rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Re: Haskell
TimothyQ (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 06:20
In order to be competitive, I think we need at least 6 premiership quality back row forwards. At the moment, we can be confident that we’ve got 3 (Luatua, Lam and Vui), and one of them will probably play in the second row. At this stage, Haining, Jeffries, Thomas etc are complete wildcards and we will be lucky if one of them develops into a top class player. Haskell would be an incredible signing, and I’d like to see another back row forward come into the squad as well as Heenan.

BigO (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 08:55
Given where we are, I'd bite his hand off.

It's not often a current England international is genuinely up for grabs, even if he's now on the fringes of Eddie's thoughts.

Used strategically - on and off the field - he could be a big asset. Yes, he can come across as a bit of an @rse sometimes, but underneath that there's a valuable resource.

Money would be important though. If he wants mega-bucks, we should invest elsewhere.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:17
If what's reported in The Times about him being happy with a lower contract in build up to world cup it would be good for us and him. That Australia series he was immense and with a full pre season behind him who knows.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:52
Jefferies is no wildcard Tim, he proved last year he was Prem standard in a poor pack. I'd certainly not see that all 6 of your prem standard backrowers would have to be on the Haskell size wage package, with the stars we already have there we want some more hungry rising stars. Even with SLs money the Salary cap means a club with our recent record can not afford to pay a big chunk to a another player where we are already paying for the likes of Luatua, Crane Lam and as other have said Vui played there a lot for Wuss, and I'd suggest he is better suited, as I wonder if he is a bit too light weight for the boiler room.

Muldonny can also play at 6 at Pro12 level, although at his age not sure if he can still do it at that level. At least one of the hookers has played 7 at that level. I really don't see Thomas as a risk, he came from the Prem environment at Glaws at a rising star and has continued a meteoric rise outplaying the higher paid/rated team mates. I would say its no more of a risk than if Haskell would fit in and keep his form, e.g. Crane didn't exactly prove he was worth his high wage initially despite being similarly built up, and ended up blocking youngsters on better form. I'd hope Pat can bring Haining into contention with a good pre-season to make him an 80 min player.

I don't think the Gav example is the same, yes he had well documented problems off the pitch in his career, but seemed to have got things sorted on the pitch at Barf, and he was signed in a position where we were struggling to field a champ quality player or any great experience in our squad. Our first choice at 12 at the time was Ben Mosses, not exactly a match for the stars we currently have in the backrow. That one certainly worked and Gav became so critical to our team, not surprising due to the lack of cover at 12.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

JamboBris (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:11
Going off topic entirely... speaking of hookers, do we actually have 2 that are fit for next weekend? Jay Harris-Wright is but aren't McMillan, Crumpton, NFW all broken? Capon coming on to bench?

Rich. (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:27
From what I've read Muldoon would only be coming here as a coach

Furnessman (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:53
Quote:
Knowle Blue
I hoped this would stay civilised, yet you Furnessman seem intent on using childish names, to describe players you plainly don’t like. Everyone is more than entitled to voice their opinion, and wether others agree or not is all part of the fun of these forums. Delthedoor has put it well, and I would like to add this, I very much doubt you’d be willing to be so vocal with your name calling to the faces of these players. Then again that’s just my opinion, I’m hoping even more so that Bristol sign Haskell now, and he moves to Bristol, and becomes your neighbor

Knowle Blue I would not be afraid to call either to their face fools because they are, to get sent off for a stupid piece of play when just been recalled for international duty is extremely foolish and I am sure behind closed doors Uncle Eddie will say the same. However if they wish to punch an elderly gentleman in his face then let them do it I don't mind. I like to know your view on the sendings off for both straight after being picked for England?

Furnessman (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 12:01
if its a done deal then I am happy with that just because he's a fool doesn't necessarily make him a bad player I like his enthusiasm , ball handling is a bit iffy, and we will need to teach him to get used to water if its squirted at him, but all in all cannot make the team worse so good

Knowle Blue (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 12:21
Furnessman. The sending off situation is at best inconvenient for England and Wasps/Quinn’s however both these players are abrasive within their play. Which I’m sure you’d agree is pretty much what is needed, I can recall people berating Martin Johnson during a game against us because he played on the very edge of the laws. However mate. When Johnson pulled on the shirt of England, then the same persons that berated Johnson loved him. I firmly believe we need him (Haskell) or someone like him, to be a pain in the rear to the opposition, to receive a few frustrated punches.

Paulie (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:18
I don't think you can compare Haskell to Market. The aftermath of Haskells tackle showed the type of guy he is as he stayed with the player on the ground until medical staff arrived to make sure they were ok. He also accepted the red card with grace.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:41
Very true - Marler goes out to hurt people. Haskell goes out to play hard and when it results in someone getting hurt, he made sure he was OK. Marler is the type of fvckw1t that would more than likely have stayed with him to make sure he was hurt and to do something else if he wasn't hurt enough

Professor.S (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:12
Haskell to Saints with Eadie to Bris?

Field marshall (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:50
Quote:
lower contract in build up to world cup it would be good for us and him
Good point. With the motivation of the RWC looming, you could be sure he'd wring out every single drop, every single game for us.

Rich. (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 23:14
Quote:
Professor.S

Be nice!

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 00:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 00:23 by Standardprocedure.

Rich. (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 09:04
Good point standardprocedure

robtheh (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 11:58
Quote:
Professor.S

Not for me; I’d rather have Haskell.
Eadie isn’t good enough, in my view, to be a squad member.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 13:04
Rich: slight typo, Muldonny== Aly Muldowney who as far as I know we have signed as a player. Not John Muldoon who Pat should have brought with him as a player and capt. at the start of this season, but is retiring from playing at the end of the season and currently his future is not defined.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Rich. (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 13:22
Ah right with you now Graham - my 'bad' I'd forgotten about Aly Muldowney

LA Angel (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 19:18
[www.ruck.co.uk]

According to The Rugby Pod, Northampton and not Bristol are favourites to win the race for the 75 times capped flanker.

“Northampton again is rearing its head,” Andy Goode told the podcast. “Bristols (sic) is an option, but I think he wants a higher level. I don’t mean that badly against Bristol but he wants to compete, in the top six. Hopefully with Chris Boyd coming next year and couple of signing they can make a difference.”

We'll see who is a higher level in a year or two...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net