rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Sky commentary
TimothyQ (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 15:12
There was nothing wrong with that tackle, but the rest of the comments from the commentators were pretty accurate IMO. If we play like that next year (providing we get promoted), we will get absolutely tanked. I can't see how any of the flaws in our pack have been rectified, and the class players we do have are developing very poor habits.

I don't live in the area so I can't get too many matches, (only been to a couple of away games this year), is this a normal performance from us? If so, we need a lot of recruitment.

1908 (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 23:12
Sport...especially professional rugby...is about winning. That's why we keep the score.

If it is entertaining that is a bonus.

Seasons Greeting to all you Bristol fans.

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 00:08
Quote:
Sport...especially professional rugby...is about winning. That's why we keep the score.
If it is entertaining that is a bonus.

Seasons Greeting to all you Bristol fans.

We did win

Furnessman (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 13:36
used to stick up for him but got to say Dewi Morris is useless, sky need to get rid of him
certainly anti Bristol someone has upset him

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 13:59
Quote:
Furnessman
used to stick up for him but got to say Dewi Morris is useless, sky need to get rid of him
certainly anti Bristol someone has upset him

Weirdest part was Sanderson being very amicable, balanced and full of praise for Bristol.

Think I needed to lie down after that shock.

chuckynut (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 14:24
Quote:
TimothyQ
There was nothing wrong with that tackle, but the rest of the comments from the commentators were pretty accurate IMO. If we play like that next year (providing we get promoted), we will get absolutely tanked. I can't see how any of the flaws in our pack have been rectified, and the class players we do have are developing very poor habits.
I don't live in the area so I can't get too many matches, (only been to a couple of away games this year), is this a normal performance from us? If so, we need a lot of recruitment.

Think that's overly negative. We have been in control for the vast majority of pretty much every game and have scored a lot of tries. You can only play what's in front of you and I can't see us getting less than 5 points in any of the remaining games if we continue to play as we are, if we achieved that it would be impressive. Bear in mind also that on Friday we were missing our best player.

Last season we had no real plan in attack (nor for that matter in the season before last). This year, the backs have looked menacing from first and second phase ball. There is more structure and intelligence with how we attack, with forwards being used in the wide channels and interplaying with backs rather than boshing it up the middle. 1-15 are being used (e.g. Tonga had an excellent game in the lose on Friday). Some of the angles of running (backs and forward) and handling has been truly excellent and will also cause better defences trouble.

I'm sure we are looking for a ball carrying second row or 2 and some additional front row but this season we have seen the makings of a decent pack emerge - Jeffries, Vui, Lam, Joyce, Thomas have all come on well, Crane has played solidly and Luatua is a class act. The line outs have been more accurate and more inventive than last season. We are using the forwards a lot more intelligently in attack.

The one area I'm not sure about is defence. We still cough up soft tries and have multiple lapses in concentration. I guess it's hard to keep the intensity when you think the game is safe already but still it seems below the level it should be at.

So in my view, there is some way to go but it all seems a lot more solid than it has for a few seasons and you can see a structure to how they want to play and progress. Hopefully that's a good enough platform to build on, Rome wasn't built in a day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/12/2017 14:28 by chuckynut.

hooter (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 15:48
I think at the end of this season we will be at a completely different level to where we where when we lost the second leg of the play off final to Doncaster the last time we were promoted.

NearAshtonGate (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 17:01
Interesting stat concerning defence. We have only conceded 1 try fewer after 12 games than at the same stage when we were last in the Championship. We know that defence wasn't good enough the following season so there remains a lot to do.

Olly (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 16:20
Quote:
NearAshtonGate
Interesting stat concerning defence. We have only conceded 1 try fewer after 12 games than at the same stage when we were last in the Championship. We know that defence wasn't good enough the following season so there remains a lot to do.

So how do the rest of the stats face up?? Points for,against, bonus points etc?

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:47
There are no words to describe how poor the commentary on SKY is .....

28 December, 2017 20:52
Quote:
Olly
Quote:
NearAshtonGate

OK - current season figures first:

Points for: 526 408
Points against: 235 254
Tries for: 71 50
Tries against: 33 34
Bonus points for: 11 9
Bonus points against: 4 7

And attendance figures:
Home (7 games both seasons): 55310 46593
Away : 10686 7738

robtheh (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 21:12
Quote:
NearAshtonGate
Quote:
Olly
Quote:
NearAshtonGate

And attendance figures:

1) great work
2) great stats!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2017 21:14 by robtheh.

Olly (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 03:55
Very Interesting stats and as far as I can see Everything is showing signs of improvement but defence needs a lot of work before we can really say we are premiership ready. Hopefully if the players we have cannot make it perhaps a few inbound players will sharpen that up.
Thanks for taking the time and effort putting the figures together NearAshtonGate.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Furriner (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 09:02
Yes, thanks NearAG. Out of interest, where did you glean the stats from?

I’ve often wondered why Bris doesn’t let Neil Williams (‘Stato’) publish info regularly. Many of us would like that. (I’m pleased that we do now get decent info on why players haven’t featured in the squad. It takes some of the uncertainty out of following players’ progress.)

29 December, 2017 11:58
Quote:
Furriner
Yes, thanks NearAG. Out of interest, where did you glean the stats from?

I'm a bit of a nerd - I recorded details of games during the season before last and have done so again this season.

Peter D (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:19
Neil Williams tweets loads off stats very frequently. Agree, though, that a stats' round up on the offy would be nice.

bris_rob (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 12:50
Quote:
NearAshtonGate
Quote:
Olly
Quote:
NearAshtonGate

And attendance figures:

Not forgetting that we had also lost 2 home games in those first 12 matches as well.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 10:19
Great stats NAG, but I'm not too sure how meaningful that comparison is as we were pretty poor in that season given our budgets, and how poor the champ was that year. IMHO we were much better team the year before when Wuss gave us some real competition, and we never totally recovered from that loss to Wuss in the play-off. This season is another poor Champ, and our budget has increased massively again.

TimQ makes good points
Quote:
I can't see how any of the flaws in our pack have been rectified, and the class players we do have are developing very poor habits.
The point about bad habits is something that happened a lot during our long last spell in the champ, something that was key to our failure last season.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 10:57
I'm not sure what the bad habits are but I've yet to see us dominate a forwards game this season and that does not bode well.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:06
Not putting in a full 80 mins effort/concentration would be the most common HS, as many of our players are so much better than the opposition.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net