rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

James Phillips
Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 21:37
Fairplay to the big man, Man of the Match for Barf today and scored a cracking try, bouncing off 4 people including Dave Denton and Chris Pennell.
Looks like he’s back in the form he showed getting us promoted in early 2016.
I don’t care who he plays for now, it’s just great to see him reaching his potential in the big league.

Re: James Phillips
Furriner (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 08:40
Couldn’t agree more, Cunning S. He had a good match.

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 09:23
Take a bow Mr Phillips, awesome display - shame about the colours but what a display

Platwell House (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 09:52
Well done lad, good to see him starting to meet his potential. Shame David Denton is going the other way. Always rated him before his move to Bath and the slide began.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 10:23
It was his first start for his current team.

He's back to his 'here's the ball, there's the line James' best. Can he sustain the form, I think that's been his problem; consistency.

That particular try was just brutal power, if he did that week in, week out I think Billy Vunaploa wouldn't be missed by England as much as he is at the moment.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 11:57
Jamie's Rugby isn't the problem, it's his conditioning. He struggles to do 60-70 minutes at that intensity hence his few starts. If he could get down to his pre-injury weight, he'd be even more effective.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 13:18
I don't think JP has ever full recovered from the injuries (was it a broken leg) after he moved to Ex when we went down. He was like Sherri when he first broke into our team as a very young lad, far better than anything he managed on his returned. He would regularly be running forward with the numerous opposition hanging off him. In my view far more effective as a No.8 running off the back of a scrum than lost in the tangle as a short heavy lock.

He was never as honed, or naturally fit as the likes of Sherri, more of a larger version of Thomas (Tank) Waldron. Hence he has really seemed to have struggled for full fitness since that injury, which lead him into a downward spiral. It was almost in embarrassing to see his condition when he played against us for LScot. We managed to get him into a level of fitness and he put in some good performances, but IMHO he was never quite back to full fitness or as good as the youngster that came through the academy. It will be good to see if this performance at Barf can give his career a kick that recovers some of that early firm, just so long as its not against us.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:53
Someone I was in conversation with last season, at AG who alleged to know JP socially, stated that 'James doesn't live the life of a professional athlete'.

Hopefully discipline at Farleigh Spa will bring him back to his best.

T J (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:06
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Someone I was in conversation with last season, at AG who alleged to know JP socially, stated that 'James doesn't live the life of a professional athlete'.

He doesn’t - he’s an old school rugby player who has done better than anyone (including himself) probably expected.

He’s from Cleve RFC and still lives his life as if he were playing for their 1st XV with the rest of his mates.

None of this is meant to sound disrespectful, just the way it is. He’s a top bloke though and a very proud Bristolian.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:40
Not a million miles off TJ. Probably slightly more professional than the Cleve 1sts though!

Graham_U (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 12:34
Sounds similar to the Ben Morgan story without the realisation of what he could achieve with real dedication that happened when Morgan went over the bridge and got fully fit. From seeing JPs early days I think he had the same potential, although both have struggled back from injuries.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net