rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Reiss Cullen out on loan to Cardiff Blues
Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 14:47
Yes, it's great he's getting game time, but what I can't understand is why Blues think he's good enough to start against LI (albeit in a weakened for in an Anglo-Welsh game) whereas we don't think he's ready to go into a Championship match.

Re: Reiss Cullen out on loan to Cardiff Blues
AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 14:51
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Yes, it's great he's getting game time, but what I can't understand is why Blues think he's good enough to start against LI (albeit in a weakened for in an Anglo-Welsh game) whereas we don't think he's ready to go into a Championship match.

He isn't starting, that's a misleading headline in the BP. Your point still stands though.

I think it says more about Cadiff's paucity of options than anything else. After all, he still has no more than a handful of minutes game-time (if memory serves correctly) as a professional player.

02 February, 2018 15:03
Thanks Alex, I should know better than to rely on 'facts' stated in the BP!

You're right about the difference in options - however our no.1 option has decided he doesn't want to be here next year. For that reason, I hope that after the Ealing game (assuming we win, of course!) that our other 9s are given some more game time and RW is asked to take a back seat

AGS (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 16:06
At best he was on subs bench for our B&I games. Now we're out of the B&I we're loaning some players out to get game time, this time for AW cup. Don't see the issue

02 February, 2018 16:18
The issue being that the Anglo-Welsh is (in my view) a higher standard of competition that either the Championship of the B&I Cup, yet he's deemed good enough for the Blues, whereas he's a benchwarmer for us in the B&I Cup only.

As Alex says, it could just be that the Blues have little or no other option, but it will be interesting to see how he goes

SimonB (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 16:35
This is another new recruit we have seem practically nothing of. From his video pre signing and from the very little I have seen of him he looked a really good prospect. Instead his experience, and hence prospects, have gone backwards. I don't know why he was recruited in the first place if the coaches won't give him some opportunities.

Doubt we will see him again.

Peter D (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 16:48
Doen't say inthe Post that he's starting that, just that he's named on the bench.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:39
There's a post along these lines every time someone goes out on loan.

Can we not just have faith that Pat Lam and team know what they're doing? 14 out of 14 isn't too shabby really.

hooter (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 08:58
I will be a lot more confident if we can make it 15 from 15!

Furriner (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 09:40
Three ĎBrisí boys in the Cardiff squad last night. Edwards played on the right wing and Ollie at 7. Cullen on the bench but not mentioned so I assume didnít get a game. Sounds like it was a stuffing in the second half.

AGS (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 10:59
The B&I cup games have shown us the complete lack of depth in welsh rugby. Cardiff don't have a good enough "A" team to compete in the B&I let alone the Anglo-Welsh cup. So they need some players to help them cover their matches, and we have players needing game time. Also useful that Cardiff are close by so players don't need to move house and can easily be called back if needed at short notice.

Don't forget that we have called upon loans from other clubs many times that haven't necessarily resulted in permanent moves - a certain Hooker starting for Scotland later today was on loan to us from Edinburgh while making his transition from back row to hooker.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 12:51
See no problem with this. Rhys was well regarded at Watsonians, and has looked good when ever I've seen him come on, but is not getting a look-in from the our coaches team pick. So anything that gets him game time has got to be good for him. Apparently he did get on last night, but it looks like the game was lost by then. As for the level of the Anglo Welsh compared to the Chanp, I don't think you can tell. LI are playing most of their first team where are other are playing their youth teams, similar to those we've played in the A league. I suspect the Donny or Leinster teams we saw at AG in the B&I cup would not be outclassed in most AW games, same goes for most of the top 6 in the champ as well.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net