rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
London Irish
Big Dave (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 18:06
Bottom, looking like they are coming straight back down. So, a comparison with us.

Over the 22 games of last season we got 20 points and 3 wins. Average points for 17, against 32 per game.

14 games in LI have one solitary win and 14 points. They average 16 for and 28 against.

We averaged 0.9 points per game, they average 0.7 points per game.

To be honest, that makes Newcastle's achievement over the last few years of pretty decent mid table finishing look not too shabby. Worcester pulled away but I think they might have been catchable.

But in the last two seasons LI and Bris seem to have come up pretty similar.

As you were. . .

Re: London Irish
Peter_B (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 18:23
But their supporters had high expectations whereas we were a little apprehensive.

They won their first game but havenít looked like winning since.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Bris Bob (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 19:07
All the more important we dont do the YoYo. Doesn't make things great for the Premiership or Championship and will just fortify league re structuring and fencing arguments IMOP

AGS (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 22:51
Can see Irish losing a lot of their first team who won't be willing to spend a second stint in the championship. Their crowds are falling (3k last game) and how's a season in the championship going to help them establish a following if they return to London as rumoured? Couple that with a well drilled Ealing team already strengthening for next season (Sam Disckinson announced today) and I can see Irish in a downward spiral very quickly.

Tiny George (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 07:55
Good point about LI losing players AGS but Iím wondering how many Ealing will lose. Weíre rumoured to have signed a couple and I suspect that some Premiership clubs will too.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 08:24
It could be curtains for London Irish as a fully professional outfit.

Speaking to an ex player at a wedding last summer he said moving to Reading really put the brakes on the team and return to London is their only hope of being a force again.

Rich. (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 08:25
Was that 3k for a Prem game??

Long term moving back probably best for getting more fans (if they can get back up) but yes, short term at least..... I couldn't see the Ealing match last week but, short of safe Prem standard as we currently are, Ealing are clearly not far behind us and it will be a big challenge to Irish next year.

Bristapo (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 09:53
Didn't Ealing have around 1500 for the Bristol game...with I suspect a high percentage from us. How is that sustainable in the Prem if they ever get there ?

MarkJ (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 10:37
Suspect there will be some sort of merger between the two as they are both in West London. Ealing have the finance and the driving force, Irish have the history and the name. Put together they could make a powerful club.

airdog (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 10:46
on the subject of support you have to wonder if the Ealing owner is daft enough to continue to waste ploughing money into the hopeless cause that is Ealing Trailfinders .
There is no way starting from where they are now they can ever hope to break into the top tier so can I in the spirit of friendship suggest he excepts the reality of the situations and if he wants to give away some of his wealth he spends his money on something else , lets face it there are no shortage of worthy causes .

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 11:34
WOW @ the last 2 posts.

What horrid arrogance.

airdog (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 11:39
horrid arrogance or stating the blinkin obvious ?

Peter D (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 12:47
I tire a little of Bristol supporters telling other clubs whether or not they can succeed. As if we have ever succeeded. The beauty of league rugby is that clubs with aspirations can rise to the top. No one in 1987 could have imagined that Worcester would be one of the top dozen clubs in the country. Still less would Saracens or Exeter have been tipped as two of the best club sides in the land. In 1987 Saracens were playing in a park in Cockfosters - a nice enough club but no suggestion that they would ever dominate in the way they have in recent seasons. If I remember correctly we were away to Exeter in our first game of our first season out of the top flight. They played in a run down stadium with a speedway oval around it and crumbling terracing with shrubs growing out of it. There were a few hundred supporters. They didn't look like potential champions of England.

The other side of that is clubs like Coventry, Moseley and Bristol, who most would have expected to be successful, have been failing to fulfill their "potential." Twice in the last twenty years we have almost gone the way of West Hartlepool.

Moselely and Coventry are in tier three, we've struggled since 1998 (that's twenty years) to become fixtures in the top flight - and it is still not clear that we will achieve that any time soon - although I'm more hopeful than I have been for some time.

If Ealing aspire to play in the Premiership, all power to them. and yes, it's a risk. If they fail, they fail. That's sport. If their backer has the funds and the commitment they can succeed. If they succeed they will grow their brand, just as Exeter, Saracens and Worcester have.

Yes, I call it arrogance, and it is not "blinkin' obvious". Ealing have come pretty close to succeeding in keeping us out of the Premiership. Good luck to them - and any other club who want to rise to the top. Merit is what gets you there - that's the point of competitive sport.

robtheh (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 12:52
Quote:
Peter D
I tire a little of Bristol supporters telling other clubs whether or not they can succeed. As if we have ever succeeded. The beauty of league rugby is that clubs with aspirations can rise to the top. No one in 1987 could have imagined that Worcester would be one of the top dozen clubs in the country. Still less would Saracens or Exeter have been tipped as two of the best club sides in the land. In 1987 Saracens were playing in a park in Cockfosters - a nice enough club but no suggestion that they would ever dominate in the way they have in recent seasons. If I remember correctly we were away to Exeter in our first game of our first season out of the top flight. They played in a run down stadium with a speedway oval around it and crumbling terracing with shrubs growing out of it. There were a few hundred supporters. They didn't look like potential champions of England.
The other side of that is clubs like Coventry, Moseley and Bristol, who most would have expected to be successful, have been failing to fulfill their "potential." Twice in the last twenty years we have almost gone the way of West Hartlepool.

Moselely and Coventry are in tier three, we've struggled since 1998 (that's twenty years) to become fixtures in the top flight - and it is still not clear that we will achieve that any time soon - although I'm more hopeful than I have been for some time.

If Ealing aspire to play in the Premiership, all power to them. and yes, it's a risk. If they fail, they fail. That's sport. If their backer has the funds and the commitment they can succeed. If they succeed they will grow their brand, just as Exeter, Saracens and Worcester have.

Yes, I call it arrogance, and it is not "blinkin' obvious". Ealing have come pretty close to succeeding in keeping us out of the Premiership. Good luck to them - and any other club who want to rise to the top. Merit is what gets you there - that's the point of competitive sport.

Very well said

13 February, 2018 13:13
i was gearing myself up to write a response to airdog, but I see that rob had beaten me to it in a far more compelling and eloquent fashion that I could have hoped to! well said sir

robtheh (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:14
Quote:
Standardprocedure
i was gearing myself up to write a response to airdog, but I see that rob had beaten me to it in a far more compelling and eloquent fashion that I could have hoped to! well said sir

Peter D, not I.

13 February, 2018 13:18
Quite right, credit where it's due - well said Peter!

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:19
I think the only thing Ealing need to worry about is the concentration of clubs in that area. A merger with another would be a useful option.

Rich. (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:21
I suspect there were only about 1,000 (if that) Exe fans at that match back then as well.

I suggest it's best if we respond to posts without labelling people (e.g. as arrogant) however. I think the arguments given in response were so good that they would likely have caused a re-think, whereas labelling people tends to make them less moveable on their stand-point and runs the risk of creating antagonisms on this site amongst fellow Bristol supporters! It was only the other day that there was much mutual patting selves on back on this site when comparing ourselves to some of the discussions on the bath board among a few of their fans - so let's keep it comradely.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:43
Ealing won't merge, why would they? It's a little offensive given how far they have come in recent years and where they want to be. Great club and if the RFU especially help sort the championship then I could see them making a sustainable push to the promised land.

There's a really good vibe in Ealing at the moment, its fully deserved and I hope they do well.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net