Re: Ben Youngs
Rich. (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 10:27
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
As I have previously said- Exeter have to start spending more money
Moray Low?

Yep they are struggling big time.

Exe are very good at developing local talent and making more of players (e.g. Ollie Woodburn) than other side's did. They have also made a few shrewd overseas signings.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:06
Quote:
AlexIS
Any potential Bristol transfer targets need to be viewed through the lens of whether they fit into Lam's system.

That key and well proven point. As said above BY has his strengths and weaknesses, but he fits well with the current England style. We've had a host of Prem and International SH who we've made to look pretty average at best as they didn't work with the style of play. Will Cliff for example started well for us, but by the end was pretty poor, but has gone back to Sale and now looks comfortably prem class. We don't want a big name for the sake of it, we want the best fit for the team and style, preferably one young enough to provide some stability for the future. If you want an experienced big name then stringer is available now, he may be 40 but he would still be better value that Peel was 3 years back.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:12
Stringer, even at his age, would suit us for a season

Brilliant pass, always in front of the receiver rather than at him

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 12:21
Saw Cliff come on in one recentish match for Sale and thought he was poor, made a huge error too which cost his team IIRC. Commentators said as such as well.

He's no doubt a decent player but can't say he looks comfortably premiership standard from what I've seen. He can perform at that level but consistency is the issue. Faf before him highlighted the difference.

Not retaining Alby Mathewson seems like a huge error we have yet to address.

dpage (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 14:53
I understand that we have recently signed a Southern Hemisphere scrum half.

Davidp

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 15:47
Quote:
Rinkadink
Saw Cliff come on in one recentish match for Sale and thought he was poor, made a huge error too which cost his team IIRC. Commentators said as such as well.
He's no doubt a decent player but can't say he looks comfortably premiership standard from what I've seen. He can perform at that level but consistency is the issue. Faf before him highlighted the difference.

Not retaining Alby Mathewson seems like a huge error we have yet to address.

As a Sale fan, I would say that Will Cliff has exceeded our expectations this season. We werent particuary sorry when he left us for you as he hadnt done enough in his time with us and it is fair to say that we were underwhelmed when he re-signed. But credit to him, he has really stepped up this season. He has always had a decent pass and kicking game and whilst he will never set the game on fire (de Klerk does that), he is a much safer pair of hands than Faf when we need to just see out a game.

Rich. (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 15:55
Quote:
dpage
I understand that we have recently signed a Southern Hemisphere scrum half.
Davidp

ooh can you tell us more David?

Big Dave (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 16:42
17 to go?

dpage (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:35
Very good source. I think it's true.

DavidP

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 13:48
Whilst acknowledging the trawling of forums and social media for information, the BP makes some decent observations on Ben Young.

Bristol Post

Leicester do need to freshen things up which could mean more game time being given to younger 9's in their squad. Ben Young is only 28 and will absolutely want to add to his England tally, so a move to us isn't such an absurd idea.

Lets see....!

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

happyH (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 19:07
DavidP without revealing the player or your source, is their any indication when any announcement might be forthcoming?

CMON BRISSSSSSS

T J (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:49
Ben Vellacott please.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:46
Hmm. I thought this one might fizzle out, but Leicester have commented on it...

[www.express.co.uk]

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 07:37
I see the Express has demoted Steve Lansdown. And that Jake Polledri is in the Italy squad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 07:39 by Gray_Lensman.

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 07:38
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
[www.express.co.uk]

I think that link does indicate this WILL fizzle out. Good link find

robtheh (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 08:44
Slightly O/T: the new Midi-Olympique hack, Paul Eddison, has said that "...Strettle's move to Bristol isn't official yet..." for whatever that's worth!

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 09:10
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
[www.express.co.uk]

Possibly but there's a lot of carefully chosen words in there, such as "hopefully" and "all the indications are..."

Suggests that some sort of talks or approaches have taken place at very least.

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 09:24
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
[www.express.co.uk]

Possibly but there's a lot of carefully chosen words in there, such as "hopefully" and "all the indications are..."

Suggests that some sort of talks or approaches have taken place at very least.

Perhaps but not totally sure. O'Connor may have been asked the question 'is Ben leaving to join Bristol?" And that question might simply have come from inaccurate speculation. His agent, for example, may have sneakily put it out as a way of encouraging Tigers to pay more moment to Ben. Or the agent may even have approached us to see if we may potentially be interested if Ben became available and we may have simply said yes we may potentially perhaps possibly be if he is available.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 09:34
Other than money (and i suspect that Youngs is already pretty set for life with presumably a 200k plus annual salary, plus 70 odd caps at 20k+ per appearance), I can't see any reason why such a family-oriented chap would want to move to Bristol.

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 11:20
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Other than money (and i suspect that Youngs is already pretty set for life with presumably a 200k plus annual salary, plus 70 odd caps at 20k+ per appearance), I can't see any reason why such a family-oriented chap would want to move to Bristol.

And I guess his England salary takes him up to nearer half a million a year

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net