best bit of reporting they've ever done

Re: Bristol in The Mail
Peter D (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:16
Yes, just read it - felt dirty.

gran (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:34
Our boys could not have realised the reporter was from the Mail. It's a clear case of pretense on the reporters part and the Mail should be reported to the press complaints commission.

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:56
To be honest - it's not an article but a list of quotes! Hardly a news article!!!!

RJC (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:13
I would love to know the quality of players who are flooding PLís inbox.

Positive signs from Luatua as well, I think he will become an all time Bristol great.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:25
Quote:
Bristol-Supporter
To be honest - it's not an article but a list of quotes! Hardly a news article!!!!

You're right it's not news but its great publicity for our club.

Whagwan (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:11
Can anyone copy and paste? Can't bring myself to give them the clicks...

dpw (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:59
Copied & pasted from the D.M.

"The sleeping giants of English rugby are poised to wake up in 2018.

Bristol are marching towards promotion with 13 wins from 13, bankrolled by billionaire Steve Lansdown.

The Mail on Sunday went behind the scenes with coach Pat Lam, lock Joe Joyce and All Black recruit Steven Luatua to discover their grand plan for the West Country club.

Lam: Can Bristol win the Premiership? Without a doubt. People talk about getting promoted and surviving, but thatís the wrong mentality. Our minimum goal is to finish in the top six and qualify for the Champions Cup.

This club was one of the giants of English rugby in the Seventies and Eighties. Itís been sleeping but thereís no reason we canít become a giant again.

Joyce: I grew up around here and Iím bored of seeing Bath, Gloucester and Exeter fly the flag. It could be a massive year for Bristolian sport. I was at Ashton Gate to see City beat Manchester United.

The football team are second in the Championship and Iíll be a happy man if we both go up.

Luatua: Pat told me his vision of inspiring a community through rugby success. I wanted to be a part of that. Knowing Pat is here is a big factor for us Polynesian boys. When I was looking to leave New Zealand, Bristol was the best fit.

Giving up the All Blacks jersey, especially ahead of the Lions tour, was the hardest part. I do have ambitions to play at a World Cup, Maybe in 2023Ö

Lam: Every day my laptop is buzzing with emails offering us this player and that player.

We want guys who fit into a five-year plan and who will improve young Bristolians in the academy. There are guys in our academy who will be playing for England at the 2023 World Cup.

Luatua: When I found Bristol were in the second division, I prepared for the worst. I was expecting to play in front of small crowds on pitches that arenít taken care of.

It has been better than I expected. Playing in some of these little towns has been humbling.

My first away game was at Cornish Pirates. Iíd gone from Eden Park to Ashton Gate to a field with no stands and an old school changing room.

Early on, I would always see a few guys lining me up. I got smoked a couple of times but itís all legit. Itís not about one player.
Joyce: Itís all changed since Pat arrived this season. It feels like Iíve joined a new club. Weíve got nutritionist, a new training ground being built, everything to be a top club.

When I joined the club aged 14, we were short of cash and were given one unbranded T-shirt. Now the young guys get heaps of kit and go on tour. There are no excuses.

Weíve lost a few local lads like Mitch Eadie, Ellis Genge and Chris Brooker so Iíve become the guy who tells everyone where to eat, where to get a house, even the place for the best firewood.

I have also taken charge of our team song: Blackbird by The Wurzels! Itís surreal seeing all the Island boys singing it.

We didnít get to sing it much last season, when we were losing a lot. Now weíre singing it every week.

Luatua: We try to share our culture. A couple of months back, when I was living at Siale Piutauís house, we had young Daniel Thomas round for dinner and cooked him chop suey, taro, corned beef ó hearty Island foods.

Lam: Itís about culture and relationships. I donít worry about the things I canít control. I do my work, make a plan and crack on.

People smirk when I say Bristol should be a Champions Cup team but Saracens only got to where they are now because they started with a vision."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 19:00 by dpw.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 19:31
Some of you are so childish - it reminds me of the lack of debate that now. apparently, takes place at University.

31 December, 2017 19:34
Lighten up HS!

31 December, 2017 19:42
Why?

As soon as the Tegrelaugh or the Male is mentioned on here (the only two daily papers that ever give any decent coverage of Rugby) are mentioned all the wealthy Corbynites come on whinging about them?

It's cliched, repetitive, boring and adds nothing to debate - it's just like people screaming insults with no logical argument.

Happy New Year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 19:54 by Hercules Spoons.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 19:45
I didn't realise that Lee Johnson managed Bristol Rugby (picture fail).....The Daily hate should be avoided, it's socially corrosive, humans and Rugby peeps should divert their eyes.

EC Boy (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 20:03
Quote:
CF_Doom
I didn't realise that Lee Johnson managed Bristol Rugby (picture fail).....The Daily hate should be avoided, it's socially corrosive, humans and Rugby peeps should divert their eyes.

Nailed it. Print media is dying, thank God. I would rather believe social media comments by fellow supporters every day of the week. These days, all the established media does is reflect the prejudice of their dullard 'readers,' often by misrepresenting supporter comments on twitter etc.

Vive le revolution! :-) So Long, Dacre!

robtheh (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 22:51
Quote:
EC Boy
Quote:
CF_Doom

Nailed it. Print media is dying, thank God. I would rather believe social media comments by fellow supporters every day of the week. These days, all the established media does is reflect the prejudice of their dullard 'readers,' often by misrepresenting supporter comments on twitter etc.

Vive le revolution! :-) So Long, Dacre!

Well said

shhandy (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 08:29
A very nasty newspaper with a divisive editorial policy, sadly the pile in my local newsagents exceeds that of the Times. It was a strong supporter of fascism in the 30s. It has a dingy track record.

Not much of an article, a series of lifted quotes, just about all of which could have come from the club website.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 08:45
Sadly it is the most read online newspaper in the world.

I think this is at least partly due to some comely wenches called Cardassian (no idea who they are) who display their (oversized) wares therein on a regular basis.

So I'm told...smiling smiley

Albertfromla (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:23
Can't believe some of the vitriol aimed at what is ONLY A NEWSPAPER If we don't watch out this site will be for political comment, not rugby I've noticed in the past posters making their views known on Brexit Come on let's talk RUGBY NOT POLITICS

01 January, 2018 10:53
Totally agree Albert

Back to the point:
Unfortunately Andy Robinson made some similar statements about not being content with survival in the Prem and aimed to finish in the top six.

Great ambition, I hope we can achieve it but we've a long way to go yet.

01 January, 2018 11:16
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Why?
As soon as the Tegrelaugh or the Male is mentioned on here (the only two daily papers that ever give any decent coverage of Rugby) are mentioned all the wealthy Corbynites come on whinging about them?

It's cliched, repetitive, boring and adds nothing to debate - it's just like people screaming insults with no logical argument.

Happy New Year.

HS - You are joking aren't you? The Daily Mail providing decent coverage of Rugby? Please -don't make me laugh!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net