rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Social media
inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 13:57
The club's somewhat off-the-wall social media postings continued this afternoon on Facebook with a Bristol Rugby player superimposed with a wendyballer's face.

Could it be they're getting into gear for another announcement?

Big Dave (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 15:19
What's "wendyball"?

(SPOILER - I know the answer, I'm being cheeky).

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 13:44
Quote:
gran
I am interested in how people exchange views on Bristol rugby.
This rugby network seems to me by far and away the best medium for getting snippets on what is happening and it's my first port of call.

But the club uses Twitter for last week's 9 announcements, and Twitter seems the way to go for score updates. Should we all be tweeting? I hope not.

Meanwhile the spat on the B**h forum reveals that alot of their fans use Facebook...

It all depends on what you are doing.

If you want to find out instant snippets of information, for example club announcements or following a game that you can't get to, then Twitter works well. You won't get a lot of detail, but that is not what Twitter is about. You will however be able to follow a game as the clubs are good at zapping out scores, substitutions, card penalties, and all the other bits & bobs that add up to a picture of the game as it happens.

Facebook is an odd one, as like these forums it depends on who is making comments at the time. It is chronological, so most of what you get is people adding their own short comments to whatever the latest two or three topics happen to be. I have never seen it work well as a means of having discussions, it is not really designed for that. It works for mothers telling the world about how lovely their children are, and then other mothers can say aaah, but for rugby discussions it is pretty limited and hopeless. On the message board you see a range of topics for discussion then choose what you want to look at, on Facebook you scroll down through history which is like having to read through every thread in detail before you get to the next one. Good for saying how cute your cat is, not great for following a number of discussions.

Not surprisingly, even though they have been around for about 20 years, the message boards are much better suited to discussing rugby, other sports, or even such things as hobbies or professions. They were after all designed for exactly that purpose, which Twitter & Facebook were not. The Sportnetwork rugby sites are split into individual clubs for a start, so already you narrow things down to the club that you are interested in. You can see all the topics that have interested people of late, choose which one to read, and easily pick up where you left it last time. It is a format that works well.

Other formats may come and go, remember Friends Reunited, MSN Messenger, or Myspace? Some people like to flit amongst whatever is 'happening' at the time, always keen to use the newest formats, but the rugby message boards remain popular because they work well in a way that others do not. Until something better comes along, I imagine we will all keep nattering away on Sportnetwork, even if the adverts are bloody annoying.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net