rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: Today’s game
St00 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:01
I agree that Thomas was the best player on the pitch yesterday and Morahan made the most of the scraps than came his way but Rhodri Williams must be due a few pats on the back. Put the kick up for Morahans score, hassled Dickson into conceding the 5m scrum for Hainings score and the only Bris player I can recall making a clean break. Unusually for a SH he also did the full 80 minutes, so Lam could also see how influential he was.

youngone (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:15
Thomas was excellent, it would be so unfair for him to not be in the 1XV next season at least to begin with - he looked genuinely devastated at the end which is good when you considered we had just beaten 4th place and he himself played a good game. I echo those views on Morahan who is such a class act and one I'm excited to (hopefully) watch in the prem next year.

It's the sign of a good team to win when your playing badly but there can't be any more emphasis on the need to bounce back with a clinical performance against Ealing next round.

Bristol Cornish (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:55
Apologies for being positive (I certainly wasn't yesterday!), but it seems like we've been complaining about our defence for years now, but yesterday it won us the game.

The set piece was terrible and Bedford had a lot of ball, but I really didn't feel like they would break through our defence except with a driving maul. I was relieved when they took the points from penalties a couple of times rather than kicking to the corner.

I watched the game again when I got home and I thought the same. Dan Thomas's grumpy MotM interview was very funny...

Peter D (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 10:59
Quote:
Bristol Cornish
Apologies for being positive (I certainly wasn't yesterday!), but it seems like we've been complaining about our defence for years now, but yesterday it won us the game.
The set piece was terrible and Bedford had a lot of ball, but I really didn't feel like they would break through our defence except with a driving maul. I was relieved when they took the points from penalties a couple of times rather than kicking to the corner.

I watched the game again when I got home and I thought the same. Dan Thomas's grumpy MotM interview was very funny...

Absolutely. The defence was very good. I too am concerned about the pack. Individually they are a talented group, who often play well. As a pack they are an embarrassment. I can only assume that is down to coaching.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 11:27
Agreed BC - there were times, especially in the second half when we kept them behind the gain line for sustained periods, definitely our best defence performance that I've witnessed this season.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 11:30
Indeed, credit where it's due, that was a much improved defensive performance

Furnessman (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 11:49
Calling International rescue front five needed for ailing championship side, with laughable aspirations to do well in Premiership, this current side would actually be embarrassing in the Prem

Graham_U (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:19
Well a wins a win which we must be thankful for, but like the Hartpuy and Ealing games we were second best for much of the game and still haven't sorted out our forwards. I thought Morahan showed what some many other lack the heart and commitment to make things happen. Without doubt my MoM, Although Dan T was the pick of the forwards. Pat talks a lot about sticking to process, but IMHO we may have seen the down side of that's with the danger of turning a team of individuals who are better man on man than their opponents into unthinking Robots afraid to use their own ideas/instincts. That's what it looked like for most of the game when we struggled to improve with the scrum was in trouble, the attack pressurised by Bedford who came with a plan for us, and we made too many mistakes and gave lazy pens away. The two tries were far more to do with the individual that the process.

Our defence was OK, but I think it was flattered by the scoreline, as they could easily have had at least 2 more tries on another day. IMHO, like all our game, it was still far too passive without the urgency we will need in the Prem which is the only standard I am interested in. For much of the game we gave far too much ground until Bedford made the error. There were very few big hits, but luckily one by Bevvy turned the game, He brought some real urgency to the game, the level we should be playing for 80 mins in preparation for the prem but which we only managed for a few short spells. we need to

I think it also coincided with a number of our best players have poor games, Luatua until the last 10 mins looked like he was just off the plane, and a shadow of his brilliance. It was not just the knock ons but his work at No.8 was awful, unable to get the ball out and adding no weight when we needed. He also gave away stupid pens at the lineout. I having discussed this with others during and after the game I'm surprised that other thought he did well unless you are picking up on the last 10 minutes when he seemed to wake up.

Jefferies also looked a little of the pace compared with his normal high standards, and also seemed to add little help to the struggling scrum when at 6. Vui gave pens away as he seemed to take easy option before the card/injury, a fault that seemed common throughout the team. Joycey was a lot quieter than recently. The front row has been discussed in details, although I'm amazed at those that think JHW is a good line-out thrower. This was probably at his best yesterday but like most of our hookers has struggled at key times in most of his games.

In the backs, the problems in the forwards meant we got very poor ball a lot of the time and the conditions didn't help but we seemed to make far more errors than Bedford. Pisi probably made more mistakes in that game than the rest of this season. I noticed a lot of Madigan's passes continue to go behind the received, and take the pace out of any move. Its been a common fault with him but was shown up by the pressure we were under. Either we need to lie deeper/better time the set moves, or he need to pick the pass in real time and put it in-front of the runner.

