rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Pich Markings
rjssomerset (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 11:52
I was in Rome for the Italy game. The stadium is also used by the Roma and Lazio football teams. Not a sight of anything other than rugby white line markings.
The next evening Lazio were on TV playing on same pitch and not a sign of any rugby white lines. How do thy do it, Cant our ground staff try and do the same as whenever we are at home the football markings are still visible.

Re: Pich Markings
Brizzlonian (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:21
Is that really a massive issue? I'd rather then finances went on recruiting a new front row!

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:21
Grass looked much longer in Rome than Ashton Gate's Desso pitch. Maybe easier to wash it out or cut the whitewash out by have shorter grass length for the football?

rjssomerset (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:58
No its not a massive issue but worthy of comment and probably neglible in cost

AndyJB (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:11
I thought the football markings were permanent and can only be temporarily over painted. Someone commented at start of the season that Bristol City had opted for a relatively narrow pitch to suit their play wheras Pat may have preferred a few extra meters.

Rich. (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:45
Quote:
rjssomerset
No its not a massive issue but worthy of comment and probably neglible in cost

Too true

Someone in a top match (forget who and where) scored a 'try'the other day on the football goal line which was about 3 feet in front of the rugby goal line;so it of course got ruled out (didn't need TMO to decide either!). So it can be a problem. Must have an impact on those kicking for touch potentially as well + looks messy and amateurish. So yes if next to nothing to fix it would be good but I suspect Cidered has the answer there.

Similarly why can't they develop a pitch paint that won't end up all over the players' shirts? After 30 mins England are no longer wearing white but I kind of smudged rainbow colour. When it first happened a few years back the commentator thought it was because the pain hadn't been able to dry due to rain but it seems to be a problem whatever the weather.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:33
On multi purpose hardcourts they use different colours,maybe that would help?

08 February, 2018 14:57
I would have thought it was down to the FA of the country involved to set their laws/rules about playing surfaces and markings, with an overview from FIFA for European games etc....

Bristapo (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 16:28
Never seen pain dry Rich.

Rich. (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:01
Quote:
Bristapo
Never seen pain dry Rich.

You've clearly never been out drinking in Merthyr

Olly (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:01
I did hear that the Man City manager thought the rugby markings were something tactical that Brs City were using so can cause some confusion ha ha

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

08 February, 2018 21:54
Quote:
AndyJB
I thought the football markings were permanent and can only be temporarily over painted. Someone commented at start of the season that Bristol City had opted for a relatively narrow pitch to suit their play wheras Pat may have preferred a few extra meters.

The pitch was narrowed by approx 0.75 metres or 75 centimetres.

Rich. (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 23:53
Quote:
Cidered Abroad
Quote:
AndyJB

The pitch was narrowed by approx 0.75 metres or 75 centimetres.

Is that on each side or in total?

AndyJB (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 00:07
City manager said just under a metre both sides. Anyway it only takes a couple of inches to make a difference

Jimeno (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:46
Info: I remember back in the '70s that City had one of the biggest pitches in the UK - maybe even second biggest in the four divisions.

There was a bit of a hoo-ha amongst the fans when the touchline under the Dolman stand was moved in so that the spectators there could see the whole pitch.

09 February, 2018 10:13
Quote:
AndyJB
City manager said just under a metre both sides. Anyway it only takes a couple of inches to make a difference

There are "Smoke and mirrors" in operation about the change in pitch dimensions. The Club have not published a new dimension, just a pre season statement by Lee Johnson that "we've narrowed it a little it".

The pitch has traditionally been 115 yds x 75 yds and this is translated into metric at 105m x 69m.
I cannot find any official data on EFL Championship web sites for this season of the actual dimensions. City are not allowed to alter the pitch dimensions during the playing season so cannot go back to what it was before first league game.

My take on it as follows.

The goal posts for football and rugby have not been moved as this would involve digging up the concrete bases that go down some way under the pitch.A massive job in the week before start of the season as the supposed reduced width was first used at a pre-season friendly against FC Twente a week before the start of the season.

Outside the touchline on the Lansdown stand side is a narrow area of grass now at approx 1 metre. Last season it was approx 0.25 to 0.5 metres.
Then the rest of the area between that grass and the stand is Astroturf or similar. The astroturf does not appear to have been replaced with wider sections. What a wasteful cost that would have been? 115 m x 5m!

So the conclusion of me and several colleagues who sit near me, is that the pitch has been narrowed by a maximum of one metre and possibly less. Hence the comment "Smoke and Mirrors". I doubt that any of the players both football and rugby have noticed any difference.

Then again, I could be talking out of a lower orifice im my body!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net