.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 13:57
They're irrelevant but nevertheless annoying.

Rich. (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 14:10
Usual rubbish. Jonny Hammond (or wherever he called) with a permanent crescendo in his voice and generally recanting facts and stories with the occasional lapse into commentating on what is going on in front of him on the pitch + minutes spent moaning about tackle by Leiua which they thought was no arms (which wasn't the case as confirmed by the TMO quickly) + the usual clichés from Dewi. Good to see Nick Robinson as a voice of sanity at half and full time.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:09
Discussing the tackle which kicked off a bit of a ruckus at minute 52; Morris says one moment 'it's a no arms tackle and he was in the air.'.

Next minute when it's been replayed a couple of times he's saying 'he's gone in with his arm (in a no arms tackle?) and his shoulder (like there's something wrong with that) and he's in the air - should be yellow'.

I've reviewed it over and again.

a) he wasn't in the air his foot was on the ground and b) he wrapped his arm and it wasn't a swinging arm - the arm was at waist height.

They were right when they said it should have been reviewed. If it had been, a Pirates player would have been carded for retaliation after a tough but fair tackle.

I'll admit that when I watched it live I thought it was a red for sure but having reviewed it (as they did) I can see it was fine and so should they have.

Very poor commentary.

Furriner (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:00
There’s something wrong with Dewi. He’s so anti Bris he’s hilarious. Continually gets his calls wrong because he’s falling over himself trying to stick the boot in. I don’t understand why Sky retains his services. Sanderson in contrast has learned to temper his comments. He thinks before he speaks. The other bloke - the rambling one - is presumably Dewi’s grandad who’s only there because it’s Dewi’s turn to look after him that evening.

Roll on BT Sport commentaries.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:43
The ref waved away Pirates' protests about that tackle saying it was right in front of him and he was perfectly happy with it. He also said before the game that he wasn't going to use the TMO unless he had to. The officials obviously knew that and I guess the teams will have been briefed also.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 18:21
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
They're irrelevant but nevertheless annoying.

Well I think it has an effect on public (and occasionally professional) perception and is crucial in our profile so for getting a fair shake is important. That's all I ask as I don't think we've been given that very often.

Anyway after a delay I'm back to watching some and couldn't believe Sanderson enjoying Bristol, praising the second try to high heavens and saying if it was forward (I'm not convinced it was) that he's glad it wasn't called. Dewi sounds apoplectic by contrast. Even if it was forward I think we were badly done to prior with Pisi in the corner and it warranted a TMO referral.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 18:24
I wouldn't listen to Dewi. There is a reason he is not on BT Sport.

Rich. (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 19:36
You can hear from the TV coverage that, as play continued with our attack, he asked the TMO to check it and then, after the ruckus ended he told the Pirates captain that the TMO had got back to him and she said it was OK

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:20
Dewi's meltdown over a perfectly legal tackle and what should have been a card to Pirates player who came running in with an arm well after play moved on was embarrassing for Sky. Dewi screaming at the time (you can hear from the moment it happens he wants Bristol blood) would be comical if not for aforementioned perception. He was too busy exploding to realise the ref had said, "Can you check that for me please?" and he'd received word back it was fine as he informed the pirates 12 shortly after. Who by the way was the reason Pirates scored their second via a blatant obstruction.

Players feet were in contact with the ground, both arms used. Textbook example of how to tackle hard, fairly and legally.

https://i.imgur.com/henrqQS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/AgTmQoL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/zMkW7y5_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 22:21 by Rinkadink.

robtheh (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:51
It’s bizarre; when we were in the Prem under Hill, Dewi Morris was really complimentary about us, when we were on Sky.
Now he seemingly hates us!

Jimeno (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 06:40
Great post Rinkadink. A picture paints a thousand words and all that.

Tiny George (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 10:05
Just goes to show the fine line between a perfectly timed tackle and an unlawful one. Ref got this one spot on.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 10:09
A lot of bitterness coming from those who want to see us lose. None have noted the terrible call on the quick line out which was reversed and led to a pirates try (which evens out the first bristol try with the forward pass). It was as straight as a die. Considering how outclassed the pirates back were, they were lucky that the score wasn't even worse. The tackle was spot on, no informed rugby fan would claim any different.

Having said that, our lack of ability to defend basic, predictable 8 man rugby was/is embarrassing. I do wonder is a fresh influence coaching the pack might be a good thing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 10:17 by Field marshall.

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 10:43
what made the tackle look worse was that the Pirate player had one foot in the air and his centre of balance at the back so he his legs went straight up, making it look like a high tackle.

Earlsbris (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 10:52
I realise that sky are selling a ‘story’ of the plucky underdog v mighty big spenders Bristol but Dewi really has an axe to grind! Have grown to dislike Sandersons commentary after the last few years of playoff but he was actually pretty fair. In all the years of champ rugby we usually do just enough to scrape a win - it was good to watch us ahsoloutely smoke another team, even if I am worried about this harem scarem brand of rugby!

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 11:02
I'd really like to see us 'nil' a side. The reason, hem hem, I'm top of the prediction league is (and giving a tip here) I can always predict the opposition scoring a few tries. And I shouldn't really be able to do that.

shhandy (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 11:48
Look at the match from other than us purists point of view and the open, high scoring harem scarem type of rugby is what gets the crowd going and puts new bums on seats. That was a great shop window for those there for the first time, or occasionals and the sky audience. Come and be entertained watching Bristol is a great message - a forwards dominated mudbath might keep the the Brian Moores amongst us cheering, but not a lot of others.

PS - loved the Ian Madigan take down of the miscogynist poster. MIght teach him to moderate his views, or more likely take a note who is posting reply.👍

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 13:49
[quote shhandy]Look at the match from other than us purists point of view and the open, high scoring harem scarem type of rugby is what gets the crowd going and puts new bums on seats. That was a great shop window for those there for the first time, or occasionals and the sky audience. Come and be entertained watching Bristol is a great message - a forwards dominated mudbath might keep the the Brian Moores amongst us cheering, but not a lot of others.

Well said shhandy. Sport is supposed to be about entertainment at the end of the day]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 13:50 by Prop Joe.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net