rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

The pitch at The Gate
airdog (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:41
given the current Arctic conditions are expected to last all week and with our game on Sunday in mind can someone tell me if during the revamp of Ashton Gate undersoil heating was installed , or is it not needed with a Desso pitch ?

Re: The pitch at The Gate
Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:48
No, there's undersoil heating. Apparently it's actually mainly used because it is a Desso pitch, it helps with the growth.

airdog (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:51
thanks Gray , I was sure you would know .

AGS (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 15:48
That's why the footballers roll around on it when they get tackled, just to keep warm

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 22:34
Having watched BT coverage of the Prem games this season and visited the Wreck on a few occasions I have to say one more of the benefits we've gained from our move to Ashton Gate is the magnificent playing surface.

Ashton Gate isn't perfect for the Bristol Rugby supporter (yet) but it's light years ahead for the players.

Rich. (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 08:00
As far as I thought was the case Wasps and Leicester have the same pitch as ours but they look in much worse condition (although much better than before they changed to their new types)

edb (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 12:54
Quote:
Rich.
As far as I thought was the case Wasps and Leicester have the same pitch as ours but they look in much worse condition (although much better than before they changed to their new types)

I've thought this for a little while, have to say the pitch at Welford Road looks appaling this season.

I note with interest there are complaints about Rovers pitch as well - I thought once they got rid of us they would have the pitch and the football of their dreams...

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 13:44
One must assume that the undersoil heating was installed by SL because he hopes/intends that City will get to the promised land sooner rather than later.

However, as far as I can see, the Premier League rules are a bit vague on this issue and some clubs have gone up, and back down, without it whereas others have had it installed as a result of promotion.

I am also assuming that the installation of undersoil heating has been to try to ensure that matches are not postponed due to inclement weather but in fact more games are probably postponed because of treacherous conditions on the approaches to a stadium than due to a frozen pitch.

The biggest benefit as far as I can see, is that the soil temperature remains high enough during the mid-winter for grass to continue some growth. Perhaps that is why the Welford Road and Ricoh pitches are looking a bit worn if they don't have it whereas Ashton Gate is looking very good. Although it's had it's full share of manure since Christmas when City have been at home!

A Bath fan last season asked why we need a billiard table to play rugby on.
Because the game of rugby football has changed dramatically from the one I used to watch as a child with 80 minutes of scrums on wet muddy pitches, to a game that it now is.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 14:05
Quote:
edb
I note with interest there are complaints about Rovers pitch as well - I thought once they got rid of us they would have the pitch and the football of their dreams...

It'll still be our fault that the pitch is churned up though!!

Rich. (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 15:01
I know what you're saying Cidered and you're generalising but when I was a child (born 1966 so pick your ages of a child) I was watching Morley, Plummer, Carter, Chris Williams, Ralph Knibbs, Polledri (ahead of his time), Hull and others playing beautiful running rugby. I recall the odd wet up jumper game but not so many and I don't recall being frustrated by lots of scrums - in fact though there were more they were started and competed much quicker (though generally the scrum problem has gone this season in relieved to say). Of course those players I mentioned would haven loved playing on the AG pitch and rugby is definitely better for such pitches!

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:04
Quote:
Rich.
I know what you're saying Cidered and you're generalising but when I was a child (born 1966 so pick your ages of a child) I was watching Morley, Plummer, Carter, Chris Williams, Ralph Knibbs, Polledri (ahead of his time), Hull and others playing beautiful running rugby. I recall the odd wet up jumper game but not so many and I don't recall being frustrated by lots of scrums - in fact though there were more they were started and competed much quicker (though generally the scrum problem has gone this season in relieved to say). Of course those players I mentioned would haven loved playing on the AG pitch and rugby is definitely better for such pitches!

