rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Current Page: 8 of 11

Re: Lam's Squad Vision
T J (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 07:53
Without wishing to drag up old news, Id like to give a special shout out to our dearly departed Andy Robinson for the ingenious signing of Thretton Palamo.

I cant really say much else, other than WTF was that all about? Total waste of time and money.

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 09:07
You could relate Robinson's Thretton Palamo to Lam's Reiss Cullen!

JamboBris (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 09:29
Think Cullen at 20 years old has far more potential.

PJ6 (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 09:39
A little concerned about the volume of outgoing players, but it's clearing a lot of cap space!

Sadly, not sure any of the departures can help us thrive in prem, only possible exception Gaston.

Still expect a few big incomers!

Furriner (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 09:44
Forget Prem for the time being, we still need to scrap our way out of the Champ. With Ealing threatening to get max points from their remaining matches we could do with a good win at Nottingham

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 10:13
Quote:
Furriner
Forget Prem for the time being, we still need to scrap our way out of the Champ. With Ealing threatening to get max points from their remaining matches we could do with a good win at Nottingham

+1

With our injury list I think there's a real possibility we'll blow it again. Hope I'm wrong.

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 10:28
Quote:
EverOptimistic
Quote:
Furriner

+1

With our injury list I think there's a real possibility we'll blow it again. Hope I'm wrong.

We cannot gather seven points from three matches? Don't need the eighth due to points difference of +120 in our favour.

A win next Friday could even be enough as Ealing still have to visit Yorkshire. What an entertaining game of running rugby that should be!

Graham_U (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 11:56
Palamo was a punt when we were desperate, his international form made it look promising. There have been signs of some potential there particularly going forward but we've never had the luxury of giving him the training needed in defence as we were in such a poor position. He a long way from the worse signing I've ever seen.

Why BS suggest that Riese Cullen, a young player with massive potential who has added pace and urgency to the team when he has made his few appearances in the first team, is beyond me. Mind you people were making similar comments about Pisi last year. I really question why Cullen has not been given more opportunities at this level, which is a step up from the Scottish Club game.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
30 March, 2018 14:39
Quote:
Graham_U
Palamo was a punt when we were desperate, his international form made it look promising. There have been signs of some potential there particularly going forward but we've never had the luxury of giving him the training needed in defence as we were in such a poor position. He a long way from the worse signing I've ever seen.

I think you are being very generous in your comments, he was 28 when he joined and could not do the basics right. His reputation was built almost solely around 7s rugby where his undoubted athleticism and speed allowed him to shine in all the extra space and where there is generally a lack of complex tactics. In the 15s game I believe he played twice (not sure they were even full games) for the Eagles and his CV is a collection of short stays at various clubs where invariably he was either released or loaned out. I have no idea why Bristol took him on to their books and even less idea why he was retained this season?

RJC (IP Logged)
31 March, 2018 11:54
Pat Lam isnt hindered by the playoffs like AR was.
AR could only get the players available at that time, or get players on stupidly high money at the end of their careers.

PL is getting players in their prime or on an upward trajectory, (with the exception of a few older players). Comparing Palamo to Cullen is pointless.

AR failed to build a prem ready squad and was unfortunate with injuries. The jury is out on PLs legacy.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
31 March, 2018 12:09
Whilst I can agree with some of your points about Palamo Sam, I think you have to remember how desperate we were at the time. Although it does seem like one where someone got overly impressed by his highlights video.

I think your wrong about him being just a 7s player, it was his decent showing in the RWC2015 that he was most known for when we signed him, and his caps were well into double figures. FYI he made his Eagles debate in 2007RWC, before trying American Football and the 7s he returned to the international 15s in 2014, although was at the 2016 Olympics. Actually when you see how much 15s he had played in his career its a surprise that he looks so naive for so long with us.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Field marshall (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 00:20
I went up to Kingsholm to watch the Japan vs USA game and Palamo was the best player on the field. I'm no fan of AR but I can't blame him for taking that particular punt, he'd have been cheap.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 10:01
Hilly pulled our own dear and beloved St David Lemi from sevens and look what happened there.

I think Palamo could be/have been a brilliant player; are we sure PL has disposed of his services and not attempting to bring him along? He does often emphasise the 'coach-able' nature of some of the recent signings.

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
01 April, 2018 10:30
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
I think Palamo could be/have been a brilliant player; are we sure PL has disposed of his services and not attempting to bring him along? He does often emphasise the 'coach-able' nature of some of the recent signings.

As I alluded to on another thread, therein lies the rub according to feedback from people who worked with him elsewhere.

MrGreyUK (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 07:49
For those of you questioning & debating Pat Lam's Squad Vision
There is a chance to ask him directly

"Bristol Rugbys senior management team are set to meet supporters in a Q&A evening at Ashton Gate later this month.

The event which is free to attend will take place on Thursday, April 19th in the Heineken Lounge at Ashton Gate.

Chief operating officer Mark Tainton, head coach Pat Lam and chief financial officer Gavin Marshall will review the season so far on and off the field, as well as answer questions from fans (7.30pm start doors open from 7pm)."

See you all there!

MrGreyUK
Older - But no wiser

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 06:38
Looking forward to the time where promotion is a mathematical certainty. ive been convinced that there are one or two signings dependent on promotikn that will get annoonced then.

dpw (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 09:28
Shhhhhhhh.............!
Could one of these be JL?

JamboBris (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 09:33
JL? Don't think any are dependant on promotion. Much rather being held back to be announced near season ticket sales for me.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 10:06
I think from both parties point of view there may be some who are dependant on promotion.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 10:43
I thought Pat inferred some time ago that he wouldn't sign players who demanded a get out clause? Probably around the time of Luatua or C. Piatau?

Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net