Since 1888 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:31
Updated - Tuohy & McMillan

Re: Lam's Squad Vision
Sit_Down (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 14:07
Quote:
Since 1888
In trying to see where we need to strengthen for next season I thought the following exercise would be useful,
Pats stated aim is to have 4 deep in every position being 1 current international (I'm calling this tier 1&2 international), one experienced Prem player, one Prem player to be (younger version) and academy.
I'm not expecting everyone to agree on positional decisions such as is Jack Lam a 6 or 7 but might be useful to track signings when announced.

Loose Head
1.Lay
2.Y.Thomas
3.Cosgrove
4.Rowland(A)

Tight Head
1.Afoa
2.Faletau?
3.Dawe(A)
4.English(A)

Hooker
2.Thacker/Malton
4.Linney(A)/Freeman(A)/Capon(A)

Lock 1
1.Vui
2.Joyce
3.Batley
4.Ehizode(A)

Lock 2
2.Muldowney
3.Latta
4.Hawkins(A)

Blind Flanker
1.Lam
2.Jefferies
4.Dun(A)

Open Flank
2.Heenan
3.D.Thomas
4.Thurston(A)

No.8
1.Lautua
2.Crane
3.Haining

Scrum Half
2.Stirzaker
3.Uren/Cullen

Fly Half
1.Madigan
3.Sheedy/Eden

Inside Centre
1.Piatau S
2.Hurrell
3.Bedlow(A)
4.Welsh(A)

Outside Centre
2.Tovey
4.Newey(A)/Powell(A)

Wing 1
1.Leiua
2.Edwards
4.Perkins(A)

Wing 2
1.Morahan
4.Chapman(A)/Hargan(A)

Fullback
1.Piatau C
3.Protheroe
4.Hughes

Out of contract
Tongahuia - Bedford?
Lemi
Palamo
Fenton-Wells
Glynn
Nemsadze
Pisi
Wallace
O'Connell
Cortes
Giltrow
Harris Wright
Gendall
Gompels

Known Leavers
R.William - Dragons
J.Willams - Dragons
O.Robinson - Cardiff Blues
B.Searle - Wasps
Crumpton - Quins
Bevington - Dragons
Varndell - Scarlets (Loan)
Tuohy - Released
McMillan - Released

Quite a few gaps so hoping for some quality to come in. Any errors I've made? I'm sure there's lots of comment to be had! Ready, Steady, Go!

I wrote this out myself recently. My only comments (and in no way a criticism!)

Luatua will not play 8. We need to buy in an 8. Leiua will spend more time on the wing. We need to buy in a quality centre. Tovey cannot be classed as an experienced Prem player and is not really capable at that level but may be classed as the 3rd option. Assuming he's fit in time, Protheroe will back up C. Piatau - I wouldn't be bringing in a 3rd FB but would spend the budget on Props!!

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 19:13
All opinions welcome sit down, you might be right about Luatua but I hope not. Leiua I have as a winger and Tovey has to be classed as a no.2 or there is no point retaining him IMO. With the latest releases it would be fair to say I don’t see many if any out of contract players re-signing now so I’m expecting a good 10+ further signings.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 19:19
Quote:
Luatua will not play 8. We need to buy in an 8
As per the other thread, why not and why are you so sure?

LA Angel (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 19:35
Quote:
Field marshall
Quote:

It depends on how and when PL deploys Sam Jeffries.

Sam has all the attributes to be a top class 6, however if he is needed in the second row or if PL thinks he is not ready to be a regular starter (it was only 12 months ago he made his Premiership debut) PL will play Lautau at 6.

08 March, 2018 20:23
Lam plays 6 very well, probably his best position.
The current squad concerns me. Short of quality at loosehead, scrum half and outside centre and the quality of the back up don't look as good as some of those we have released. Thacker will need two very very strong scrummaging props.
At present, I'd probably select
Thomas Y
Thacker (he will be no1 hooker)
Afoa
Vui
Latta/Joyce
Luatua/Lam
Haining/Luatua
Thomas D/Heenan
Stirzaker
Madigan
Morahan
Piutau S
Hurrell
Lieua
Piutau C
Front 5 needs more meat and the midfield is a bit "bosh". This pack would get rinsed by Wuss.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 20:28
I want a top quality lock, 8, 12, and winger personally.

