Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: Lam's Squad Vision
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:04
Quote:
flatpat
Seen this?
[www.bristolrugby.co.uk]

That's really interesting; I thought Edwards was out of contract but seems he's staying which is good as he's proven in the prem.

Would like to see Pisi given at least another year as above too.

T J (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:28
Think we can take it as gospel now that Searle is off,

In my view weíre still short of a 2nd row enforcer in the Gareth Llewelyn been there done that mould.

Some decent signings, but possibly not the superstar names some of us had been hoping for / expecting.

happyH (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:36
On the list from flat pat that's only 31 (excl academy). Would suggest a fair few more? To come?

C'mom Brissss

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:54
I would expect another 14 re-signings or new signings on top of that. Of the out of contract players I would like to keep Cortes, Varndell and maybe Pisi for another year.
I would like another,
Flyhalf
Scrum Half
Hooker
3 x back 3
Centre
2 x Lock
2 x Prop

They would have to be worth it though, so a few with a bit of pedigree to get us to a squad of 45 outside of the academy. Thatís quite a turnover though so maybe wishful thinking on my part. thumbs down

lukesmith17 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 23:09
I would like to see Pisi, Varndell, Crumpton, Cortes and Harris Wright all signed for next year

Field marshall (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 23:14
Quote:
I disagree FM, big risk relying on 2 inexperienced in top flight 10ís in IMO the most important position on the field.
We were lucky last season that Searle could step up but I donít want to be bemoaning not staying up again due to missing kicks etc.

I haven't seen Searle do anything that Sheedy can't. I also think that Edwards is probably the most under rated player on the team (by the management). Before he got injured he looked one of the most comfortable in the AP last year. I'm amazed and disappointed he hasn't been used more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 23:16 by Field marshall.

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 23:45
Thatís my point though FM, we would be lucky if Sheedy could step up in the Prem, itís a huge risk when we need to absolutely survive. I would be more inclined to agree with you if Sheedy was getting loads of game time this year and looking magical.
Iím on the fence with Edwards, times Iíve thought, wow! Others Iíve thought, you are out of your depth. Not great under the high ball but looks good going forward.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 00:46
It may be an unpopular opinion, nut I think that Sheedy is to the manner born.I can't recall many players with the temperament he has displayed at his age under the kind of pressure a 10 can be under. He's more farrell than ford (if you catch my drift) and that's exactly the kind of player we want. I'd love to see Edwards given a decent run in the 1st team, you are bang on of course but he's earned the chance to prove if he's up to it.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 00:57
So as Searle refused a contract and we obviously want to retain him, is he the first player we've had under Lam to decide he's better off elsewhere and not want to play for Bris? I wonder what the reasoning is.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 06:13
Surprised if Edwards is staying, seeing as he has been ignored all season.

Personally I am a big fan. As mentioned above, he looked one of the few players who was comfortable at Prem level when he played.

He has weaknesses to his game, but doesnít get the free pass that Varndell enjoys, for some reason.

Paulie (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 13:39
This is why we voice opinions. People keep going on about how Henson's injury cost us our season. I take the view that Varndells injury towards the end of the season was probably more damaging as he and Woodward were cutting teams to pieces. When he got injured we lost our one area of speed and predatory instinct. To compare the all time record try scorer to Edwards does Varndell a disservice as Edwards is an average winger who has maximised every aspect of his game but will never be a top quality finisher. Apart from the try against Exeter I don't see where people get there high opinion of from.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 14:32
Forgive the formatting but iím doing this from my phone. Iím just finding myself vaguely atosed at what our starting xv could be next season.

1. yann
2. thacker
3. Afoa

4. vui
5. mulowney
6. Lam
7. Heenan
8. Luatua

Stirzaker
Madigan
varndell
1.Piatau S
1.Leiua
1.Morahan
c puitua

EC Boy (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 16:13
We need big Joe and Dan Thomas in there!

Paulie (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 16:46
I'd be surprised if Jeffries isn't starting next year, probably in place of Lam

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 10:06
Quote:
thorpebayexile
Forgive the formatting but iím doing this from my phone. Iím just finding myself vaguely atosed at what our starting xv could be next season.
1. yann
2. thacker
3. Afoa

4. vui
5. mulowney
6. Lam
7. Heenan
8. Luatua

Stirzaker
Madigan
varndell
1.Piatau S
1.Leiua
1.Morahan
c puitua

I was just chatting with one of your boys on the Falcons board regarding your potential XV. Then I read this....

"The rule on foreign players has been amended to come into line with the regulations in European competitions. A maximum of two foreign players can now be on the pitch at any one time, at all periods during the season."

A foreign player in this instance is a Non-EU player. So looking at your potential XV, I can see around 10 or so non-EU players, a few over the limit!

JamboBris (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 10:12
Foreign players are only from New Zealand and Argentina. Luatua is of Samoan decent and Piutau is Tongan so again doesn't count. Hence Leicester with a large number of Aussies etc

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 10:17
Quote:
JamboBris
Foreign players are only from New Zealand and Argentina. Luatua is of Samoan decent and Piutau is Tongan so again doesn't count. Hence Leicester with a large number of Aussies etc

That's rather bizarre, can't locate that anywhere.

Both Luatua and CP are capped by NZ, surely that counts?

After posting it I do seem to recall us playing Sinoti, Goneva, Tuk and Matevsi in a few games together.

Earlsbris (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 10:22
Kolpak - itís down to passports not caps

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

JamboBris (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 10:24
Yeah it's strange. Pacific Islanders don't count. Nor do Boks under the Kolpak ruling. Might be wrong about Australians though.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 10:29
Ah cool, clears things up a bit....you might sneak them all in yet winking smiley

Good luck for the coming season anyway.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net