Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: Haskell
robtheh (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 20:52
Quote:
Big Dave
I only asked.
The reason being that the only place I've ever seen him so described is on here .

Same here.
Strikes me (as someone else has said upthread) that heís similar to Henson in that regard: highly thought of as a professional, by fellow professionals, but with a few blots in his off-field copybook, perceived or otherwise.

Cotman (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 21:06
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
Quote:
Cotman
I wonder if we will have another sign up Saturday tomorrow.

Isn't it Thursday tomorrow?!

Yep I'll repost the above on Friday or Sunday instead.
(my bad)

T J (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 07:36
In terms of Haskellís character, the answer to the issue in my view is that Warren Gatland thought his character was good enough to take him on a Lions tour, safe in the knowledge he would struggle to start a test.

Disruptive characters have a strong chance of being highlighted on Lions tours, and Iíve yet to hear anyone whose opinions really count make such comments about Haskell.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 09:16
I too have never heard a single hint of him being a disruptive character, in fact quite the opposite. Whilst he messes about off the field with his youtube stuff and self-promotion, there's no suggestion that it's disruptive to the team environment at all. Gatland said that he was great on the Lions tour, not only because he was truly honoured to have been drafted-in, but also because he was good fun and brought a lot of energy

Furnessman (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 09:45
I think we would lose anything having the goon show in our squad ie: Haskell and if Marler became available, they would be able to do a double act down the Comedy Club on Fridays!

delthedoor (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 10:09
Quite agree with you Fman, Gatland and Jones obviously know nothing about them having merely watched them play, train and tour.
Whereas you.....

Graham_U (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 10:36
I think Rich summed Haskell best for me, although Haskell has always been a marmite player with massive form swings. The one thing we need under Pat is the sort of workrate that is declining in Haskells game. We have just signed two 34 year old forwards so we don't need (and can not afford) anymore experience, and have Luatua who is a better and much younger player in his position, and Jefferies as the young shooting star. So we don't need a player on a steep decline looking for a pay day.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 10:41
As Graham says, don't forget that Chris Vui played nearly all his matches for Worcester last season at blind side. Depending on lock signings he could be also used in the back row

Knowle Blue (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:26
I hoped this would stay civilised, yet you Furnessman seem intent on using childish names, to describe players you plainly donít like. Everyone is more than entitled to voice their opinion, and wether others agree or not is all part of the fun of these forums. Delthedoor has put it well, and I would like to add this, I very much doubt youíd be willing to be so vocal with your name calling to the faces of these players. Then again thatís just my opinion, Iím hoping even more so that Bristol sign Haskell now, and he moves to Bristol, and becomes your neighbor

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:53
Gav is an interesting comparison.

Gav was accused, on occasions fairly, of having behaved a bit silly, like. I am sure he did. What I could never work out was why he got it in the neck while other players we could mention got away with their own misdemeanours.

I am pretty sure that it was snobbery, pure and simple. He was an ambitious working class lad who didn't know his place. Beckham got the same.

What connected the two of them was that whatever their failings (and they were hardly guilty of war crimes) they were both consummate sporting professionals whose work ethic was never questioned. I thought Gav was great in his time here, injuries not withstanding. I also never had any doubts about signing him, other than his injuries. I positively wanted that talent and experience in our squad. The rest of it seemed so much irrelevant noise allowing people to exercise tired prejudices.

Haskell, I have no reason to doubt his attitude unless someone wants to give me specific examples of why I should do so. None have been provided above other than innuendo.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:58
Also there's a weird point about us fans.

I met this bloke on the way to Twickenham (sorry if you are reading this and it's you) who told me that he'd run into Gav somewhere and had said to him,"I met Gav and I took him aside and said, 'OK, we all know about the past and what you've done, but you start here with a blank slate. The past is forgotten and it's what you do for Bristol now that counts.'"

Frankly, that's a bit a odd. None of us know these people, we can have views on things but sometimes these character judgements that get made are on the verge of unhinged. Unless you actually know that someone is a wrong 'un, and have the evidence to back it up, I reckon you don't get into innuendo to justify what can only be your rumour based assumptions and/or baseless prejudices.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 15:59
Apart from Stuart Barnes off course. Clearly a wrong 'un.

*JOKE*

expectingrain (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 16:03
Nothing personally against Haskell it's just a matter of whether we need him. I'm sure the money would be better spent on proven quality front 5 payers where we are desperately weak. The backrow is probably one of our stronger areas.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 16:07
Quote:
expectingrain
Nothing personally against Haskell it's just a matter of whether we need him. I'm sure the money would be better spent on proven quality front 5 payers where we are desperately weak. The backrow is probably one of our stronger areas.

And that is a debate worth having! For what it is worth I agree, but we've already had Haining and Luatua out, we're likely to see JL with Samoa, and Thomas, for all his heroics, would have a lot to prove in the prem. I think we should buy experience in the back row and he fits the bill.

Peter_B (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 16:17
He would definitely be useful this season if we could come to a deal for the rest of the campaign.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

expectingrain (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 16:18
Quote:
Big Dave
Quote:
expectingrain

And that is a debate worth having! For what it is worth I agree, but we've already had Haining and Luatua out, we're likely to see JL with Samoa, and Thomas, for all his heroics, would have a lot to prove in the prem. I think we should buy experience in the back row and he fits the bill.

We also have Sam J at 6 and I recon Vui would be pretty useful there to, but I take your point. The trouble is even with SL we surely haven't got unlimited funds and need to prioritise somewhere.

M9sbh (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 19:47
Iím hearing Haskell is a done deal, and also that next season Bristol will use UWE as a feeder club akin to Glos n Hartpury. Sending a lot of academy youngster their to get good game time and free up space for more players to join the squad. Not sure of max squad size though?

JamboBris (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 20:18
In the BUCS league? No max squad size, limited by cap space though.

Olly (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 22:19
Ref my disruptive influence comment which seems to have stirred a few. Yes badly worded I admit but It wasnít aimed at Jamesís ability, commitment,character or
motivation but just something I was told long before any hint of him moving to Bristol and that was that his sense of humour has been known to wind up people within the dressing room the wrong way and cause friction. To my mind and as I said before I have never met the bloke so canít judge and nor am I a Wasps fan or follower so my knowledge is admittedly poor. It was just me thinking aloud that his sense of humour could be a good thing if you have players with like minds but disruptive if it offends.
I didnít mention Gavin but as someone has taken the trouble too, yes I questioned his appointment too.
Before he left I made a point of personally shaking his hand, thanked him for everything he did and told him he had proved me wrong, very wrong. I wasnít alone in my thinking back then but how many took the time to say it to the man??
If Haskell can do as well as Gav get him in.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 22:37
Quote:
Iím hearing Haskell is a done deal
Good.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net