08 March, 2018 20:41
I've liked Haining when he's played. He could do very well. All of our locks need to be locked in a gym and fed pure protein during the off season!
Which of Lieua and Morahan aren't you convinced by?

LA Angel (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 20:55
Quote:
Field marshall
Lam plays 6 very well, probably his best position.

By my reckoning the last time Lam started at 6 was January 2017 in the Challenge cup!

08 March, 2018 20:57
Yeah weird. Even weirder that he stood out at 8 in an international game yet has seldom ever started there for us. I'd love Pat to go get Darren Cave from Ulster. He's currently very out of favour there and unlikely to hit the national squad again. He'd be brilliant for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 22:20 by Field marshall.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 06:48
Quote:
Field marshall
I've liked Haining when he's played. He could do very well. All of our locks need to be locked in a gym and fed pure protein during the off season!
Which of Lieua and Morahan aren't you convinced by?

I like both a lot in fairness. It's more that I prefer Leiua in the centre and would want an absolutely rapid winger in the May/Wade mold to just hang on the shoulder of Piutau and make the most of his breaks and offloads. Morahan is class all round on the other wing. 8 for me personally is a question of experience, been impressed with Haining but our depth there is pretty poor. Would be a lot happier with Haining/another than I am with Haining and Crane.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 07:49
Our backs (excluding 9) will be fine in the Prem it's the forwards that need urgent reinforcements. IMO all the recruitment focus should now be on 1-9. I can't think of one team this season which we have totally dominated in the forwards. On the other hand several teams have been superior to us here and it's been our backs who have won the game for us (before last week). This set of forwards unchanged will ensure we return to the Championship poste haste .

happyH (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 07:54
So as I said on the other thread. What about Copeland from Munster?
No 8 and no word of where he is going?
Thoughts?

Remain worried about hooker

McMillan was our best as scrum much better with him. Personally don't rate Harris Wright
Scrum looks light weight with him yet he is 16.5 stone and Thacker is super light weight at 14.5 stone.
May be good in the loose but at scrum time???

Also backs need up rating
We need a top quality wing and another centre
Scrum half also

Lots of holes here and there

CMON BRISSSSSS

robtheh (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 08:13
Personally think we're going to need a couple more looseheads, maybe another tighthead, a couple of second rows (mix of strong scrummagers and lineout jumpers), a ball-carrying 8, a top drawer 9, cover in the centres, and an out & out winger.

Sit_Down (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 09:08
Quote:
Field marshall
Quote:

I happen to have coached one of the current players until they were 18 - but I should clarify to avoid false representation. Luatua will play 8 in times of need but does not consider himself an 8 and wishes to be considered at 6 first. This is because he still sees a future with the All Blacks but at 6.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 10:28
ealingtrailfinders1stxv.com/news/luke-daniels-piers-o-conor-and-lewis-t

Ealing trio confirmed.

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 11:02
Added Thiede, Daniels and O’Connor although I thought signing club makes the announcement? Welcome to all 3 and to save any argument I have listed all 3 positions as quoted by Ealing in their statement (link on other thread).
Good depth players definately but some more class required to be announced before I and, I expect many others, have this mini dark cloud lifted post Jersey. (Sm108)

airdog (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 11:04
sit down

I note you only registered on this site yesterday and since then have posted a number of lengthy , sensible posts that suggests you have or have had some experience of involvement in professional rugby .
Would you care to tell us a bit more about yourself and were you have been hiding ? if not of course then thats fine but I am sure others are curious .

JamboBris (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 11:11
4 more to be announced at 1pm. Pincus, Lindsay and the two props from Jersey?

youngone (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:35
so the 7 signings today are: o'connor, daniels, thiede, woolmore, armstrong, lindsay and pincus?

Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net