rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: Richmond v Bristol
youngone (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:52
at least that's one point gained today over ealing.

Hopefully the whole unit will see the points against today as a massive point of concern moving forward!

bofb (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:32
Poor first half and not helped by some missed knock ons and forward passes by officials. Different game in the second half. Tempo much quicker and defence better. Richmond nilled in the second half says it all. Great passages of play between the backs.

airdog (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:23
it was certainly a game of 2 halfs biggest shock was Ian Madigan missing a conversion , he got the other 7 though .

Peter D (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:31
Sheedy got the last one, but a fine kicking display from Madigan.

Earlsbris (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:09
Always love a trip to Richmond - old school ‘proper’ rugby club at its best. We were ragged and disjointed in the first half and Richmond really went for it to the extent that they looked spent at half time. Some brilliant play in the second half and v good scores. Looked like there were 2 x Luatuas playing at some points

Ozjow (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 07:58
Very much the game of two halves. First half we lacked intensity and never really got going. Richmond had a lot of joy hitting up around the fringes and we were much too passive. Credit to Richmond though, they came to play, and they did and took their tries well. The Bristol tries were also well taken, but not ones we had to work for or really go through the phases. The third try (Williams' second) seemed almost all too easy.

We started the second half very strongly and blew them away those first 15 minutes or so with pace, some very powerful running and stretching the play which proved too much for Richmond. At half time that was very much the second half we were hoping for.

Other observations

- Excellent kicking from Madigan. Both from the tee and in the first half from hand. Sat in the stand we were well protected from the elements but the wind was a factor and the Richmond kicker certainly struggled.
- Strong line out defence, Joyce and Jeffries putting them under a lot of pressure and stealing/disrupting a lot of ball.
- Conceded the penalty at the first scrum but after that it seemed even / just a form of getting the ball back into play.
- Crane appeared to be very vocal in the huddles after the Richmond and Bristol tries in the first half.
- Last week Richmond conceded 40 points to Ealing in the first half before nilling them in the second and scoring 4 tries themselves. This wasn't quite the mirror of that game but some similarities nonetheless.
- Great turnout by the Bristol fans

tbr (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:05
Quote:
Earlsbris
Always love a trip to Richmond - old school ‘proper’ rugby club at its best.

As do I. But the RAG seemed far more prepared the last time I went (to see us play Scottish) with extra food stalls and bar shacks etc. I was really disappointed by the lack of anything like that yesterday. Even the main bar (compared to last time) was a shambles I thought.

Quote:
Earlbris
We were ragged and disjointed in the first half and Richmond really went for it to the extent that they looked spent at half time.

Again you sound more positive than me.
I thought that we were absolutely shocking in the first half.
We had a hooly of a wind helping us but instead of playing sensible, professional rugby and exploiting that wind by kicking into the ACRES of space in the far corner (as looking from the RAG Grandstand) of their half... we again tried to play a weird sort of champagne rugby as individuals rather than a team.
That's why we didn't score 30 points in the first half (combined with stoic, heroic defence at times from Richmond).
The reason we let Richmond score 4 tries before the break escapes me I'm afraid.
We are professional rugby players with a creaky set-piece, we're missing tackles and we're making other teams make the game look easy again, I'm afraid. Or at least we were for 40 minutes yesterday.
I've watched us do that too many times and heard the old chestnut that "it's the other team's (that we're playing) cup final" now to care to still watch and hear that.
To go in outscored (in terms of tries) with that wind behind us and those players playing for us, embarrassed me and many around me.
Richmond fans were happy to tell us at half time that whilst we had better individuals... they had a better team... and at half time that was difficult to dispute to be honest.
Pat Lam was clearly frustrated too and it was good to hear in his post-match interview, that sure, we'd just had Christmas etc, but we wouldn't just rock up to somewhere like Richmond on the day of the match from now on perhaps. We'd get there the night before and ensure our bodies and heads would be on the park come 3pm, rather than still in the car park. (I've paraphrased him somewhat).
That all said, Richmond played very well indeed for 40 minutes and DID make us look anything BUT a Premiership-team-in-waiting. Fair play to them and their (always knowledgeable and hospitable) fans.

Quote:
Earlbris
Some brilliant play in the second half and v good scores. Looked like there were 2 x Luatuas playing at some points

Agreed. At last! And I thought Williams (Jordan) was wonderful to watch at times yesterday!

I think I'll return to the RAG to see us play Scottish in a few weeks time... and I'll expect better from the RAG (in terms of food/drink etc) and a full 80 minutes of professional rugby from us instead of the 40 served up yesterday.

airdog (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:57
if you are right Peter then both the BBC and TRP have got it wrong as they both give all 7 to Madigan .
I must admit by then I was not taking much notice of the kicker just assumed it was Ian as he saw out the game but you could be right , certainly the BBC are not the most reliable of sources .

Peter D (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:58
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was Sheedy.

The_Boy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 13:29
Definitely Sheedy. Was right in front of us. Great 2nd half performance. Love going down the RAG as well. Always feels like a proper old school ground and clubhouse.

Bristol Bald Eagle (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:03
Great day out, Richmond team and their supporters friendly hospitality was superb, hope they had a profitable day from our invasion.

Second half was something else, I know JW got a hat trick, but Joe Joyce was my MOM and looked back to his very best.

Happy New Year

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net