rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Bristol in The Mail
Field marshall (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:25
It is a terrible paper. But there are lots of them out there; the guardian for example.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:30
If Bris have played Bedford I will look at comments on both message boards (and probably Rolling Maul too) to get different perspectives on the game.

Same applies with politics - I subscribe to the Guardian and the Telegraph on-line. I am happy to look at content in the Mail or the Mirror (and I don't have to pay)

IMO relying on social media for news is a dangerous game. You only tend to follow those who reinforce your own viewpoint, there is no comeback if 'facts' are wrong and you get very little balance to your opinions.

But, back to rugby. The Mail sent a reporter to the club and the club were happy to entertain them, The article will have provided new information to a lot of readers and, as I said before, great publicity. Good on the club and the Mail.

dpw (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:36
The Mail's rugby coverage............

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 14:06
Happy New year everyone... what happened in here?

Olly (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 15:46
I wouldíve thought the more our club is mentioned in any media it would be seen as a good thing. Wasnít that long ago that Bristol rugby club were almost forgotten by the press now we are global news.

The Dominion post.

The NZ Herald

South Africa

Thatís just one player and three articles that put Bristolís name in print on foreign shores of late.
We might not always like certain press but itís always good for the club.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

AGS (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 16:03
Quote:
Olly
I wouldíve thought the more our club is mentioned in any media it would be seen as a good thing. Wasnít that long ago that Bristol rugby club were almost forgotten by the press now we are global news.
The Dominion post.

The NZ Herald

South Africa

Thatís just one player and three articles that put Bristolís name in print on foreign shores of late.

Interesting section from the Dominion Post article "His Bath deal will take him out of consideration for the 2019 World Cup in Paris but he has a loose eye on the following tournament in Paris." Gives an indication of the lac ok of basic checking that goes on before articles get published

Whagwan (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 18:38
Personally I don't think it is childish at all to not want to give advertising revenue to an organisation which cried 'Hurrah for the Blackshirts'. The Mail and their ilk are a massive influence on the fact a serving MP was assassinated last year.

You gonna tell Scousers that they should stop boycotting the Sun as it's childish?

It's not just politics, I disagree vehemently with the Telegraph viewpoint but would have no problems whatsoever reading rugby articles in there.

Ps. Cheers for the C&P dpw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 18:39 by Whagwan.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 22:38
The Mail is a fairly unpleasant rag that - whatever your politics - deals in coarse, simplistic nonsense, and is both hypocritical and bullying.

Mind you, I am heartened to see this article about Bristol and am glad that national newspapers still think we're worth covering. I sent the link to a number of friends of mine.

I don't think those two statements are mutually exclusive.

On a related point sports coverage in the printed press is rubbish compared to what it used to be, which is a shame but frankly inevitable. The daysbof Vhris Hewitt and John Mason are long gone - and I doubt we'll ever see a David Foot again. Steve Cotton was up there with them.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 22:44
Quote:
Olly
The Dominion post.

The NZ Herald

South Africa

In an interesting way these three articles just show how@#$%&print media is.

This isn't interest in Bristol. It's journos cutting and pasting from the Mail.

Imagine striving all that time to become a journalist and then this ending up as your nob.

Olly (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 07:37
Yea I did notice the accidental Baf mistake and wondered how long it would be before it was noticed.
As for the press and certain elements of it. I personally am not a lover of any of them mainly due to the influence a certain person has over national politics and the shoot first, think about it afterwards policies they and others use to gain headlines. The Sun and Liverpool being an example. Now Iím not belittling what happened there but itís sadly a small proportion of the hurt they cause to tens of thousands of people over the years just for the sake of a headline Or two. Huge headline one day and a very small apology buried somewhere out of sight a few days later. Gutter press sums up So many in the industry Iím afraid. Hence why I never have bought a red top.
All that said millions of people worldwide do buy newspapers and whatever we may think of them it can only be good to have our club mentioned in them, on the net and on every other type of media.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

gran (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 20:16
It's gratifying to realise that the significant majority of contributors to this thread share a common distaste for the Daily Mail and all it represents, irrespective of this rare article on Bristol.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:24
Just realised I wrote "nob".

I meant "job".

BigO (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:15
I think the former is a fitting tribute to most of them Big Dave!

First time I've seen PL talk about a five year plan. I'm hoping that means he likes what he sees here and is starting to think beyond his immediate contract.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net