I saw exciting games in the fifties when plenty of tries were scored. It's just that I also remember a couple of games against Cardiff in wet weather that ended 0-0 and I suspect that none of the wingers got to hold the ball at all.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:58
Yes I remember some of those CA, the forwards won it and the ball was passed to Cliff Morgan who kicked it into touch down in the corner, you could kick directly into touch then, the forwards won it again and pushed over to score (4pts?)
Gee it was boring it’s surprising anyone bothered to watch it - but we did

Graham_U (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:35
Rich, I've never heard that Wasps or Cheaters put a Desso pitch in at their places. The Cheaters have always had a rough pitch more used to traditional rugby that took a battering when they built the big stand and have no round ballers to worry about. Until Wasps moved into Cov I didn't think anyone had the money for one. Both pitches have cut up easily for a number of season so if they are Desso they should be looking at the T&C for a rebate.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Rich. (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 22:08
I've just googled Graham and yes Tigers had a new hybrid one put in over summer - not desso but 'similar'
[www.leicestertigers.com]

Wasps - 'Owners Wasps laid a new XtraGrass pitch, combining synthetic turf with the real thing, in the summer of 2015'

So as far as I know (& it looks) they are both competitors with Desso but, as you say, Leicester and Wasps should ask for their money back!

shaunp (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 08:04
According to the Post City players trained on the pitch yesterday so no problems with that, but the game could still be called off because they are worried about little Johnny slipping over and breaking a nail on the way to the ground. If the pitch is playable then tell fans you come to the ground at your own risk. Simples.

Rich. (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 08:49
Quote:
shaunp
According to the Post City players trained on the pitch yesterday so no problems with that, but the game could still be called off because they are worried about little Johnny slipping over and breaking a nail on the way to the ground. If the pitch is playable then tell fans you come to the ground at your own risk. Simples.

Hmm, what about all the season ticket holders or people who booked tickets who either won't be able to get there potentially or don't want to risk going there? Wouldn't it be best for the customer if the game is rearranged? Also people have died due to the weather so it might not simply be a case of little Jonny hurting his nail.

Also, it might be ok by Sunday but certainly if the match was being played today I suspect a number of our players would not be able to safely get to the match let alone the players from Jersey! How would we feel if one of the players was seriously injured or worse following a car accident caused by the weather as they tried to get to the game?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 08:55 by Rich..

robtheh (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 08:58
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
shaunp

Hmm, what about all the season ticket holders or people who booked tickets who either won't be able to get there potentially or don't want to risk going there? Wouldn't it be best for the customer if the game is rearranged? Also people have died due to the weather so it might not simply be a case of little Jonny hurting his nail.

Also, it might be ok by Sunday but certainly if the match was being played today I suspect a number of our players would not be able to safely get to the match let alone the players from Jersey! How would we feel if one of the players was seriously injured or worse following a car accident caused by the weather as they tried to get to the game?

Absolutely right

Thorney (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:25
By Sunday we should have had two days of thaw, and during the match the forecast is for sunshine and showers, light southerly winds and a balmy(!) 7C. While the media love to hype every weather story by implying that a day of unusual weather is something the country has to endure for weeks, and public services lap this up with enthusiasm by closing as much as possible, the actual weather forecasts, you know the ones prepared by meteorologists, are pretty accurate nowadays, at least for a few days ahead.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 13:14
Quote:
Rich.
if the match was being played today I suspect a number of our players would not be able to safely get to the match let alone the players from Jersey!

and if my Uncle had breasts he'd be my Auntie!

The game isn't being played today, it's on Sunday. And there are no outstanding red (danger to life) or amber warnings for anywhere in UK at present stretching across next 5 days. South of England has a yellow ice warning until 1100 tomorrow, 4 hours before Jersey land. So maintaining an open mind, working hard to make the necessary preps in spite of some pretty grim weather earlier this week seems like a common sense approach to me. No-one's yet come up with any compelling reason why it should be necessary to cancel a Sunday game on a Friday...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 13:17 by tomthepom.

Rich. (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 13:21
I never indicated I thought it could or should be called off today! (and in fact I said it might be ok by Sunday) - I was (a) responding to the generality in the post in question post that ' the game could still be called off because they are worried about little Johnny slipping over and breaking a nail on the way to the ground. If the pitch is playable then tell fans you come to the ground at your own risk
+
(b) saying 'if the match was being played today' to give an example of the sort of conditions which can be about, and therefore how ? a view is that 'If the pitch is playable then tell fans you come to the ground at your own risk'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 13:33 by Rich..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net