rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: When will new signings be announced?
bris_rob (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:05
Afoa & Thacker most likely. Very interesting to see who else we bring in shame about Jonny Gray, he would have been a great addition but it does demonstrate the quality of player we are targeting.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 13:56
I'll nail my prediction to the mast.

I reckon Afoa, Haskell, Matu'u, Thacker, Strettle...
...and a 9.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:07
So, without speculating myself, just based on the strongest media confirmed rumours we have a Pat Lam tier 1 team so far of:

1 - Soane Tonga'
2 - Moto Matu'u - strong rumours
3 - Afoa
4 - ?
5 - Vui
6 - Luatua
7 - ?
8 - Lam
9 - ?
10 - Madigan
11 - Strettle ?
12 - S Puitua
13 - Leia
14 - Morahan
15 - C Puitua

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:09
I know I don't rate him but Haskell is the opposite of the skillful, ball handling back row player Pat is no doubt after. It's nothing personal against JH honest

JamboBris (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 15:58
Think our back row will be
Jefferies
Heenan
Luatua

Portisteve (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:01
dan thomas is pushing for the 7 surely as a starter next seaason - one of our stand out players who will only improve in the prem

11 January, 2018 16:28
I agree. Dan Thomas looking like he'll be just fine at 7 in the Prem, but as we know from experience we need strength in depth. There WILL be injuries, sure as eggs is eggs.

bris_rob (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 18:21
I agree regarding Dan Thomas. He was a stand out in the pre season fixtures and been an ever-present in the league squad. PL must rate him and he seems to be the perfect 7 - always in the right place at the right time, supporting well and linking forwards and backs. I really hope he keeps continuing to improve and shines in the prem next season.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 18:47
Dan Thomas should (and most likely will) be starting next season as the incumbent 7...incredible workrate, and whilst he isn't the biggest, he puts in some huge collisions.

Furriner (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 18:49
Yup, Im also a Dan Thomas fan. My only caveat is his hands: he needs to work on that because a fast, mobile 7 has to be capable of catching and passing fluently. All the time.

Portisteve (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:27
Just a shame hes welsh!!!

Field marshall (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:50
Quote:
I know I don't rate him but Haskell is the opposite of the skillful, ball handling back row player Pat is no doubt after.
And Crane is not a skillful as Haskell!
I think that Luatua should be starting at 8 with Lam at 6 (who seems to be getting a very hard time on here - people have very short memories) and Thomas at 7 with Robbo having walked.

bs11 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 21:30
I think Crane gets a raw deal alot on here.Backrow is all about balance and I think having Luatua/Jeffries/Thomas getting out in the wider channels Crane gives you the grunt up the middle you need.I do rate Jack Lam but prefer him as a flanker rather than an 8 although he does a decent job there when required just like to see him taking the offload slightly wider than he does when he plays at 8.
As a side not I really hope Haining has his injury troubles behind him now and can get a good run of games to show what he can do as by all accounts he's a good strong carrier himself.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:34
I thought Luatua gives us plenty of grunt, but really see him best at 8 with ball in hand. Agreed with Furriner that Dan T has been outstanding as a 7 but is sometimes let down by his handling, but still better than most.

IMHO Jack Lam has been a long way from his best in the last season or so for Bris. Not sure what it is, but the best game I've seen from him recently was his world class performance for Samoa against Scotland. If Pat can get him playing at that level then we have a top class back row, with Jefferies added in as an 6/8 for rotation. Crane at his best, which he was not for much of last year, is a solid, if less mobile work horse at 6. We do not need Haskell!

If we were looking for an additional backrow player I would say it must be worth looking at the best 7 in the UK who can not get a look in with his national side for what ever reason. James "Cubby" Davis looks like a pub player but is the is the best 7 I've seen for the last couple of season. Fast enough for GB 7s, turn-over king and with some real power. Doubt we could get him to leave Scarlets but as he is not wanted by Gatlin he might be tempted by a few SL s.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

JamboBris (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:53
TRP saying strettle back to Sarries so not happening. However we've signed Lewis Thiede from Ealing at tighthead and retain and interest in Haskell too apparently.

14 January, 2018 11:33
I've heard Haskell is a done deal. Joining the Wasps exodus and apparently opening up a gym down here.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:38
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
I've heard Haskell is a done deal. Joining the Wasps exodus and apparently opening up a gym down here.

Vastly experienced, very professional, and a energiser around the squad - I would be happy with that

Platwell House (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 12:04
Personally to have someone like Haskell around would be great for the Bristol players of the future. Bit like Gav and the work he did when injured.

I still think that the signings will be drip fed over the next few months but boy this is a patience game.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 12:08
Sorry Alex, all I've heard is exactly the opposite Alex, big self centred disrupter. The last thing we want in my book, and with all that experience he still makes mistakes and is inconsistent. Don't see anything he offer us that we don't already have and we really don't need to sign player for experience, least of all in the back row.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Field marshall (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 14:54
Quote:
big self centred disrupter.
I would hope that whoever told you of that has been put right since. Haskell is a proper professional who has played for clubs in Australia, japan, france and internationally for england and Lions. He has never been subject to a single accusation of being disruptive, has never left a club under a cloud. He's a popular person in rugby circles. He's not everyone's bag, he is a loud character and has particular talents on the field but it is grossly unfair to accuse him of being anything but a model professional on the basis of....not much. talking about the on field stuff, he's a lot better than Crane is.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net