I thought many aspects of Rhodri W games were good, and with one undefended charge down exception his box kicking was the best we have seen from him. But I did think he could have done better to get the ball out quick from the retreating scrum.

Vandall seemed on a different script to the rest and probably offered his best contribution on the side of the scrum when a man down. Whilst he was a player I would not have signed for his premium wages, in his first season I thought he looked committed, hence I defended him when he was getting slaughtered by many on here. Last season he looked good at times, but this season he often looked disinterested and shown a lack of commitment or incredibly bad technique. He seemed to be arguing with the bench a lot yesterday. He certainly doesn't have the acceleration to make things happen anymore, and we only really see the pace when he has a run in. Yesterday in the first half there was a kick through where at full speed and committed he had a good chance to get their first, or at least cause them a lot of bother. He looked more favourite than Luke did for his try on the other side, but he never seem committed to the chase or to get into top speed and we missed the chance.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

BigO (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 13:41
Very painful watching. It was, hopefully, just the kick up the bum they needed. Credit to Bedford, who came with a plan and stuck to it.

In the backs, I thought Morahan and R Williams looked like the only two up for the fight. Varndell looked worryingly off the pace.

In the forwards, Haining looked a more natural fit at 8 than Luatua (granted, he must be rusty) - and looks like the sort of player we've been missing since DWS, given time. Thomas is Mr Consistent. As for the others, especially the front row (Bevvy aside), it was pretty turgid.

Bristol Cornish (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 15:05
Alapati Leiua always looks up for the/a fight!

He doesn't pass much, but he runs and tackles 100%...

jonkarit (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 15:40
I wasn't there so cannot comment about the game. But I was incredibly unimpressed by Mr Lam's interview.I have watched it 5 times. It was complacent and sounded very like one Andy Robinson.

A second point is that at Bedford last September,Bristol won by 61-39. No doubt somebody can compare the teams that both sides had out that day but Sunday's result hardly shows progress. [I know the super optimists think the defence was good]

SimonB (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:58
9 of the Bris starters at Bedford started again, and another 3 came off the bench. It was probably the strongest side we could put out, as on Sunday. The biggest difference was the props where at Bedford it was O'Connell and Thomas (who was a total liability and now back in Wales). Haven't compared Bedford but a lot of the names were familiar and it was no doubt the best they could field both times.
The conditions then were excellent and the games could not have been more different. I was at Bedford and left with a distinct worry over a defence which shipped 5 tries.
We have progressed well in defence since then - which is critical, and until yesterday also in attack.
As we saw the forwards scrum performance was a shambles and the backs kept dropping the ball. The number of scrums in the game must have ben 4x that at Bedford and we had no sort of platform until late on. So it was little wonder the backs were under pressure from a very physical Bedford outfit.
I think the mindset yesterday was that, after the experience at Bedford, it would be a walk in the park. There was a rude awakening in the first half and credit to Bedford they looked the better side until the last 20 when we started to get a grip on the game, helped by the front row changes and the excellent Haining coming on.
We all know that the forwards is a big issue, allied to the coaching. 7 of the 9 new announced last week are forwards with 5? front rowers so that aspect is being addressed. I fully expect a change in forwards coach to be announced at some point before the season ends.
One thing this will have done is concentrated a few minds on what is needed at Ealing in 2 weeks.

jonkarit (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:31
Thanks SimonB very helpful

Furnessman (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:59
thanks SimonB lets hope you are right regarding forwards coach, in the Prem that front five are IMHO vital to whether we survive or not and to be honest now sick of being a yo yo club

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:39
Quote:
Furnessman
thanks SimonB lets hope you are right regarding forwards coach, in the Prem that front five are IMHO vital to whether we survive or not and to be honest now sick of being a yo yo club

I don't really see us as a yo yo club any more as we've been a Championship club for the best part of a decade. That said we don't really fit in with either the premiership or championship cartels.

I really hope we finally get things right and compete at the highest level the game offers once again.

30 January, 2018 13:41
back in the days of Hill/Haag, it was a seasoned front five that not kept us up and then took us to the giddy heights of 3rd in the prem. It's so important that we get this part of the squad sorted, hopefully the new recruits go a long way to doing so

Graham_U (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 13:28
SP I think you must also add the best and most aggressive defence I have ever seen from a Bris team, with the needed fitness in addition to the rock solid pack as the reason we did so well under HRH. We had very little pace or attacking play, but could drive a team back in the scrum or when they had the ball. Thing we can rarely do now, even at the lower league.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

31 January, 2018 16:59
Completely agree Graham

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net